Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Forgot to remove the disc lock on the rear....

Go down 
+3
GusinCA
trav72
bigg
7 posters
AuthorMessage
bigg

bigg

Forgot to remove the disc lock on the rear.... Empty
PostSubject: Forgot to remove the disc lock on the rear....   Forgot to remove the disc lock on the rear.... EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 10:11 am

so as title says. The inevitable finally happened. I've had nightmares about this for a while. (except they ended with a smashed disc eeek )

Today I forgot to remove the rear disc lock, and rode off happily. Luckily, visually the disc and brake pads (and the whole system) look fine.

But I would still like some confirmation? Will I risk anything? maybe in an emergency brake that I could have possibly damaged something??

(personally, I dont think so). Also the lock just broke clean off the turning point... like butter (thank god I bought made in china cheers )

It looks like this part took the most of the force (found some paint from the lock on it) so the actual pads I think didn't receive any impact. Just that bit (circle) and the disc

Forgot to remove the disc lock on the rear.... Immag016

What do you think?
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: Forgot to remove the disc lock on the rear....   Forgot to remove the disc lock on the rear.... EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 10:51 am

bigg wrote:

What do you think?

I think you bought a cheap ass lock and got lucky it didn't damage anything. No point in having one if they break that easy huh?
Back to top Go down
bigg

bigg

PostSubject: Re: Forgot to remove the disc lock on the rear....   Forgot to remove the disc lock on the rear.... EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 10:58 am

trav72 wrote:
bigg wrote:

What do you think?

I think you bought a cheap ass lock and got lucky it didn't damage anything. No point in having one if they break that easy huh?

My exact same though Very happy

However Im worried about hidden damage... I feel breaking performance is normal right now, but what about 1000 miles from now? will the disc suddenly break because of some minute cracks that have formed from the blow??

I know im being paranoid Shog but would like to know what others think
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: Forgot to remove the disc lock on the rear....   Forgot to remove the disc lock on the rear.... EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 11:14 am

Just ride it and check it every now and again for peace of mind. I'm sure it's fine.
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: Forgot to remove the disc lock on the rear....   Forgot to remove the disc lock on the rear.... EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 11:45 am

And next time use that goofy string and tie it to your handlebar... :)
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Forgot to remove the disc lock on the rear....   Forgot to remove the disc lock on the rear.... EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 11:48 am

I would be much more concerned if it was front brake and not rear.

As it is - remove rear caliper and inspect visually. Inspect brake disc and pads visually.
Satisfy yourself that there's nothing damaged and consider yourself lucky.

Next time get some kind of tether, bungee, or string that attaches to lock and throttle.
Handy reminder.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
BoredAzHell20

PostSubject: Re: Forgot to remove the disc lock on the rear....   Forgot to remove the disc lock on the rear.... EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 12:10 pm

couldn't agree more with motokid.

If your still in the market for a disc lock try looking into xena locks. Good stuff. There were a lot of times I forgot to take off the disk lock but it has a motion sensor which goes off if the lock moves very slightly. 120dB alarm is pretty damn loud and you will never forget to unlock the disc again.

Plus I got these locks more for theft that involves them just handling the bike (to throw in a truck or van) rather the very rare scenario of them just riding the bike away. Tilting the bike straight up is enough movement to trigger the lock alarm to go off.
Back to top Go down
mrgeoff

PostSubject: Re: Forgot to remove the disc lock on the rear....   Forgot to remove the disc lock on the rear.... EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 4:36 pm

I probably do this to my rear disk once every few weeks.... my lock isn't broken though, so I must have a good one ;-)

I have to turn it round in the garden, so I'm not going sharply under too much load, but it certainly wakes me up when it happens!!!
Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

PostSubject: Re: Forgot to remove the disc lock on the rear....   Forgot to remove the disc lock on the rear.... EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 8:44 pm

My buddy said I should get a disc lock, to which I replied, "Why? The bike weighs less than 300 lbs. Any decent size guy could drag it away and toss it in a van/truck in a hurry if he wanted."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Forgot to remove the disc lock on the rear....   Forgot to remove the disc lock on the rear.... Empty

Back to top Go down

Forgot to remove the disc lock on the rear....
Page 1 of 1