Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Using OE rear sprocket bolts on aftermarket TAPERED holes?!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
format120

Using OE rear sprocket bolts on aftermarket TAPERED holes?! Empty
PostSubject: Using OE rear sprocket bolts on aftermarket TAPERED holes?!   Using OE rear sprocket bolts on aftermarket TAPERED holes?! EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 8:59 am

After reading what seems like hundreds of threads I got two fairly consistent rules about swapping sprockets:

1. use new locknuts with threadlock
2. tapered holes require tapered bolts

The problem with this is that I've seen numerous riders who seem to have much more mx/enduro knowledge than me not following those rules at all.

One such rider used this sprocket: https://2img.net/h/i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x477/ac65535/047.jpg
And here it is swapped on the bike using non-tapered OE WRR bolts: https://2img.net/h/i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x477/ac65535/062.jpg

Anyway, my renthal rear sprocket arrived with 12 holes. The non-tapered holes are quite large, but were perfectly aligned for my hub so I bolted them up. I don't have the stock sprocket to compare, previous owner was using OE bolts with a tapered-hole supersprox sprocket. Anyway, I tightened the bolts in a star pattern and so far so good. I'm getting tapered bolts today to use in the tapered holes so I won't have to worry, but I've seen pictures of riders using these slightly oversized holes with OE bolts.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
TwilightZone

PostSubject: Re: Using OE rear sprocket bolts on aftermarket TAPERED holes?!   Using OE rear sprocket bolts on aftermarket TAPERED holes?! EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 10:20 am

Some sprockets come with 'dual holes' (12 instead of 6)... so you can used non-tapered and tapered bolts. (depending on what bolts you have).
Tapered bolts in tapered holes... straight bolts in straight holes.
Back to top Go down
format120

PostSubject: Re: Using OE rear sprocket bolts on aftermarket TAPERED holes?!   Using OE rear sprocket bolts on aftermarket TAPERED holes?! EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 1:15 pm

That's my point though, some people are using non-tapered bolts (OE button head style) with holes that are conically tapered for flat socket style bolts. And from the looks of it, they aren't having any problems.

The sprocket I took off my bike was on there for at least the 200 or 300 miles that I put on, let alone at least a few miles (probably more) that the previous owner accumulated. There was no damage to the holes (egging, galling, etc) that I can see and the bolts were all torqued properly. Surprisingly, it almost seems like it doesn't matter what style of bolt you use as the hub hole is sized very close (~+1/-1 mm). All those bolts do is just stop rotation and the minimal shearing forces from hitting things while offroading.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Using OE rear sprocket bolts on aftermarket TAPERED holes?!   Using OE rear sprocket bolts on aftermarket TAPERED holes?! Empty

Back to top Go down

Using OE rear sprocket bolts on aftermarket TAPERED holes?!
Page 1 of 1