Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Just Installed the Tail Bag...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
GusinCA

GusinCA

Just Installed the Tail Bag... Empty
PostSubject: Just Installed the Tail Bag...   Just Installed the Tail Bag... EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 6:02 pm

So I just installed the tail bag from Yamaha.

The problem was, I already had the tail rack from Yamaha on the bike.

Ok, so the tail bag is supposed to be held on the bike by nothing more than the plastic of the rear fender.

I say no sir.

So after drilling a couple of holes though the plate on top of the tail rack, I screw the tail bag onto the tail rack plate. Presto, a MUCH stronger tail bag.

So if anyone is thinking about mounting the rack or the bag, do both...
Back to top Go down
MOTO134

MOTO134

PostSubject: Re: Just Installed the Tail Bag...   Just Installed the Tail Bag... EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 7:55 pm

actually the tail bag bolts to the rear sub frame under the fender there are holes in the subframe for it thats how mine is and its very sturdy
Back to top Go down
KC0514

KC0514

PostSubject: Re: Just Installed the Tail Bag...   Just Installed the Tail Bag... EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 8:30 pm

Either of you guys have any pics?

Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: Just Installed the Tail Bag...   Just Installed the Tail Bag... EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 8:43 pm

No, the tail bag installation has big washers, 4 screws and 4 locknuts to attach to the plastic and not the subframe.

There's a gap between the fender and the subframe, and trying to mount the tailbag to that would push the fender down until it cracks...
Back to top Go down
MOTO134

MOTO134

PostSubject: Re: Just Installed the Tail Bag...   Just Installed the Tail Bag... EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 10:27 pm

been a year and a half since i installed mine looks like i used longer screws and nylon bushings between the fender and subframe but the holes do line up with each other...guess i was just a lil smarter than yamaha that day lol... another thing the bolts also hold my edge license bracket on too Just Installed the Tail Bag... DSCF0406 lol yes she sleeps in my kitchen
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: Just Installed the Tail Bag...   Just Installed the Tail Bag... EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 11:49 pm

Yeah, the holes do line up, but they don't include spacers or bolts long enough to mount it to the subframe, which I thought was wierd. So I took the two rear bolts from the rack and put those through the bag, and drilled two new holes in the aluminum plate from the rack and put the front two screws and locknuts in there. Solid.

But I'm not sure that Yamaha thought it through, just telling people to mount the bag to the plastic. I would think that over time it would crack from all the bouncing around that part of the bike goes through...
Back to top Go down
MOTO134

MOTO134

PostSubject: Re: Just Installed the Tail Bag...   Just Installed the Tail Bag... EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 11:56 pm

i do miss the look of just the rear fender though
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: Just Installed the Tail Bag...   Just Installed the Tail Bag... EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 11:59 pm

For sure it looks cleaner without the bag, but when I ride by myself in the middle of nowhere I take quite a bit of gear and water, and my backpack was just getting too heavy...

By the way, LOVE the bike in the kitchen. Awesome.
Back to top Go down
MOTO134

MOTO134

PostSubject: Re: Just Installed the Tail Bag...   Just Installed the Tail Bag... EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 2:47 pm

thanks....i have nowhere else to put her next project is a garage
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: Just Installed the Tail Bag...   Just Installed the Tail Bag... EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 3:36 pm

Don't do it, the bike will feel like it's been ousted and it will break down on you in the middle of nowhere for revenge. I know, I went to look at the new BMW convertible and my Mustang had it's first mechanical problem the day after.

They know.
Back to top Go down
MOTO134

MOTO134

PostSubject: Re: Just Installed the Tail Bag...   Just Installed the Tail Bag... EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 8:17 pm

LOL na shes a YAMMIEHA knocks on wood Shog
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just Installed the Tail Bag...   Just Installed the Tail Bag... Empty

Back to top Go down

Just Installed the Tail Bag...
Page 1 of 1