Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Hypothetical - Hindsight - Second Chance

Go down 
+20
skierd
Rule292
oic0
WRXR
TBird1
Jäger
josh
YZEtc
00PowderSpecial
Fishinado
rydnseek
combo
deerHater
dtx
SheWolf
Arkmage
Akasy
mucker
trav72
motokid
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
oic0

oic0

Hypothetical - Hindsight - Second Chance - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hypothetical - Hindsight - Second Chance   Hypothetical - Hindsight - Second Chance - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 10:34 am

I wanted a cheap commuter with great mileage that still made the morning trip a little more fun but doesn't require me to work on it to keep it going. Needs to just crank up and go day after day for years straight. Sofar I don't know of any other bike that would do that as well as the WR. Sure a part of me would rather have a KTM690 or Duke, but the mileage would suffer, it would require more maintenance, and it costs twice as much. I justified this bike with the fact that its payment is made up for by my quartered gasoline bill.
Back to top Go down
rydnseek

rydnseek

PostSubject: Re: Hypothetical - Hindsight - Second Chance   Hypothetical - Hindsight - Second Chance - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 10:38 am

motokid wrote:
rydnseek wrote:
I So for now, i'm sticking with the WR.

If your WR250x was stolen - would you replace it with another WR250x?

..might not be an X. I just got the X because it was a good deal on a barely used bike.. only 220 miles on it from an individual in Flagstaff.. not a big market to find bikes in. Sedona is worse. But i would be looking for a wr.. either an x or r, which ever came up & was a decent buy.

There's a new ktm 350 that looks pretty sweet.. 227#, great suspension & all the usual ktm upgrades. But i don't know if it would be happy if i rode it 500 miles on the highway at 70mph.

Multiple bikes is probably a better solution for different riding situations. I'd like the ktm for off road day rides, or trucking to off road destinations. ..maybe a wee strom for longer adventure rides that have more pavement. ..and the wr for mixes of all the rides. But then, i don't really want to have 3 bikes to mod & maintain. It is much easier to have one do-it-all bike, & hop on it & ride anywhere. If i only rode pavement, i'd probably be pretty happy with a wee strom.

I don't think my criteria for a bike have changed. And the wr is the bike that fits my riding needs the best. Things can change, & new bikes appear.. we are always scouring the horizon for newer, high tech rides. But for now, i like the 250 platform, & the wr is the best all around in that category.
Back to top Go down
Rule292

Rule292

PostSubject: Re: Hypothetical - Hindsight - Second Chance   Hypothetical - Hindsight - Second Chance - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 7:50 pm

motokid wrote:

...Knowing what you know now....perfect 20/20 hindsight.

What would you do? Suppose your X or R was stolen and by some fluke of luck the insurance company gave you enough money to
buy a brand new 2011 model along with all the farkles and goodies you'd added to your stolen bike. You could do a complete replacement
of the stolen bike but with a brand new one at no extra cost to you.

Would you spend that $7000-$8000 (or more) on a new wr250r/x?

Or would you buy something else? What would you buy?

And why?

Always looking at classifieds or bike reviews. It's my nature. Very happy

Anyhoo, I guess I'm the odd man out. I don't mind the WRR's lack of top end power tho with the 48 rear cog it's screaming (happily) at anything over 50.

What bothers me most is that it won't walk along at a crawl like the orange bikes do. I watch folks on rides with their KTM's slowing down to a worm's pace to get through technical parts of the trail.

I'm sure it's mostly me, but regardless of that I need and want a bike that can go slow so that I can do the fun tuff stuff and come home in one piece. So I'd have to do some seat time on a KTM and Husky or maybe even a Beemer GX450. Or maybe a Christini for fun!

http://www.christini.com/christiniawd300.php

But then again, the WRR's "Ride it and forget it" maintenance and reliability have me really suckered. THAT might be a tipping point in the decision to buy another WRR.
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Hypothetical - Hindsight - Second Chance   Hypothetical - Hindsight - Second Chance - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 11:21 pm

When it happened.to me in jan 2010 it was a no brainer, I had my new wr250r within a month.

If it happened again, id probably get a more comfortable and faster street bike. I like the wr250x a lot, but im just ready for something new after 3 years and nearly 50,000 miles between the two. And maybe a woods bike too lol.
Back to top Go down
Shoootr

Shoootr

PostSubject: yeah I would   Hypothetical - Hindsight - Second Chance - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 12:56 am

I want a faster more comfortable street bike also, but it would not replace the WRR.
It has the build quality, reliability, and low maintenance in a bike that can do serious single track then cruise the freeway home if need be. Large dealer network, good aftermarket support, and reasonable parts and repairs compared to EuroBikes. Very good mileage and looks cool too.
If I still raced I just might have an orange bike or Husky, but I don't. For me this bike and something like a Wee Strom covers everything. But if I could only have one bike it would have to be the WRR.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Hypothetical - Hindsight - Second Chance   Hypothetical - Hindsight - Second Chance - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 10:22 pm

Not sure what I'm gonna do now... Hypothetical - Hindsight - Second Chance - Page 2 640571
Hypothetical - Hindsight - Second Chance - Page 2 5a34abc1

motokid

PostSubject: Re: Hypothetical - Hindsight - Second Chance   Hypothetical - Hindsight - Second Chance - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 7:04 am

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ................... GAHHHH

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Hypothetical - Hindsight - Second Chance   Hypothetical - Hindsight - Second Chance - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 9:50 am

Hypothetical - Hindsight - Second Chance - Page 2 93746 That thing is the most fun I've had on 3 wheels. It's like driving a high performance go-kart. My face is still hurting from the smiles. Hypothetical - Hindsight - Second Chance - Page 2 810411

PostSubject: Re: Hypothetical - Hindsight - Second Chance   Hypothetical - Hindsight - Second Chance - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 10:17 am

Glad you enjoy it but I don't understand the appeal of those things... Now get it muddy and all will be well.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Hypothetical - Hindsight - Second Chance   Hypothetical - Hindsight - Second Chance - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 10:31 am

Well, for me it was like OMG, a sled crossed with a bike! I love sledding, so this thing is like sitting on a sled; big comfy seat, big power, and you lean on it like a sled. The bike, responsiveness with the throttle and clutching. Yet it has the suspension of a car. It doesn't lean, you do. But wow can that thing corner! Hypothetical - Hindsight - Second Chance - Page 2 640571

PostSubject: Re: Hypothetical - Hindsight - Second Chance   Hypothetical - Hindsight - Second Chance - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 10:38 am

but how well does it wheelie?
Back to top Go down
Elessar

Elessar

PostSubject: Re: Hypothetical - Hindsight - Second Chance   Hypothetical - Hindsight - Second Chance - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 1:11 pm

This is one of the most informative threads that I've ever read, as a prospective buyer. Thanx
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

PostSubject: Re: Hypothetical - Hindsight - Second Chance   Hypothetical - Hindsight - Second Chance - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 2:16 pm

No regrets here. That said, If I wasn't in the fortunate position of owning multiple bikes, the WR wouldn't be the one that I'd keep. If I could only keep one, it would be the KLR.
Back to top Go down
MotoDad

MotoDad

PostSubject: Re: Hypothetical - Hindsight - Second Chance   Hypothetical - Hindsight - Second Chance - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 2:55 pm

If mine were stolen and all add-ons (1 ea. tailight assy. and a few dots of black paint here and there) were replaced. I'd get my X right back! It's light-weight (like me), has some torq. (like me), handles like a dream (like me), is good looking (like me), almost no maintenance (like me), and has stamina like you wouldn't belive (like me 30yrs ago)!

Yup i'd get the same bike... I bought it for the gas savings and got more than I bargained for, what else could ya want?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hypothetical - Hindsight - Second Chance   Hypothetical - Hindsight - Second Chance - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Hypothetical - Hindsight - Second Chance
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum :: General :: WRR/X General Discussion-
Jump to: