Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof

Go down 
+40
DragonNester
mash100
gatorfan
cmtnwr
Dancamp
picard
Dana44
Jersey Devil
galland1
Mr.Metal
turboedmsp
Swarty
simonpig
X-Racer
Herkypilot
bigbeariuka
WRoldman
inspector
Crawdaddy
Ceipherz
sswrx
BluePill
greer
Chrispy1200
YamWOW!
rydnseek
YZEtc
wildmotha
Chadx
ZED
dirtytrixx400
derm75
motokid
MeefZah
Navajib
skierd
King Wolf
SheWolf
mwakey
Jäger
44 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 10:23 am

Thankfully, no...otherwise it would have ended up like the Death Wings...IN THE CARPORT. Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 3 810411

motokid

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 4:09 pm

Can somebody post a picture of this "rubber ring"?

Ack...nevermind....I just went into garage and looked. Mine has it. Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 3 9356 Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 3 9356 Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 3 9356 Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 3 9356

So....can I cut that bitch off? What's the point of it?

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 4:19 pm

Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 3 DSCN0530

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 4:36 pm

My guess is it would act as a damper for noise or vibration?
Back to top Go down
Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 2:37 am

rydnseek wrote:
......There are hundreds of dirt bikers who just use wd-40 on their chains.

More like thousands, and I'm one of'em.....

One night several years ago I was at a monthly meeting with my sport bike club........the guest speaker that night was a guy from RK Chains.......the inevitable question came up regarding what lube/wax to use.......he said the guys at RK just use WD-40 and the rest was all "snake oil"..........that was good enough for me.....if the guys that work for the chain company are content with WD-40 I see no reason to differ..........and, like Scotty, I mainly ride in the dirt/sand......that last thing I want is some goopy mess that actually attracts dirt....my $.02 on this subject
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 11:51 am

motokid wrote:
Can somebody post a picture of this "rubber ring"?

Ack...nevermind....I just went into garage and looked. Mine has it.

You can cut it off as others have done. (sounds like it is a REAL biotch thou)

Mine has it still on and I haven't had any problems with it other then the first few weeks, (don't think the guy I bought it from adj, nor cleaned it very well). Maybe it was just coincidence, but since I adjusted it and keep it lubed up...no problems.
Back to top Go down
WRoldman

WRoldman

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 12:49 pm

The following is from the FAQ of RK's website. Take it or leave it.

A. Doing routine maintenance on any chain is
a crucial step to getting the maximum wearlife
out of your chain. You should clean and check
its adjustment every 400 miles (sooner if the
chain gets excessively dirty). Use formulated
O-ring chain cleaner or other similar product
to keep dirt from building up around link plates
and rollers. Don’t use a wire brush or pressure
washer. If your chain comes in contact with water,
be sure to use a moisture displacement (like WD40).
Lubing an O-Ring chain is vital for maximum wearlife.
All RK O-Ring chains are injected at the factory
with a lifetime supply of internal lubricant.
The purpose of an O-Ring lube is to keep the chain
from rusting and the O-rings from drying out.
Use a lubricant specifically designed for O-Ring Chains.

Personally, I like kerosene as chain cleaner. It's safe for o-rings, cheap & does a good job. I follow up with lube, but kerosene leaves a oily film behind which might work well for anti-lubers. My 08 has had none of the squeaky issues.

Back to top Go down
rydnseek

rydnseek

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 9:02 pm

I could hear the sqeaking for a while at first.. i wasn't sure what it was. I read on one of the forums that someone thought it was the rubber rings around the gears. I put a different front gear on & didn't hear it as much. Now that i have almost 3k miles on it, with a lot of dirt & work on the chain, I haven't noticed it. I put the stock front gear back on, & after putting on the fmf pipe, i can't hear any squeaking at all! :)

I really only heard it if i rode slow & easy beside a curb.. where the curb would reflect the sound from the bike. It may have also been the chain 'guide' in the CS cover. I put a 14 tooth sprocket in for a while, which would have worn it down more. Then it would have had more clearance when i put the stocker back in. Now i don't run with the cover on at all.

Anyway, it's not an issue for me.. & i still just hose off the chain after a ride (along with the rest of the bike), then spray on a little wd-40 to finish up. Cheap, fast, & easy.. just like me.

scotty
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 8:02 am

I think maybe mine is squeaking less as the miles add up. It mainly bothers me when I'm riding slow going thru town, the squeaking seems to echo like crazy as I'm riding around the square. I've just started lubing it whenever I think of it as a preventive measure. I like the Dupont Teflon Multi-Use stuff; buy it in the can from Lowes, and I've seen it at Derby Cycles in a handy little squirt bottle.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-chain-lube/dupont-teflon-chain-saver/

Sarah
Back to top Go down
bigbeariuka

PostSubject: New bike new chain   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 17, 2010 2:13 am

How often should I lube the chain on my new bike. Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 17, 2010 5:39 am

Opinions will vary; some will say every few hundred miles, some will say never. I like this Multi-Use stuff:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-chain-lube/dupont-teflon-chain-saver/

Sarah
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 17, 2010 6:08 am

I do it when the rollers get shiny (the rollers are the cylinder-shaped things that contact your sprocket teeth).
Off-road, that means after every ride.
On the street, that's a few hundred miles if you've got a good chain lube, and less milage with a wimpy chain lube. :)

My opinion is that lubing an O- or X-ring chain helps by cushioning and silencing the rollers on their insides where they contact the chain bushings and their outsides where they contact the sprocket.
Also fights external rust and keeps the rubber rings soft and pliable.

These roller parts ain't sealed by the rubber rings of the chain, so this helps.
I like to clean the dirt off the chain with a nylon-bristled brush before hitting it with lube, and also do it when the chain is warm just after a ride, if possible.

An often overlooked biggie is chain slack.
It's common for riders to have their chain too tight, forgetting that as the rear suspension moves upward toward mid-stroke, slack is taken out of the chain.
That's why you need to start off with enough.
Back to top Go down
Herkypilot

Herkypilot

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 9:27 pm

I'd have to disagree with you YZ - those O-rings are there precisely to keep the lube in and the dirt out. That's why you don't want to clean them with pressurized water. You'll force water past the O-ring and mix it with the lube that's inside, degrading it's performance. If you believe this isn't true, why waste your money on an O-ring chain at all - a non o-ring chain is cheaper.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 10:25 pm

You misunderstand.
The rollers ain't sealed by the O-rings.
The rollers are the parts that contact the sprocket teeth.
These rollers are just sitting there on top of the bushing, and is the reason for the jingly noise a dry chain makes.

The O-rings seal the pin and bushing area, the area that becomes elongated with wear and causes chain "stretch" due to each chain joint getting loose and sloppy.
Without these O-rings, dirt will cause rapid elongation from wear when it gets into this part of the chain.
Because of this, O-ring chains are worth it and last a lot longer.

However, ever put an O-ring master link together?
Think about how it's put together, and then explain how the O-rings seal anything but where the pins go through the bushings. :)
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 27, 2010 2:05 am

Big Bear: Depends...

Dry dusty conditions are less of an impact to lubrication degradation than wet, muddy conditions.

If you have the opportunity to lube it when you are out, that certainly
won't hurt. Lube it...

However lubing a dirty chain isn't of much use, so if your interest is prolonged wear, the trick is to keep it clean and lubed (regardless of chain type).

I have subscribed to the YZEtc method for over 30 years and never had a chain malfunction (the trick there is also continuous and accurate adjustment). I had over 15 K miles on an off-road bike chain that barely showed signs of wear (arc measurement). CA desert use context.

Warm soapy water and a nylon bristle/tile brush and clean it completely and rise using mild pressure. I actually use a spray gunk to loosen the outside (and general area around the both sprockets/axle/hub/swingarm/chain guide) spray off ( light pressure on chain - enough to remove debris), and then go at it with the brush and soapy water until you can literally lick it (the chain). Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 3 810411

Afterwards, I ride the bike (mid 2nd gear is enough around the block) to spin the H2O off, then use WD and apply liberally and wipe off. When I am ready to ride I use motor oil by putting my finger over the spout and while spinning the wheel, apply a fine line of oil along both sides of the links and the the center. Spin for a minute or so, and then wipe off excess.

I never had any confidence in spray-on lubricants. They seemed to retain more debris than I cared to see lodged on my chain. My basis of estimate is simply spinning the wheel after use. Oil simply seems to work better IMO.

So while the oil does fly off and requires a lil more time to clean, it's MUCH easier to clean than chain wax (you COULD actually lick the chain after three minutes of elbow grease and a good brush) and the level of lubrication and chain longevity is exceptionally better (again, regardless of chain type).

- Robert
Back to top Go down
Herkypilot

Herkypilot

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 27, 2010 7:46 am

YZEtc wrote:
You misunderstand.
The rollers ain't sealed by the O-rings.
The rollers are the parts that contact the sprocket teeth.
These rollers are just sitting there on top of the bushing, and is the reason for the jingly noise a dry chain makes.

The O-rings seal the pin and bushing area, the area that becomes elongated with wear and causes chain "stretch" due to each chain joint getting loose and sloppy.
Without these O-rings, dirt will cause rapid elongation from wear when it gets into this part of the chain.
Because of this, O-ring chains are worth it and last a lot longer.

However, ever put an O-ring master link together?
Think about how it's put together, and then explain how the O-rings seal anything but where the pins go through the bushings. :)

I suppose the misunderstanding was from it being too brutally obvious to state the outside of the rollers aren't protected by the O-rings. Yes, I have put an O-ring master link together. That's what really prompted my response is I know how much pressure it takes to seal. Otherwise I agree with all you stated. I keep my chain lubed up after cleaning.

HP
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 27, 2010 1:07 pm

Cool.
Sounds good. :)
Back to top Go down
simonpig

simonpig

PostSubject: MYSTERY: Weird Squealing Sound   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 3 EmptySat May 29, 2010 4:55 pm

Trying to solve this because its making me really paranoid.

Last week, on my trip back down from Mass., I was on the highway at walking speeds (2-5mph) since the traffic was backed up. I started hearing this high pitched squealing sound when I turned the throttle to keep the bike in motion. It was faint but barely audible over the FMF pipe. (same pitch as a loose rubber alternator belt in a running car engine, if you know what I mean, but not as loud)

I wrecked earlier on a trail ride in the woods, so I thought maybe the rear tire was slightly off alignment and the 13t rubber mounted CS was the was causing this.

Anyway, forward to yesterday, I install the 12t JT sprocket non rubber mounted CS and can hear the same squealing? Checked the rear axle blocks and those are in alignment, the chain tension is correct.

Does something need to be greased, rear axle. Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 3 EmptySat May 29, 2010 5:57 pm

Might it be this? <--- clicky

Do you have stock rear sprocket with rubber crap on it?????

I think that's the source of most squealing noise my wr250x.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 3 EmptySun May 30, 2010 1:36 am

Just to keep the squeaky chain thread alive...

The girl and I are coming out of NM on a brief 120 mile RT ride (originating in AZ) and she pulls along side me and in spite of my noise defying XD helmet I'm hearing this high pitched squeal.

So we stop and I prop the bike up on the kickstand and realize the noise, in-fact, is coming from the chain drive.

A simple squirt of WD relieved he problem. Longer term oil lube/saturation completely relieved the symptom.

Lube it, or loose it...
Back to top Go down
simonpig

simonpig

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 3 EmptySun May 30, 2010 2:05 am

Ah yes, thanks. I looked into the "something broke" forum and found several threads on it. I will look at all the bearings and the chain. That stock is chain is quite crappy. For some reason it develops rust really easily?
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 3 EmptySun May 30, 2010 3:17 am

Actually, the stock chain is a good quality piece.
Do you lube it to keep the bare steel from rusting?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 3 EmptySun May 30, 2010 7:41 am

I'd be willing to bet, if you have the stock rear sprocket, and it looks like this:
Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 3 DSCN0530

that your source of the squealing is the rubber on the sprocket.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
simonpig

simonpig

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 3 EmptyMon May 31, 2010 4:42 pm

I do lube it, every 600 or so miles. Over the winter the garage, I was keeping my bike in developed a little leak in the ceiling so a bit of rain was dripping onto the rear seat and some of it made it onto the chain. I cleaned the rust off with a brush as best I could, but its never been the same since.
Back to top Go down
simonpig

simonpig

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 3 EmptyMon May 31, 2010 4:45 pm

I was thinking the same thing. If it is the rear rubber thing, then I 'll just have to wait till I do a full sprocket and chain replace.

By the way, does anyone know what that rubber coil wrapped around the front wheel hub next to the sprocket does? I would love to axe it.

motokid wrote:
I'd be willing to bet, if you have the stock rear sprocket, and it looks like this:

that your source of the squealing is the rubber on the sprocket.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next