Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Looking for boot advice

Go down 
+8
bsheet2
Chrispy1200
mordicai
X-Racer
spacecadet
mucker
RattTongue
IAmABug
12 posters
AuthorMessage
IAmABug

Looking for boot advice Empty
PostSubject: Looking for boot advice   Looking for boot advice EmptyMon Sep 19, 2011 12:00 am

I am looking at getting a pair of motocross boots. Riding the WR250R road and dirt I need to find a pair that will work for everyday riding walking groceries etc. Any thoughts. And I know nothing of boots at this time. Pickin the bike up on Tuesday. Havnt ridden in 5yrs.
Back to top Go down
RattTongue

PostSubject: Re: Looking for boot advice   Looking for boot advice EmptyMon Sep 19, 2011 11:57 am

I have a pair of Gaerne Balance Pro-Tech boots that I really like. They are actually more of a trials boot. They dont offer as much protection as a full on MX boot. The upside is that they still provide a lot of feel or feedback while riding and you can easily walk around in them.
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: Looking for boot advice   Looking for boot advice EmptyMon Sep 19, 2011 4:23 pm

My Thor Quadrants suck for walking. They suck for shifting and braking...not to mention a buckle issue, as well as they are the largest size I've ever purchased, for some reason.
Though, I can't imagine needing more protection and they are damn near water proof to up past the boot, thanks to the elastic cuff on top.
They were cheap protection and not alot more.
Next time I will definitely shop with a fist full of cash, and settle for nothing less than a dream boot.
...Good luck.
Back to top Go down
spacecadet

PostSubject: Re: Looking for boot advice   Looking for boot advice EmptyMon Sep 19, 2011 4:47 pm

sidi crossfires srs.

i could wear them all day, easily replaceable soles, fit awesome, lots of protection.

you can usually score a pair cheap *well "cheap"* compared to what they are new, if you get them used, ebay ect.

i got my pair for 250ish.

Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: Looking for boot advice   Looking for boot advice EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 11:11 pm

I bought a pair of Fox Comp 5.0. Wicked boot. There are super light and fit like a ski boot. Now I just have to get the shifter to a spot I can shift with the boot on.
Back to top Go down
spacecadet

PostSubject: Re: Looking for boot advice   Looking for boot advice EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 11:32 pm

good luck.

i could not get the stock shifter to a place i was comfortable with.

the driven aluminum shifter sits perfect though.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Looking for boot advice   Looking for boot advice EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 12:20 am

Doesn't sound like you want a MX boot (perse').

If you're not riding seriously off-road there are a lot of nice comfortable alternatives.

The Sidi Discoveries are about as nice a boot you can buy.

Expensive, but more than exceptionally comfortable.

Whatever you do, don't sacrifice money for comfort.
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: Looking for boot advice   Looking for boot advice EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 1:01 am

I was in the same place as you and finally decided on a pair TCX X-5 Gore Tex boots made in Italy. I wear them everyday around town walk all over the place, they look great under a pair of jeans super comfortable but have good protection for road and off road riding. Check them out on the web.
Back to top Go down
Chrispy1200

Chrispy1200

PostSubject: Re: Looking for boot advice   Looking for boot advice EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 7:19 am

X-Racer wrote:
Doesn't sound like you want a MX boot (perse').

If you're not riding seriously off-road there are a lot of nice comfortable alternatives.

The Sidi Discoveries are about as nice a boot you can buy.

Expensive, but more than exceptionally comfortable.

Whatever you do, don't sacrifice money for comfort.

+1

I have a pair of the Discoveries. Love them.
Back to top Go down
bsheet2

bsheet2

PostSubject: Re: Looking for boot advice   Looking for boot advice EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 8:50 am

+1 on the Sidi Discovry boot.
Back to top Go down
drater

drater

PostSubject: Re: Looking for boot advice   Looking for boot advice EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 6:33 pm

go with the TCX boot
Back to top Go down
Rule292

Rule292

PostSubject: Re: Looking for boot advice   Looking for boot advice EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 7:03 pm

bsheet2 wrote:
+1 on the Sidi Discovry boot.

i've looked and tried on SIDI's, both Discoveries and Crossfires.

As much as I'd like to like them, they hurt me in the metatarsal area. I had injuries to both of my feet there over the years.

I need a replacement for my "temporary" boots, my trusty old Red Wing 2410 work boots. They are unfortunately too big in the toe box area and were the cause of one of my injuries years ago when I wasn't laced tight eough to prevent movement.

So I've tried Alpinestars Tech 3's and they fit me great. But unfortunately they aren't much of a walking boot.

I'd consider Gaerne but the Balance probably has about as much ankle support as my Red wings do.

Any other good suggestions?
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Looking for boot advice   Looking for boot advice EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 11:52 pm

Well...I've got Fox Comp boots. I can walk around in them all day and not blister, quite comfy actually....and I can shift without any trouble. I did move the shifter up 3 splines a while back for some extra clearance, and I can comfortably get the toe of the boot under it without having to move my entire leg. Looking for boot advice 61865

PostSubject: Re: Looking for boot advice   Looking for boot advice EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 1:23 pm

mucker wrote:
My Thor Quadrants suck for walking. They suck for shifting and braking...not to mention a buckle issue, as well as they are the largest size I've ever purchased, for some reason.
Though, I can't imagine needing more protection and they are damn near water proof to up past the boot, thanks to the elastic cuff on top.
They were cheap protection and not alot more.
Next time I will definitely shop with a fist full of cash, and settle for nothing less than a dream boot.
...Good luck.

If you bought those new you could have had close to a dream boot for the same price. Check out used Alpinestars tech 3 and tech 6 boots on ebay. They go for between 40 and 90 dollars usually and offer very good protection. I've heard mixed review about how waterproof they are, but that takes a back seat to protection imo.

OP, a lot of boots are offered with a workboot sole (usually referred to as an ATV sole, but manufacturers vary) which will provide more traction while out walking and will still provide decent protection. It will still be somewhat uncomfortable to walk in them and do anything other than offroad. I'd recommend two boots, a pair of doc martens or similar work boot for street, grocery getting, short trips and then a pair of used mx boots for offroading, mx, exploring, etc. It should cost you about $150-200 total and you'll be much more comfortable for a variety of different settings.
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: Looking for boot advice   Looking for boot advice EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 7:26 pm

My buddy bought the competing set of alpinestars...they look nicer. Though he has the same complaints as I, generaly...we're just havin a hard time with mx boots, I guess. Though his boots handle water way less than mine...seems to be my favorite feature. Specialy now that things are turning cold...dry feet is a major bonus.

I just started wearing them again...started blowin shifts again Rolling Eyes

My shifter is as high as it will go...any less, my mx boots wont work at all.

I'ld love to drop my shifter...guess I need better boots?!...maybe ridin lessons too...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking for boot advice   Looking for boot advice Empty

Back to top Go down

Looking for boot advice
Page 1 of 1