Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Chain rubbing tire?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
WRXZ

WRXZ

Chain rubbing tire? Empty
PostSubject: Chain rubbing tire?   Chain rubbing tire? EmptyMon Oct 17, 2011 8:55 pm

Went for a 60 mile ride today and noticed some chain rub on the rear tire. Figured chain must be loose so I checked and its in spec (10 mm from swingarm when pushing up on chain at the designated point in yamaha service bulletin. Bike is 2010 with 5100 miles, all street, orig. Sprockets and chain, bt090 140/70/17 rear tire with 1000 miles. I'm confused, can't figure why chain started rubbing its within spec and I've actually run it looser without issue in the past. Then all of a sudden today chain starts contacting tire. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Tim
Back to top Go down
bmwrider1946

PostSubject: Re: Chain rubbing tire?   Chain rubbing tire? EmptyMon Oct 17, 2011 9:51 pm

Did you check the chain adjustment stops on both sides to make sure they are at the same location?
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Chain rubbing tire?   Chain rubbing tire? EmptyMon Oct 17, 2011 11:16 pm

Your chain is probably just about worn out, giving it more lateral play than its supposed to have. Mine starting eating into the tire at the tightness I always run it at when it got really worn. Since I've replaced it I haven't had an issue.

Just to note, you've got maybe 100-200 miles to swap the chain before it eats away at the chain slider underneath the swingarm pivot bolt if it hasn't already. Mine went from fine to f*cked in a 100 mile ride with the worn chain... Replace that sucker! thumb
Back to top Go down
WRXZ

WRXZ

PostSubject: Re: Chain rubbing tire?   Chain rubbing tire? EmptyMon Oct 17, 2011 11:21 pm

They are. I also measured from the swingarm pivot shaft to the axle on both sides of the bike to confirm the rear tire is properly aligned. Guess its time for a new chain. Any suggestions, I plan on keeping stock gearing as I ride almost purely street, and should I replace the sprockets at the same time even though they appear to have minimal wear?

Tthanks,
Tim
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Chain rubbing tire?   Chain rubbing tire? EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 12:25 am

I've always replaced chain and sprockets at the same time. What looks to be not too bad is usually worse than I thought when I see the new stuff, but not always. If you were going to keep the stock sprockets for now, though I'd definitely consider a new front minimum, I'd order a stock chain from Yamaha Sports Plaza for ~$55 along with a stock front sprocket for $15ish. Don't use a breaker, use the 1pc chain as an excuse to take the swingarm off and grease the pivot bolt and other suspension linkages.

All of my replacement chains so far have been RK X-ring chains purchsed either from Dennis Kirk or ebay for about $75 with JT steel sprockets front and rear at $15-30 each, I get about 10-15k out of them in mostly street with some dirt use and not a lot of care. Stock bits I only got ~5500 miles before they wore out.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chain rubbing tire?   Chain rubbing tire? Empty

Back to top Go down

Chain rubbing tire?
Page 1 of 1