Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Slow to start after air-filter cleaning and oiling?

Go down 
+3
YZEtc
greer
toddwmac
7 posters
AuthorMessage
toddwmac

Slow to start after air-filter cleaning and oiling? Empty
PostSubject: Slow to start after air-filter cleaning and oiling?   Slow to start after air-filter cleaning and oiling? EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 1:59 am

Oil charged filters are new to me. Is it normal for bikes to struggle to start right after a filter service?

I Just cleaned and charged my air filter (Sprecto SX oil) and the bike would not start. I cracked open the filter box and pulled the fillter and it turned right over. (like always)

The filter is soaked but not dripping (per product instructions and manual) I squeezed the filter again with some paper towels to take out some of the oil and it will now start but still struggling.

The Spectro instructions had me spraying the filter for almost 2 minutes (45 seconds internal and 60 exernal) I've never used an oiled filter but I now know that was WAY too much.

Should I clean it and strart again or will it improve as it breaths? It seems to run ok.

Thanks

Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: Slow to start after air-filter cleaning and oiling?   Slow to start after air-filter cleaning and oiling? EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 5:58 am

I'm betting that's still too wet. I'd at least go after it with more paper towels. If it's dried to the point you can't remove any more excess, you may have to start over. 'Lightly but evenly oiled" is what you want, best I understand. I drizzle fine lines of oil all over the filter inside and out, drop it down into a plastic bag and squeeze it all around. Don't wring it. It takes a while, but when you're done, the lines will have disappeared and the filter will have a nice even color.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Slow to start after air-filter cleaning and oiling?   Slow to start after air-filter cleaning and oiling? EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 6:27 am

I agree with Sarah - you put too much oil on the filter and it won't pass air.
I'd clean it and do it again.
May as well get the hang of this because, especially if you're riding off-road regularly, you should be able to do this with your eyes closed. ;)

The filter only needs to have a thin oil film covering the foam on the inside, outside, and through the foam material.
Basically, just enough to tint the color of the foam in the same color of the filter oil you are using (although if you are using the stock foam filter, it would be hard to notice this since the foam is a dark color).
It doesn't require that it have so much oil that pinching the foam will result in oil running out of it.

Myself, immediately after putting the foam filter oil on the filter (before the oil has a chance to become fully tacky), I'll wrap the filter inside and out with paper towels and squeeze out as much oil as I can.
I'll do this twice.
The results are a perfectly-oiled air filter.
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: Re: Slow to start after air-filter cleaning and oiling?   Slow to start after air-filter cleaning and oiling? EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 7:56 am

Thanks YZEtc and Sarah, just the type of descriptions I was looking for (I'm also new to oiled air filters.)

I did mine about a month ago for the first time, I think I did it correctly...
Back to top Go down
mr-cave

mr-cave

PostSubject: Re: Slow to start after air-filter cleaning and oiling?   Slow to start after air-filter cleaning and oiling? EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 8:45 am

I know Putoline sold kits with some buckets.
One that you pour some kind of cleaningsolvent in, and in the bottom of it you have a grid that is raised from the bottom with about 1-2 inches. So all dirt kan go trough there and be collected beneath the grid and you can use the cleaning solvent many times.

Just rinse with water and let dry.

The other bucket is filled with their oil so you can soak the whole filter there and then twist and squeese out all oil.

I used that system when i was competing some years ago.
Smart and simple sollution if you have to clean and oil filters every now and then.

But i know that today many riders prefer spray oil.

That kind of first step "hood" filter cap is a good thing to save the filter in heavy dust situation too.
Sometimes its just enough to tear the "hood" off when you arrive at home and just clean it and give it some oil.

Just as a tip....
Back to top Go down
toddwmac

PostSubject: Re: Slow to start after air-filter cleaning and oiling?   Slow to start after air-filter cleaning and oiling? EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 10:54 am

Thanks everyone...that makes a lot more sense than the MFG directions of "soaked but but dripping" I should have followed my gut.

Are there any aftermarket filter setups worth considering or is the OEM setup acceptable. The bike spends a lot of time on dusty fire roads chasing my wife as she learns to ride.

T
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Slow to start after air-filter cleaning and oiling?   Slow to start after air-filter cleaning and oiling? EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 1:39 pm

I like the Twin Air brand filter because it fits more snugly on the metal filter guide (the thing that goes inside the foam filter).
Back to top Go down
toddwmac

PostSubject: Re: Slow to start after air-filter cleaning and oiling?   Slow to start after air-filter cleaning and oiling? EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 9:02 pm

Thanks...adding one to my list
Back to top Go down
toddwmac

PostSubject: Re: Slow to start after air-filter cleaning and oiling?   Slow to start after air-filter cleaning and oiling? EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 9:03 pm

YZEtc wrote:
I agree with Sarah - you put too much oil on the filter and it won't pass air.
I'd clean it and do it again.
May as well get the hang of this because, especially if you're riding off-road regularly, you should be able to do this with your eyes closed. ;)

The filter only needs to have a thin oil film covering the foam on the inside, outside, and through the foam material.
Basically, just enough to tint the color of the foam in the same color of the filter oil you are using (although if you are using the stock foam filter, it would be hard to notice this since the foam is a dark color).
It doesn't require that it have so much oil that pinching the foam will result in oil running out of it.

Myself, immediately after putting the foam filter oil on the filter (before the oil has a chance to become fully tacky), I'll wrap the filter inside and out with paper towels and squeeze out as much oil as I can.
I'll do this twice.
The results are a perfectly-oiled air filter.

Re-did mine today with your technique and all seems good....thanks!
Back to top Go down
Elm

PostSubject: No start after cleaning filter   Slow to start after air-filter cleaning and oiling? EmptyTue Aug 30, 2016 6:41 am

I had the same problem and believe the cleaning process was my problem rather than the oil.

I washed the filter in petrol but did not let it dry but just squeezed out all the petrol. I then soaked the filter in oil and squeezed out as much as I could. I remember reading "you cannot squeeze out too much oil" In other words squeeze out as much as possible.

I was unable to start the bike. Not a single pop or any indication it was trying to start.
Removed the filter and it attempted to start so replaced the filter. Tried again with WOT and it slowly came to life. Idled for a bit, shut it down and had the same no start problem.

I believe the problem was not drying the filter prior to adding the oil and ended up with a way too rich mixture from the fuel vapours.

After persevering it started OK & ran & restarted & now back to normal except so much more power after filter clean.

Moral of story. After cleaning. let filter dry completely.
Back to top Go down
bourdagespl

PostSubject: Re: Slow to start after air-filter cleaning and oiling?   Slow to start after air-filter cleaning and oiling? EmptyTue Aug 30, 2016 8:53 am

toddwmac wrote:
Oil charged filters are new to me.  Is it normal for bikes to struggle to start right after a filter service?

I Just cleaned and charged my air filter  (Sprecto SX oil) and the bike would not start.  I cracked open the filter box and  pulled the fillter and it turned right over.  (like always)

The filter is soaked but not dripping (per product instructions and manual)  I squeezed the filter again with some paper towels to take out some of the oil and it will now start but still struggling.  

The Spectro instructions had me spraying the filter for almost 2 minutes  (45 seconds internal and 60 exernal)  I've never used an oiled filter but I now know that was WAY too much.  

Should I clean it and strart again or will it improve as it breaths?  It seems to run ok.

Thanks

I just cleaned and re-oiled my NoToil filter with Spectro cleaner and Spectro SX oil this week-end. This process is new to me too.

I began with the cleaner. Sqeezed it. Rinse it with water until my sqeezes let only water out.
Let it dry for 2-3 hour. Even finished it with hair dryer. I wanted it completely dry.

For the oil, I've followed the instructions (45 seconds internal and 60 exernal).
It was way too much, the can was almost empty after I finished, but the filter was all blue.
I squeezed the filter to remove as mush as possible oil and finished it with towel.
I let it dry for 2 hours before reinstalling it.

Started the motor and it ran fine!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Slow to start after air-filter cleaning and oiling?   Slow to start after air-filter cleaning and oiling? Empty

Back to top Go down

Slow to start after air-filter cleaning and oiling?
Page 1 of 1