Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

My bars are bent, what to get?

Go down 
+7
Arkmage
No~One
KLRchickie
trav72
SheWolf
NathanWiley
JustWannaRide
11 posters
AuthorMessage
JustWannaRide

My bars are bent, what to get? Empty
PostSubject: My bars are bent, what to get?   My bars are bent, what to get? EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 9:40 pm

Well, I was out on a nice 120 mile ride (as nice as it can be in 105 degree heat). I was riding along and started hitting some sand. Then lots of sand. My bike is going every which way so I stop and take a break. Air down the tires a bit. Ride for a while and all is well. Riding through sand, on dirt, rock etc. Then I hit really deep sand and she goes down. Went down three times not ant any crazy speed either. Picked her up right away and rode off. Well on the fourth time, my bars are bent. A bit awkward to ride anyhow I made it home.

So the question, what to get for replacement bars? Ideas, suggestions, what to look for, what not to get, etc?

Thanks all.

Oh, will try to post a pic tonight or tomorrow.

Image hosted by servimg.com" border="0" alt=""/>

Sorry for the horrible pic but its all I have right now and it gets the point across.

Last edited by JustWannaRide on Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added pic)
Back to top Go down
NathanWiley

PostSubject: Re: My bars are bent, what to get?   My bars are bent, what to get? EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 11:10 pm

If you want to stay with 7/8th bars I like Pro Tapers SEs. SE stands for 7/8. Really quality bars with a nice bar pad.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: My bars are bent, what to get?   My bars are bent, what to get? EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 11:23 pm

Renthals for the stock size. I love mine and if I ever have to replace them, I'll get another set. Kinda funny considering how many times it's been down and these Renthals haven't even tweaked where the stock bars on others' bikes have crumpled. My bars are bent, what to get? 93746

trav72

PostSubject: Re: My bars are bent, what to get?   My bars are bent, what to get? EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 11:39 pm

Pro Taper KX high bend fat bars. My bikes been down a lot and I've hit a few trees and no issues whatsoever.

My bars are bent, what to get? Bars10
Back to top Go down
JustWannaRide

PostSubject: Re: My bars are bent, what to get?   My bars are bent, what to get? EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 11:51 pm

Dang, you guys are awesome and quick!

I will check them out and post up here.

Pic coming soon.
Back to top Go down
KLRchickie

PostSubject: Re: My bars are bent, what to get?   My bars are bent, what to get? EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 12:11 am

SheWolf wrote:
Renthals for the stock size. I love mine and if I ever have to replace them, I'll get another set. Kinda funny considering how many times it's been down and these Renthals haven't even tweaked where the stock bars on others' bikes have crumpled. My bars are bent, what to get? 93746

We run Renthal 996 (or is it 966 scratch it depends which way up you read the number on the bars... don't feel like going out to look right now) on 5 of the bikes in our fleet. ZED bent the steel bars on his KLR & Z1000 before getting to switching, the others were switched because stock bar bends seem to really suck (we both like the straightishness of the Renthal bar we use - on the WRs we have risers to make them the appropriate height). The KLRs & WRs have had many a crash with the Renthal bars affixed with no mishap. ZEDs recent WR episode *may* have bent his bars - he hasn't ridden it again since out last readjustments to his front end to be sure, they may be slightly bent, or some other component may have been tweaked (& hopefully all is now realigned). If his bars are bent, they'll be replaced with the same. Considering how far he & the bike each flew, slightly tweaked bars is not a big deal - too bad fans & radiators cost WAY more than Renthal bars. GAHHHH Very happy
Back to top Go down
JustWannaRide

PostSubject: Re: My bars are bent, what to get?   My bars are bent, what to get? EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 12:17 am

Thank you, it looks like 966-05 on the Renthals.

Is there any good deals or best place for price to buy from whether it be Renthals or ProTaper?

Back to top Go down
JustWannaRide

PostSubject: Re: My bars are bent, what to get?   My bars are bent, what to get? EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 1:54 pm

Ok, trying to post a pic and its killin me.
Back to top Go down
No~One

No~One

PostSubject: Re: My bars are bent, what to get?   My bars are bent, what to get? EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 2:34 pm

I went with 7/8 blue Renthals (per recommendation of She Wolf) and I absolutely love them, laid the bike down on the trails a couple time and absolutely no tweak.

Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: My bars are bent, what to get?   My bars are bent, what to get? EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 3:30 pm

For you protaper guys... didn't you have issues with insufficient flat area on the ends of the bars (area after the bend)? I bought a CR High Bend pro taper bar and once I put everything back together the grips were hanging off the ends of the bars 1/4". I ended up going to easton bars but that means I can't use a lot of accessories like steering dampers, HDB clamps (w/ switches and stuff), etc.
Back to top Go down
JustWannaRide

PostSubject: Re: My bars are bent, what to get?   My bars are bent, what to get? EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 3:48 pm

No~One wrote:
I went with 7/8 blue Renthals (per recommendation of She Wolf) and I absolutely love them, laid the bike down on the trails a couple time and absolutely no tweak.

Do you know which part #?

Back to top Go down
JustWannaRide

PostSubject: Re: My bars are bent, what to get?   My bars are bent, what to get? EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 3:50 pm

Arkmage wrote:
For you protaper guys... didn't you have issues with insufficient flat area on the ends of the bars (area after the bend)? I bought a CR High Bend pro taper bar and once I put everything back together the grips were hanging off the ends of the bars 1/4". I ended up going to easton bars but that means I can't use a lot of accessories like steering dampers, HDB clamps (w/ switches and stuff), etc.

HHmmm, yes, I would like to know if there any issues like this with any of the choices albeit a ton of choices.

I never knew there were some many variances in all the dimensions of bars.

Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: My bars are bent, what to get?   My bars are bent, what to get? EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 4:56 pm

I just put a set of ProTaper SE on yesterday...because they were $30+ cheaper than the Renthals I set out to get. I tried the CR highbend.
There is barely enough room to squeeze all my controls on, though they will fit if packed tightly. Forget about cutting them shorter, unless you want smaller grips.
And I will have to bore the ends to accomodate the inserts for my Zeta handgaurds, at least thats my solution.
Back to top Go down
MotoKirby

PostSubject: Re: My bars are bent, what to get?   My bars are bent, what to get? EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 11:50 pm

mucker wrote:
I just put a set of ProTaper SE on yesterday...because they were $30+ cheaper than the Renthals I set out to get. I tried the CR highbend.
There is barely enough room to squeeze all my controls on, though they will fit if packed tightly. Forget about cutting them shorter, unless you want smaller grips.
And I will have to bore the ends to accomodate the inserts for my Zeta handgaurds, at least thats my solution.

Don't bore the bars, just go to your local shop and get the correct smaller ends that will fit inside the bar. You will use the same bolt. Heck I was at cycle gear last week and they had a box of these things and just gave me a couple for free.

Back to top Go down
mr-cave

mr-cave

PostSubject: Re: My bars are bent, what to get?   My bars are bent, what to get? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 4:29 am

I have a question to you who has mounted fatbars and/ or risers.
Is it neccesary to buy new wires or are they long enough?

Or did you reroute wires a bit?

Just wondering because i was thinking of mounting a fatbar too.
Back to top Go down
simonpig

simonpig

PostSubject: Re: My bars are bent, what to get?   My bars are bent, what to get? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 3:56 pm

Just reroute cables and adjust the binding at the cable adjusters. I've had an additional 2.5 rise no problem. I've got a scotts damper which rise and a taller fatbar.

mr-cave wrote:
I have a question to you who has mounted fatbars and/ or risers.
Is it neccesary to buy new wires or are they long enough?

Or did you reroute wires a bit?

Just wondering because i was thinking of mounting a fatbar too.
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: My bars are bent, what to get?   My bars are bent, what to get? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 5:52 pm

If you look at my pic above, you can see my throttle cable have been rerouted to underneath the bar. This will give you enough length for taller bars and risers.
Back to top Go down
JustWannaRide

PostSubject: Re: My bars are bent, what to get?   My bars are bent, what to get? EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 11:01 am

What did you all do to bars regarding the plastic tabs on the throttle and killswitch/starter. Inside the mount they have a plastic tab that goes into the holes drilled in the factory bar. Are you all drilling holes in the aftermarket bars or are you grinding/sanding off the plastic tab thing?

Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: My bars are bent, what to get?   My bars are bent, what to get? EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 11:03 am

I saw the holes but not the tabs... I guess I broke them when I installed the components dunno
Back to top Go down
mr-cave

mr-cave

PostSubject: Re: My bars are bent, what to get?   My bars are bent, what to get? EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 1:20 pm

JustWannaRide wrote:
What did you all do to bars regarding the plastic tabs on the throttle and killswitch/starter. Inside the mount they have a plastic tab that goes into the holes drilled in the factory bar. Are you all drilling holes in the aftermarket bars or are you grinding/sanding off the plastic tab thing?

When i changed bar on my XT660X a couple of years ago i just grinded the pegs down. Worked just fine.
Will do the same on the 250X next week when i will change to a fatty....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My bars are bent, what to get?   My bars are bent, what to get? Empty

Back to top Go down

My bars are bent, what to get?
Page 1 of 1