Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Clunky gearbox

Go down 
+5
SheWolf
mr-cave
thumpjump
YZEtc
mash100
9 posters
AuthorMessage
mash100

mash100

Clunky gearbox Empty
PostSubject: Clunky gearbox   Clunky gearbox EmptyMon Sep 05, 2011 5:14 am

My x has done almost 14000 miles. Had a full dealer service at 12k, & all seemed ok. I had new chain & sprockets installed around 1200 miles ago - didn't make a difference to gear changing, but bike seems to run faster (less friction???). However, over the last 1000 or so miles, my gearbox has become decidedly clunky. Clutch seems fine, changing up is ok if I'm super smooth, but down changes are really clunky. I don't thrash her too bad, but do ride quite hard. Oil is Castrol semi-synth. Any thoughts??? scratch
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

Clunky gearbox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clunky gearbox   Clunky gearbox EmptyMon Sep 05, 2011 7:53 am

Try changing the oil.
Back to top Go down
thumpjump

Clunky gearbox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clunky gearbox   Clunky gearbox EmptyMon Sep 05, 2011 7:59 am

Check chain tension, it does impact the "clunkiness" on my R. I also agree to try changing oil.
Back to top Go down
mr-cave

mr-cave

Clunky gearbox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clunky gearbox   Clunky gearbox EmptyMon Sep 05, 2011 9:17 am

+1 on the oil

Just for your information I will never again put Castrol oil in any of my bikes...... deal

My Yamaha dealer nearby uses or used Shell oil at services.

Put it into my first yamaha R6. clutch started to slip and gearbox felt clunky.... Changed to recomended Shell oil, no problems.

Had a yamaha RD 250 for a while and mounted a new clutch. Bought Castol because it was easy to get at that time..... clutch started slipping.... baldy
Took the oil out and cleaned the disks and everything and then put in new shell oil or if it was some other brand Spectre Golden or something. No problem with clutch after that.

In my Yamaha XT660X i just used shell oil and didnt feel any problems with clutch/ gearbox. Rode the bike for about 6000 Km.

Just bad luck or?
Back to top Go down
mash100

mash100

Clunky gearbox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clunky gearbox   Clunky gearbox EmptyMon Sep 05, 2011 10:06 am

YZEtc wrote:
Try changing the oil.
After only 2000 miles since service/oil + filter??? That seems waaaay too soon.... Could it really be the Castrol??
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Clunky gearbox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clunky gearbox   Clunky gearbox EmptyMon Sep 05, 2011 10:36 am

Yes. I won't use Castrol anymore either. I ran it in my quad and it slipped bad, not to mention heavy shifting. I wouldn't dare put it in my bike. I use Rotella. Clunky gearbox 61865

YZEtc

Clunky gearbox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clunky gearbox   Clunky gearbox EmptyMon Sep 05, 2011 4:52 pm

Personally, I don't think 2,000 miles is waaaaayy to soon.
Change it and see if it's better, or forever wonder about it. ;)
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

Clunky gearbox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clunky gearbox   Clunky gearbox EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 10:17 am

Mines been clunky on down shifts, especially going from 3 -> 2, and 2 -> 1, since it rolled off the dealer floor. Are you sure you aren't just paying more attention to it now?
Back to top Go down
mash100

mash100

Clunky gearbox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clunky gearbox   Clunky gearbox EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 11:38 am

oic0 wrote:
Mines been clunky on down shifts, especially going from 3 -> 2, and 2 -> 1, since it rolled off the dealer floor. Are you sure you aren't just paying more attention to it now?
I think that may be some of the problem - perhaps its not THAT bad, but I'm sure it has been better in the past. I guess I'm worried that I might be damaging something dunno
I really don't want to hurt her, but I heard these motors were bullet proof.... It would REALLY surprise me if: 1) Oil is cooked after 1000 or even 3000 miles - I don't do track days, & I don't thrash her to death. 2) Castrol is really THAT bad - after all, they've been around for years & are a 'known' brand. Its also weird that the clutch feels fine (no slipping/weird noises), & up-shifts are basically OK.
Anyway, if I change the oil, which this time I'll do myself deal , can somebody tell me the correct size crush washer I need for the drain plug - presumably a standard copper thing??? Shog
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

Clunky gearbox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clunky gearbox   Clunky gearbox EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 1:04 pm

12mm diameter washer.
Back to top Go down
mash100

mash100

Clunky gearbox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clunky gearbox   Clunky gearbox EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 4:42 pm

YZEtc wrote:
12mm diameter washer.
Presumably inside diameter = 12mm & material = copper??? Sorry to sound a bit dumb!! Shog
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

Clunky gearbox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clunky gearbox   Clunky gearbox EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 5:32 pm

It's sized to fit an M12 thread, so it will probably be closer to 12.5-13mm. Copper or aluminum. The one on mine is currently aluminum. I don't replace them unless I lose it in the oil bucket...
Back to top Go down
mash100

mash100

Clunky gearbox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clunky gearbox   Clunky gearbox EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 3:59 am

Arkmage wrote:
It's sized to fit an M12 thread, so it will probably be closer to 12.5-13mm. Copper or aluminum. The one on mine is currently aluminum. I don't replace them unless I lose it in the oil bucket...
thumb Thanks to one & all - amazing how quickly you get information around here!!! bow
Just (another) question though: how many oil changes is a crush washer likely to survive? Is 20 Nm torque suitable for both copper & alu washers? After a few oil changes, won't the washer become compressed & therefore require more torque to seal it?? scratch
Ooops - that was actually 3 questions..... Shog
Back to top Go down
blueridge72

Clunky gearbox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clunky gearbox   Clunky gearbox EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 5:00 am

You'll find that alot of people never change out the washer. The other folks change it out every time. Go figure... dunno I change mine about every other time. Just find them somewhere cheap and buy 10 or so.

Slightly off topic,... When I bought my used WRX the oil had been changed once by a dealer. I couldn't get the oil drain bolt off with my longest rachet. Had to use a breaker bar and push it with my foot. Kind of pissed me off... dddog Knuckleheads.
Back to top Go down
greer

Clunky gearbox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clunky gearbox   Clunky gearbox EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 5:44 am

mash,

Go a bit easy when you tighten the bolt and afterward make sure it and the area around it is clean and dry. Keep an eye on it for a couple of days to check for leaks, you can always tighten it a little more if you need to. You'll soon get a feel for these things. Post back and let us know how this goes.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
mash100

mash100

Clunky gearbox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clunky gearbox   Clunky gearbox EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 6:23 am

Cool. I found some copper washers in our workshop suitable for M12 bolt: I/D = 12.5 mm, O/D = 18 mm, thickness = 1.5mm. I think they are for tractors/hydraulic plant. There are hundreds of them in a box, so thought I would save a few pennies wink
I'm assuming these would be OK, or should I get motorcycle specific?? dunno
PS: sorry for all the dumb-sounding questions!
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

Clunky gearbox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clunky gearbox   Clunky gearbox EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 9:36 am

Those will work.
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

Clunky gearbox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clunky gearbox   Clunky gearbox EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 10:23 am

If you're worried about the washer you could anneal it. On my RD350, It had copper ring head gaskets, I used to just throw em on the grill for a bit and reuse em over and over and over.

At what point are you shifting down to first? I down shift a few times while rolling, but the only way to avoid a clunk going in to first is to wait until I am about to stop before hitting that last downshift.
Back to top Go down
mash100

mash100

Clunky gearbox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clunky gearbox   Clunky gearbox EmptyThu Sep 08, 2011 3:06 am

oic0 wrote:
If you're worried about the washer you could anneal it. On my RD350, It had copper ring head gaskets, I used to just throw em on the grill for a bit and reuse em over and over and over.

At what point are you shifting down to first? I down shift a few times while rolling, but the only way to avoid a clunk going in to first is to wait until I am about to stop before hitting that last downshift.
thumb yeah, I've always had the problem of clunky downshift to 1st & get down to walking speed/stop before hitting the shifter to get over this. The problem now is also downshifting from higher gears: I have a really nice corner locally where I shift from 6th doing around 80mph to 3rd or 4th with super late braking - I feel like the gearbox is getting hammered right now.....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Clunky gearbox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clunky gearbox   Clunky gearbox Empty

Back to top Go down

Clunky gearbox
Page 1 of 1