Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Airbox door removal?

Go down 
+6
chabon
mollycbr123
motokid
gatorfan
oldirt
boyce418
10 posters
AuthorMessage
boyce418

Charcoal Can Removal - Airbox door removal? Empty
PostSubject: Airbox door removal?   Charcoal Can Removal - Airbox door removal? EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 10:27 am

Is it safe to remove the door to the airbox? I was going to drill holes in the door, but taking it off would let a nice flow of air in....
Back to top Go down
oldirt

oldirt

PostSubject: Re: Airbox door removal?   Charcoal Can Removal - Airbox door removal? EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 5:16 pm

Are you on a R or X? Do you go offroading? You can remove the door, a lot have, but if you are offroading you will be cleaning that filter quite often.
Back to top Go down
boyce418

PostSubject: Re: Airbox door removal?   Charcoal Can Removal - Airbox door removal? EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 2:13 am

Thanks! I'm on an X (with knobbies), but I do a lot of off road. I don't mind cleaning my filter, but I was told the bike would run lean. Took it for a spin and it felt peppier, but also not that much.....not sure if it is worth it Peace YAM
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Airbox door removal?   Charcoal Can Removal - Airbox door removal? EmptyMon Jan 27, 2014 7:47 pm

I took a 4 hour ride yesterday. The whole time I'm thinking ... "man this bike has a lot of zip today, how did that happen?.

I forgot I took the airbox door off a couple of weeks ago.

IMO ... big difference.

(I have no other airbox mods)
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Airbox door removal?   Charcoal Can Removal - Airbox door removal? EmptyTue Jan 28, 2014 7:03 am

gatorfan wrote:
I took a 4 hour ride yesterday. The whole time I'm thinking ... "man this bike has a lot of zip today, how did that happen?.

I forgot I took the airbox door off a couple of weeks ago.

IMO ... big difference.

(I have no other airbox mods)

Charcoal Can Removal - Airbox door removal? Holy-thread-revival-batman

amazon 

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
mollycbr123

PostSubject: Re: Airbox door removal?   Charcoal Can Removal - Airbox door removal? EmptyTue Jan 28, 2014 8:28 am

I stuck the flapper down with double sided servo tape. I use the tape on my r/c motorcycles. It holds great, and can be removed if I ever want to take the bike back to stock.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Airbox door removal?   Charcoal Can Removal - Airbox door removal? EmptyTue Jan 28, 2014 10:08 am

mollycbr123 wrote:
I stuck the flapper down with double sided servo tape.  I use the tape on my r/c motorcycles.  It holds great, and can be removed if I ever want to take the bike back to stock.

The flapper isn't the airbox door.  hide 

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
mollycbr123

PostSubject: Re: Airbox door removal?   Charcoal Can Removal - Airbox door removal? EmptyTue Jan 28, 2014 10:19 pm

motokid wrote:
mollycbr123 wrote:
I stuck the flapper down with double sided servo tape.  I use the tape on my r/c motorcycles.  It holds great, and can be removed if I ever want to take the bike back to stock.

Yep, you are right. Don't think I'd take the door off... First big puddle could be trouble..?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Airbox door removal?   Charcoal Can Removal - Airbox door removal? EmptyWed Jan 29, 2014 6:53 am

mollycbr123 wrote:
motokid wrote:
mollycbr123 wrote:

Yep, you are right.  Don't think I'd take the door off...  First big puddle could be trouble..?

Only in trouble if puddle is deep enough to cover your axles and get your battery wet......but generally speaking, if you're doing off-road stuff it's best to keep door on.

For asphalt assault - take that damn door off (assuming you have an efi programmer) and discover what you're missing.  wink 

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Airbox door removal?   Charcoal Can Removal - Airbox door removal? EmptyWed Jan 29, 2014 3:33 pm

motokid wrote:

Only in trouble if puddle is deep enough to cover your axles and get your battery wet......but generally speaking, if you're doing off-road stuff it's best to keep door on.

For asphalt assault - take that damn door off (assuming you have an efi programmer) and discover what you're missing.  wink 

Couldn't agree more, as my "blind butt dyno"  eeek revealed.

I'd add, it takes 2 minutes to take the air box door on/off. Blue sky, slab day ... yank that sumbitch off.  woohoo  woohoo
Back to top Go down
chabon

chabon

PostSubject: Re: Airbox door removal?   Charcoal Can Removal - Airbox door removal? EmptyWed Jan 29, 2014 8:19 pm

LOUD
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Airbox door removal?   Charcoal Can Removal - Airbox door removal? EmptyFri Jan 31, 2014 8:17 am

chabon wrote:
LOUD

Meh....a little....at idle.....but certainly not horrific... and I'm truly against loud just for the sake of loud.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
airfruit

PostSubject: Re: Airbox door removal?   Charcoal Can Removal - Airbox door removal? EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 11:56 pm

You can always just remove the top of your airbox ;) This way it's like any offroad bike, airbox open on top. You get the power gain without worrying about water getting in from the side.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Airbox door removal?   Charcoal Can Removal - Airbox door removal? EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 12:37 am

airfruit wrote:
You can always just remove the top of your airbox

But you can't put it back on in 2 minutes.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Airbox door removal?   Charcoal Can Removal - Airbox door removal? EmptyMon Jun 15, 2015 12:54 pm

I went to clean the foam air filter yesterday for the first time and the air box door was missing. PO must have chucked it.

So I can't compare on vs. off.
Back to top Go down
michiko

PostSubject: top of the air box   Charcoal Can Removal - Airbox door removal? EmptyTue Jun 16, 2015 12:22 am

yeah i took the top of the air box off, by removing the rivets, big gain in power and noise. wow. this baby needs a lot more air. i am quite sure this is how yamaha first made the bike before making sure it complied to emission regulations.
then logically i thought then remove the door for more power, but actually the power output decreased. (i must add i have no tuner as yet but i do have a short and open exhaust at the other end)

two negatives about removing the top are
in heavy rain water does get in the air box but this can be resolved
and the noise.

Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Airbox door removal?   Charcoal Can Removal - Airbox door removal? EmptyTue Jun 16, 2015 4:04 pm

michiko wrote:
yeah i took the top of the air box off, by removing the rivets, big gain in power and noise. wow. this baby needs a lot more air. i am quite sure this is how yamaha first made the bike before making sure it complied to emission regulations.
then logically i thought then remove the door for more power, but actually the power output decreased. (i must add i have no tuner as yet but i do have a short and open exhaust at the other end)

and the noise.

When you get a chance take a close look at the airbox and how the air is being pulled into the motor.

If I remember correctly the intake is quite high in the air box and goes up hill for a good bit. Little bit of rain or water coming through the top of the box should not be an issue.

Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Airbox door removal?   Charcoal Can Removal - Airbox door removal? EmptyWed Jun 17, 2015 5:54 pm

michiko wrote:

and the noise.

While you have the top piece of the airbox with the flapper in it off the bike take the bottom 1/2 of it off so the opening in it is bigger than stock and flapperless and put it back on. You need the sides of that piece on the airbox, water can splash into the airbox very easily with it removed.

I have that piece setup like that with some pieces of black foam jammed and zip tied around the back edges of it to keep water out even better than stock, I then cut a 2 x 2 hole right above the airfilter, this location never gets water splashed onto it. My setup flows as much air as removing the airbox door and is more water proof than stock thumb

I have a fmf programmer and a Q4 pipe to go along with the airbox mods.

As you found out you cant add too much extra air without a programmer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Airbox door removal?   Charcoal Can Removal - Airbox door removal? Empty

Back to top Go down

Airbox door removal?
Page 1 of 1