Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage

Go down 
+69
Crooked Creek
pfy50
conflict0102
b.ringrose
scott_pdx
bsheet2
johnnyadventurepants
aaronhall555
deerHater
e010584
Muddyrabbit
treybrad
trav72
mordicai
bDry
SoupSandwich
twday
Dancamp
cryptomundo
DougZ
Greenbean
oh2RideMore
mfrankpdx
Pancho
Bgunn
hughtwg
greer
GsVs
Crawdaddy
calico jack
bash3r
levity
antipode
asheville thumper
edteamslr
Jäger
Navajib
2Wheelz
smolvar
derm75
skierd
longtallsally
tjohnson
MeefZah
wahilde
0007onWR
shredak
BPG
1moreroad
Longview
jpkrass
lotsofwheels
Addicted
Don T
CopaMundial
badmotoscooter
Goggles Pisano
malibu_dan
spikehead
YamWOW!
Fargo_Wolf
Akoffroader
mwakey
f3joel
Louisbiker
SpiritWolf15
Krabill
SheWolf
Chadx
73 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Chadx

Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage Empty
PostSubject: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage EmptyThu Feb 05, 2009 6:53 pm

Let's hear what everyone has added for racks and/or bag setups.

Last edited by Chadx on Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Chadx

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage EmptyThu Feb 05, 2009 8:33 pm

I like the compact rear racks and the soft panniers, like wolfmans or dirtbagz (with support brackets) some are using. Also like the little enduro panniers wolfman has come out with. But I also dig the big rear rack cycleracks has. It's a bit bulkier and does weigh around 10 pounds they say. They said it will carry a LOT of weight, too, though the weight would sit high rather than down low like side panniers.

Small Wolfman enduro panniers:
Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage EnduroSaddle

dirtbagz saddlebags and brackets:
Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage Wr250R_lg

Yamaha factory rack:
Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage Stu-wr250-x7-ou-500

Cycleracks rear rack:

Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage WR250RXjpg
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage EmptyFri Feb 06, 2009 10:55 am

I was talking with the Yammi rep and he said that these racks from the XT WILL fit the WR as well.

Sport Rack
Rugged Rack

I'm contemplating this one.

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage EmptyFri Feb 06, 2009 11:25 am

SheWolf wrote:
I was talking with the Yammi rep and he said that these racks from the XT WILL fit the WR as well.

Sport Rack
Rugged Rack

Hmmm . . . that sport rack is kinda cool. I think I'd like some more verification that it actually fits, though. Buy one and let us know how it goes Very happy
Back to top Go down
SpiritWolf15

SpiritWolf15

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage EmptySat Feb 07, 2009 2:18 pm

SheWolf wrote:

Sport Rack
Rugged Rack

The racks off the XT fit more with the WR's kick ass design, looks more sturdy too, I know I'm gonna be getting one when I finally buy my WR =3
Back to top Go down
Louisbiker

Louisbiker

PostSubject: Wolfman!   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage EmptyFri Feb 13, 2009 7:28 am

Today i got the Wolfman Enduro Tank Bag and Peak Tail Bag.

Tank bag fits really nicely. pretty small, but there not much room there..
May get a bigger bag once the big tank comes...

Tail bag is a good size. perfect for the bike. proabaly needs a rack like the GYTR one. but still nice.
Some pics:

(sorry about the reflective stuff from the flash!)

Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage 3275607903_1f2bb9bcec_b

Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage 3275608813_b0a4537e35_b

Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage 3276431354_94905dd440_b

Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage 3276432676_b9d0c2d360_b
Back to top Go down
Chadx

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage EmptyFri Feb 13, 2009 9:20 am

Speaking of tank bags, anyone that is using the wolfman bags on long trips (bigdog?) have anything to report on how it worked? Easy to move for fuel fill ups (or even necessary to move)? How about scratches or wear marks on the tank afterwards? I know tank bags themselves don't wear your tank much, but on long dusty, dirty trips with grit working its way in between? How 'bout it?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage EmptySat Feb 14, 2009 6:36 pm

Chadx wrote:
Speaking of tank bags, anyone that is using the wolfman bags on long trips (bigdog?) have anything to report on how it worked? Easy to move for fuel fill ups (or even necessary to move)? How about scratches or wear marks on the tank afterwards? I know tank bags themselves don't wear your tank much, but on long dusty, dirty trips with grit working its way in between? How 'bout it?

I've use Wolfman tank bags on many bikes through all kinds of conditions, and never had a problem with them of any kind. As for our bike, you do need to unclip the front to fill up, but its no big deal. No wear at all in the tank or shroud so far, but that dosent bother me much anyway. A dirt bike should look like a dirt bike, not a tarted up chromed out harley. Just my opinion. Very happy
Back to top Go down
Chadx

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage EmptyTue Feb 17, 2009 9:30 am

scrcmedic wrote:
No wear at all in the tank or shroud so far, but that dosent bother me much anyway. A dirt bike should look like a dirt bike, not a tarted up chromed out harley. Just my opinion. Very happy

I've no worries on marking up a dirtbike from riding/dumping it, but no reason to rub wear marks into it that I'll have to look at when the bags are off of it. Also, since the tank is metal, I want to avoid wearing of the paint long term (read: corrosion protection). Sounds like it's not an issue though, so no problem to solve. Wolfman it will likely be.
Back to top Go down
f3joel

f3joel

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage EmptyTue Feb 17, 2009 9:57 am

I just bought the regular ballistic tail bag from here.

I'll post pics and my opinion when I get it.

http://www.dirt-bike-gear.com/rear_fender_bags.html
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage EmptyTue Feb 17, 2009 2:40 pm

Made my own from 1/2" PVC.
Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage Post111

Teep
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage EmptyTue Feb 17, 2009 9:26 pm

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329337&page=95&highlight=Teep

Check out this link, it shows how it is mounted to the bike frame. I have not had much attached but a small backpack with tools and rain gear attached. I don't think any rack attached behind the seat of this bike should carry much weight as it is mounted quite far behind the main triangle. That said, the rack feels very solid and I think the bike frame is the weak link.

Farther along in the AdvRider forum you can also find a layout of the rack with dimensions if you want to build one. If I had the tools to work metal I would have made it from a sheet of aluminum though.

Teep
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage EmptyWed Feb 18, 2009 11:21 pm

I am still up in the air on any rack for the rear. The Yamaha rack is the only one I have seen that looks halfway decent, but I am not paying their price, even with my employee discount it's not worth it. I just strap my bag to the rear with velcro and ride. No problems with crazy mounts and ugly racks. I don't carry a lot of crap on my rides anyhow. And if I do need extra room I strap on the old backpack. But it's always nice to remove the bag and have that nice clean tail showing when I just want to go flog the asphalt for a while.
Back to top Go down
Akoffroader

PostSubject: Rack   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage EmptyWed Feb 18, 2009 11:28 pm

I like the looks of the Pro Moto Billet rack. I just put one on my '06 XRL650L. Great fit and finish, looks like a factory part.

http://www.promotobillet.com/catalog/images/WR250RXRack3.jpg

AK Greg
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 9:29 am

See, those racks are definitely more streamlined compared to those Cycleracks stunt guards. It still utilizes the subframe mind you, but I guess if you're not going to pack a lot of weight it won't matter.

f3joel

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 4:47 pm

Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage Wr250x10
Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage Wr250x11
Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage Wr250x12
Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage Wr250x13

Pics after the install of the tail bag.
Back to top Go down
f3joel

f3joel

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 4:54 pm

and the rest of the pics...
Got the regular ballistic bag from dirt-bike-gear dot com

I will probably take the stitching out of their label to make the bag all black.
Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage Wr250x16
Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage Wr250x17
Back to top Go down
Fargo_Wolf

Fargo_Wolf

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 9:31 pm

Is that like a little tool bag? scratch How does it attach to the bike?
Back to top Go down
f3joel

f3joel

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 10:33 pm

Fargo_Wolf wrote:
Is that like a little tool bag? scratch How does it attach to the bike?
Tools or whatever else you can fit. It's 8 inch x 5 inch and 2 inches tall.
It mounts via 4 holes you have to drill in the rear fender ( removal of rear fender required ).
Comes with chicago screw style connectors with washers and they recommend using blue loctite ( loctite not included ).

Hardware mounting order: female connector - washer- fender - bag- washer- male connector. ( loctite on threads when putting together )
The female connector pushes through the bottom of the fender and up through the bag.

Easy to mount, feels very secure. I think the hardware would pull through the plastic before this material would rip.

I'm hoping this will make me need a backpack less often.
I may get the number plate bag also.

http://www.dirt-bike-gear.com/rear_fender_bags.html
Back to top Go down
Louisbiker

Louisbiker

PostSubject: Made a rack as well...   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage EmptySun Feb 22, 2009 5:46 am

I used Teep's idea (and template) made out of LDEP plastic...

$18 chopping board. White. I'd rather have black, but I've never seen a black chopping board.

Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage 3298890289_7b52179b57_b

With the Wolfman Peak tailbag.

Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage 3299726290_b6144d381f_b
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage EmptySun Feb 22, 2009 9:21 am

Louisbiker,

Nice job, it's nice to share ideas half way around the world. I started out looking for a cutting board but had no luck, hence the black PVC I used. I see you used a different mounting system then I did. Is there a difference between US and Aussie bikes?

Teep
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage EmptySun Feb 22, 2009 10:59 am

Teep wrote:
Louisbiker,

Nice job, it's nice to share ideas half way around the world. I started out looking for a cutting board but had no luck, hence the black PVC I used. I see you used a different mounting system then I did. Is there a difference between US and Aussie bikes?

Teep

Aussie bikes and Euro bikes have a different mounting system because the stock taillight and plate hanger are different on their bikes.
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage EmptySun Feb 22, 2009 11:07 am

SheWolf wrote:
See, those racks are definitely more streamlined compared to those Cycleracks stunt guards. It still utilizes the subframe mind you, but I guess if you're not going to pack a lot of weight it won't matter.

I don't see why everyone is so worried about adding weight to the subframe with a small tailbag/rack setup. Has not anyone noticed that when you put your ass on the seat that all your weight is on the same subframe? And think about this too.... You have rear pegs so Yamaha must have made the subframe strong enough for two up riding. What difference does it make it you are riding solo with a tailbag full of crap? Seems like the subframe is plenty strong enough.
Back to top Go down
YamWOW!
Admin
YamWOW!

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage EmptySun Feb 22, 2009 2:52 pm

Louisbiker wrote:
I used Teep's idea (and template) made out of LDEP plastic...

$18 chopping board. White. I'd rather have black, but I've never seen a black chopping board.

Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage 3298890289_7b52179b57_b

With the Wolfman Peak tailbag.

Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage 3299726290_b6144d381f_b
Good job! cheers I like homegrown ideas!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage EmptySun Feb 22, 2009 3:44 pm

mwakey wrote:
SheWolf wrote:

I don't see why everyone is so worried about adding weight to the subframe with a small tailbag/rack setup. Has not anyone noticed that when you put your ass on the seat that all your weight is on the same subframe? And think about this too.... You have rear pegs so Yamaha must have made the subframe strong enough for two up riding. What difference does it make it you are riding solo with a tailbag full of crap? Seems like the subframe is plenty strong enough.

The riders weight is carried on the main triangle of the frame whereas the rack sits on an extension of the main triangle. The main triangle design will handle passenger weight but not the extension. If I were to design a weight carrying tail rack I would find some means of adding more support for the tail section, possibly adding strutts from the main triangle.

Teep
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage Empty

Back to top Go down

Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage
Page 1 of 8Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next