Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Bogs down when cold?

Go down 
+4
smitty!!!
motokid
Goosed
WRXR
8 posters
AuthorMessage
WRXR

WRXR

Bogs down when cold? Empty
PostSubject: Bogs down when cold?   Bogs down when cold? EmptySat Sep 03, 2011 1:36 pm

When I start my bike from cold it will bog down a bit during the first 5-10 minutes, until it's hot I guess. Is that normal or is it just my bike?

It kinda sucks when you don't think about it, you are doing a tight turn and it bogs down so you have to put your foot out and look like a bloddy beginner.
Back to top Go down
Goosed

PostSubject: Re: Bogs down when cold?   Bogs down when cold? EmptySun Sep 04, 2011 2:41 am

Yeah that's a normal thing. It's the same with all engines they will run better at operating temp than when first started, it also is a good idea to fire the bike up when you first start it in the morning as your putting on your gloves to let it worm up before ridding it. I've been told depending on atmospheric temps you should worm up your engine for 1-3 minuites depending on how cold it is. But I'm the guy that is always late so I just fire as I'm putting on my gloves, so about 30 seconds but it's only about 60 deg. in the morning, mine still bogs a little at first. Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Bogs down when cold?   Bogs down when cold? EmptySun Sep 04, 2011 8:16 am

WRXR wrote:
When I start my bike from cold it will bog down a bit during the first 5-10 minutes, until it's hot I guess. Is that normal or is it just my bike?

It kinda sucks when you don't think about it, you are doing a tight turn and it bogs down so you have to put your foot out and look like a bloddy beginner.

I would say this is NOT normal. 5-10 minutes??? Not during this time of year.

What mods do you have? Do you have a fuel programmer? What setting you running if you have one?

I start my bike and the warm up sequence goes like this:
Start bike. Put on helmet. Adjust goggles. Put on gloves. Climb on bike. Ride away.

If leaving my house I putt through neighborhood for less than half a mile before I jump onto a 50mph road that often times requires
some very heavy throttle to avoid being run over.

If leaving work I putt through parking lot for about a 1/4 of a mile then gas it like I stole it so I can get as much distance between work and me as possible.

Regardless of time of year and temperature I've never felt what you've described.

Either I'm lucky - or your not experiencing something "normal".

I used to know that feeling well with my old 1990 FZR400. I'd have to manipulate the choke-lever position quite actively for a good 5 minutes until the bike became
stable and reliable enough to ride without stumbles or bogs.

The fuel injection system on the wr250 should regulate all that for us.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
smitty!!!

PostSubject: Re: Bogs down when cold?   Bogs down when cold? EmptySun Sep 04, 2011 3:55 pm

I have similar cold start symptoms.
Start bike, put on gear, blip throttle as I'm backing down drive, sit in road for 1 min., drive off with it being a little hesitant. I get about a quarter mile down the road and it clears up.

My thoughts where maybe I just need to let it warm up more and get the juices flowing or give more gas to low RPM's on my FMF programmer.

-smitty
Back to top Go down
WRXR

WRXR

PostSubject: Re: Bogs down when cold?   Bogs down when cold? EmptySun Sep 04, 2011 10:01 pm

I have no mods to the engine, all stock even the exhaust, no programmer. I live a t high altitude, could that be a reason?
Air filter is clean.

Also, as long as it's cold there is a ticking noise, it goes away though when the bike has warmed up.
Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

PostSubject: Re: Bogs down when cold?   Bogs down when cold? EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 10:26 am

Does anyone think an adjustment to the CO setting might help?

When you say bog, do you mean that it stumbles at low RPM when you try to crack it open? Mine does this as well, more so when cold. A CO setting adjustment seemed to help a little.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Bogs down when cold?   Bogs down when cold? EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 10:47 am

WRXR wrote:
I have no mods to the engine, all stock even the exhaust, no programmer. I live a t high altitude, could that be a reason?
Air filter is clean.

Also, as long as it's cold there is a ticking noise, it goes away though when the bike has warmed up.
I live slightly higher than you, same latitude. Totally stock bike engine/exhaust-wise.

The bike warms up for about 30 - 60 seconds while I put on my gloves and helmet. It then runs at about 30 mph for about two minutes through the residential area until on the highway, pretty much all at low RPMs. Then up through the gears to the speed limit and off I go.

No bogging. But I'm not really cranking on the throttle for the first few minutes either.

5 - 10 minutes of the engine stumbling doesn't sound right to me.
Back to top Go down
foofighter

foofighter

PostSubject: Re: Bogs down when cold?   Bogs down when cold? EmptySat Oct 22, 2011 3:00 pm

Wow I have the exact same thing on my bike! I actually just stated my own thread about it before I found this one.

https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t5787-bike-sputters-during-warmup

Mine does this even on a +20c morning... However it does last longer on colder days. This winter when I park my bike for winter modding I am going to put on a new header/exhaust/programmer and remove the AIS, Servo, Flapper. Once all dialed in I hope that this will get rid of this problem forever. I'm going to guess that it must be something wrong with the factory settings on the ECU?

Also the Op said he lives at a high altitude... Just wondering how high? I live at 1,500ft.
Back to top Go down
cug

PostSubject: Re: Bogs down when cold?   Bogs down when cold? EmptySat Oct 22, 2011 6:06 pm

Some might think this is a stupid question, but: what oil are you using? I have experienced really bad starting with my GS with 20W50 in temperatures around freezing. No trouble at all with 10W40 though.

If it gets cold during the night and the bike is really cold when you try to start, you might have to use a lower viscosity rating. Like 10W40 or so. I pretty much prefer the 10W40 for most of my "not extreme heat" riding. Which is during the whole year if I'm not going too much South / East.
Back to top Go down
foofighter

foofighter

PostSubject: Re: Bogs down when cold?   Bogs down when cold? EmptySat Oct 22, 2011 8:11 pm

10W40 for me...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bogs down when cold?   Bogs down when cold? Empty

Back to top Go down

Bogs down when cold?
Page 1 of 1