Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof

Go down 
+40
DragonNester
mash100
gatorfan
cmtnwr
Dancamp
picard
Dana44
Jersey Devil
galland1
Mr.Metal
turboedmsp
Swarty
simonpig
X-Racer
Herkypilot
bigbeariuka
WRoldman
inspector
Crawdaddy
Ceipherz
sswrx
BluePill
greer
Chrispy1200
YamWOW!
rydnseek
YZEtc
wildmotha
Chadx
ZED
dirtytrixx400
derm75
motokid
MeefZah
Navajib
skierd
King Wolf
SheWolf
mwakey
Jäger
44 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof Empty
PostSubject: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof EmptyMon Jun 01, 2009 1:58 am

This one is always good for a scrap! Usually starts out when somebody says the use WD-40 on their chain... At least in the mountain bike world it does.

So what are most people using as their cleaning method and what are you using for chain lube?

This is new ground for me after so long away from dirt bikes. In fact, the O ring chains first started coming out about the time I had my last motocross bike.

The accepted method of my day was to clean the chain in the solvent tank, blow it dry with compressed air, throw it into a can full of a devil's mixture consisting of a secret recipe of ski waxes (tougher than paraffin), graphite, molybdenum disulfide, some oils, etc, and let it sit overnight with the whole brew kept liquid on a hot plate. Drip dry the hot chain in the morning, wipe down really well, then reinstall and go riding. Nearly burned the house down once, but that's another story.

Anyways, now O ring chains and x ring chains are commonplace, and there seem to be enough different types of chain cleaners and lube out there that making up your own snake oil for cleaning and lubricating shouldn't be necessary any longer.

So what do you use???

Last edited by Jäger on Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof EmptyMon Jun 01, 2009 6:51 am

Never cleaned mine since I got it, but I ride the slab, so it doesn't get that dirty. I use Maxima Chain Wax. Good shite! Sticks good and doesn't sling off like oils.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof EmptyMon Jun 01, 2009 8:55 am

Kerosene to clean it. Cheap enuf, and doesn't wreck the rubber. Then a liberal application on Motul chain lube followed by ChainWax to seal it in. Holds up really well offroad. thumb

King Wolf

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof EmptyTue Jun 09, 2009 2:41 am

Hey where do you guys buy your chain wax/lube? As far as the Maxima stuff?
Do you know where i could pick it up cheap?
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof EmptyTue Jun 09, 2009 6:54 am

Got mine at the local Yammie dealer.
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof EmptyWed Jun 10, 2009 12:05 am

Ok, I'll start it... I use WD40 on my chain. Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof Duel

Just for cleaning the chain. Its been raining so much recently here, or I've been putting the bike someplace where the chain happens to get submerged in water and/or mud that I figure if RK recommends it (http://www.rkexcelamerica.com/faq.html) it can't hurt. I use Maxima Chain Wax after cleaning it, buy it from my dealer.
Back to top Go down
Navajib

Navajib

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 1:54 pm

I too, use WD-40 to clean the chain w a brush and a rag to remove old lube and grime. From my experience w different cleaning brushes, I prefer just a cheap $.30 tooth brush. Warm chain w a short ride, clean, and apply.

I use either Chain Wax or my favorite, Bel Ray.
Back to top Go down
MeefZah

MeefZah

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 7:17 pm

I use WD40 almost exclusively, I've been using a can of Chesterton Industrial Chain Lube a buddy stole from work, and I like it fine, but I'll go back to WD when it's empty.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 3:44 pm

Bel-Ray Super Clean Chain Lube is the ONLY way to go. NO mess and it wont fly off, EVER....
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Pronouced Rolling Squeek   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof EmptyFri Jul 10, 2009 8:31 am

I jumped on my X to ride into work this morning and I noticed for the first time a very pronounced squeek as the bike rolled. Sounds like it's coming from the rear end. Chain squeek? Don't know. I leave for work at 5:00am and it's still dark.
Over the weekend I'll be able to use my race stand and spin the rear wheel to get a better idea of where the squeek is coming from.

It's not an engine thing. It's a rolling thing. Obviously I've not had time to inspect anything just yet, but I was wondering if anybody has had this happen?

It's a 2008 with just over 1000 miles. I find it hard to believe it's a bearing noise. I find it hard to believe there's any squeek at all with such a new motorcycle.

Thoughts?

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof EmptyFri Jul 10, 2009 9:41 am

The guy I bought my WR/X from gave me his can of Chain Wax.

this stuff

Anybody use this? I wonder if I just need to spray this shit on my chain?

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
derm75

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof EmptyFri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 am

I've got one too. My squeek is def. in the front, heard when pushing the bike out of the garage or rolling it around with the engine off. I pulled the front wheel off last night, everything turned smoothly, put some new grease on the axle and assembled- no more squeek.... We'll see if it comes back after I ride today. Never had a squeek with the X wheels, only started after I put dirt wheels on. Coincidence?

Let us know when you figure out where yours is coming from. scratch
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof EmptyFri Jul 10, 2009 9:52 am

That's the exact same stuff I have. thumb I spray on some Motul chain lube first and let it set, then spray that stuff on and it works like a charm. Very happy

dirtytrixx400

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof EmptyFri Jul 10, 2009 10:11 am

it's probably only your chain...but,
could be the brakes
could be the wheel bearings
could be your rear suspension linkage...

if you haven't done it yet,you need to take the time to pull the rear suspension linkage and grease it....there is no lube in it from the factory. if it's not squeeking yet it will be soon...then it will shortly be crunching instead of squeeking...lol.

you could check your wheel bearings quickly by having someone just hold the bike over on the kickstand so that the rear wheel is off the ground....grab the tire at the front and rear and check for any lateral movement or any side to side play....any at all and it's bearing replacement time.

disc brakes can at times squeek....if it does or starts to do it all the time you can scuff the surface of the rotor with some medium or course scotch brite...you could also lightly scuff the pads too if you want to pull them out.
Back to top Go down
dirtytrixx400

dirtytrixx400

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof EmptyFri Jul 10, 2009 10:18 am

derm75 wrote:
I've got one too. My squeek is def. in the front, heard when pushing the bike out of the garage or rolling it around with the engine off. I pulled the front wheel off last night, everything turned smoothly, put some new grease on the axle and assembled- no more squeek.... We'll see if it comes back after I ride today. Never had a squeek with the X wheels, only started after I put dirt wheels on. Coincidence?

Let us know when you figure out where yours is coming from. scratch

yours is probably only the brakes. you need to check your wheel bearings with the wheel on the bike......with the tire off the ground...any side to side play is a no-go for the bearings...just replace them if there is any.
there is nothing rotating on the axle,it's only a clamp...but it does need grease on it to protect it from oxidizng/rusting.
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof EmptyFri Jul 10, 2009 10:46 am

Some times when the mice on the treadwheel are really tired, they'll squeek.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof EmptyFri Jul 10, 2009 10:47 am

dirtytrixx400 wrote:
it's probably only your chain

please please please.......

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
dirtytrixx400

dirtytrixx400

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof EmptyFri Jul 10, 2009 1:20 pm

ZED wrote:
Some times when the mice on the treadwheel are really tired, they'll squeek.

yep...they will do that...lol....you should swap them out for non-squeeking hamsters when that happens. freaky

Last edited by dirtytrixx400 on Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Chadx

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof EmptyFri Jul 10, 2009 1:21 pm

I agree on the chain as the probably culprit. When they don't get lubed enough, the stock chains make a heck of a squeal (actually, a choir of squeaks that, when all streamed together, sound like a squeal).
Back to top Go down
Chadx

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof EmptyFri Jul 10, 2009 1:22 pm

dirtytrixx400 wrote:
you should swap them out for non-squeeking hampsters when that happens.

Aftermarket, high performance, race hamsters.
Back to top Go down
dirtytrixx400

dirtytrixx400

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof EmptyFri Jul 10, 2009 1:33 pm

Chadx wrote:
dirtytrixx400 wrote:
you should swap them out for non-squeeking hampsters when that happens.

Aftermarket, high performance, race hamsters.

i only use h/p race spec hamsters in my super-moto converted lawn tractor also.... wink

seriously....the chain will also require lube more often too as it wears....you can almost tell it's getting to the end of it's usable life when you need to lube it so frequently just to keep it quiet.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof EmptyFri Jul 10, 2009 4:35 pm

Popped WR/X up on race stand and sprayed chain with Chain Wax right after I got home from work.

Next ride will tell me if the noise was the chain or not. Actually...I just have to drop bike off stand and push her....

Fingers crossed.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof EmptyFri Jul 10, 2009 5:34 pm

woot woot - initial test a success. I dropped her off the stand and pushed her around the driveway, and not a squeek to be heard.

Next test might have to wait for tomorrow...but I'm feeling much better already.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof EmptyFri Jul 10, 2009 11:44 pm

motokid wrote:
woot woot - initial test a success. I dropped her off the stand and pushed her around the driveway, and not a squeek to be heard.

Next test might have to wait for tomorrow...but I'm feeling much better already.

Yup. Just like the man said. Race Hamsters all round. freaky
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 12:17 am

As mentioned, the stock chain squeaks like the devil when it gets dry or crusty. I just consider it a built in warning that its time to clean/lube the chain again. poser2
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof Empty

Back to top Go down

Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next