Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Bigger fuel tank

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
sewerat

Bigger fuel tank Empty
PostSubject: Bigger fuel tank   Bigger fuel tank EmptyFri Nov 18, 2011 2:28 pm

I am really going to need a bigger the stock fuel tank. Now my question reall becomes how big and what one? I think I need the 4.7 tanks but is one any better then the other? IMS or safari? Or does come to price and availability.
Back to top Go down
BoredAzHell20

Bigger fuel tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bigger fuel tank   Bigger fuel tank EmptyFri Nov 18, 2011 3:49 pm

sewerat wrote:
I am really going to need a bigger the stock fuel tank. Now my question reall becomes how big and what one? I think I need the 4.7 tanks but is one any better then the other? IMS or safari? Or does come to price and availability.

This is basically a question only you can answer since it is a preference; Like which toppings you like with a pizza.

I went with the IMS 3 gallon tank for a few reasons. It still uses the stock shrouds and it provides enough fuel for my needs. Low fuel light usually comes on at 120 miles and probably have another 40 to 50 more miles in there to get me by. That is more than enough range for me.

I guess the question you have to ask yourself is this when choosing a fuel tank:
1) what is the mile range you are looking for in your tank?
2) do you care if you can use existing fairings with the new tank or not.
3) Price. I think they are all are the same quality.

Back to top Go down
sturgeon

sturgeon

Bigger fuel tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bigger fuel tank   Bigger fuel tank EmptyFri Nov 18, 2011 4:44 pm

sewerat wrote:

I've been tracking my mileage since new (3,000 km now), and I calculate I get around 200 km to dead empty on the OEM tank.
Of course, I've never let it run dry ...
I can do better if I exercise right wrist control (yeah, right).
That extrapolates to about 300 km with the IMS 3.1 and maybe 450 with the bigger tank, if their volumes are as advertised.
I'm upgrading to the 3.1 this winter, and I'll carry 1 or 2 Rotopax's on the very rare occasions I need more.
300 km is good enough for me (say about 280 for a safety margin).
Those are actual km BTW, my odo reads about 3.5% high.
Back to top Go down
sewerat

Bigger fuel tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bigger fuel tank   Bigger fuel tank EmptyFri Nov 18, 2011 6:38 pm

Right now as the bike is new to me and I seem to only know one speed WOT. I am hitting the fuel light at about 95kms on the odo. Not sure how acturate that us as the speedo is out about 20kms at highway speeds. I am going to try the 13 tooth sprocket this weekend and see if much different. I also now have a rotopax so now I don't mind seeing how empty empty is. But with 100kms on odo it takes about 6l fuel.
Back to top Go down
sturgeon

sturgeon

Bigger fuel tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bigger fuel tank   Bigger fuel tank EmptyFri Nov 18, 2011 10:47 pm

sewerat wrote:
Right now as the bike is new to me and I seem to only know one speed WOT. I am hitting the fuel light at about 95kms on the odo. Not sure how acturate that us as the speedo is out about 20kms at highway speeds. I am going to try the 13 tooth sprocket this weekend and see if much different. I also now have a rotopax so now I don't mind seeing how empty empty is. But with 100kms on odo it takes about 6l fuel.

I get to about 140-ish when the light comes on. That's about 5.5 liters, maybe a bit more, for me. Perhaps not WOT all the time, but certainly not putt-putting either. On gravel or dirt, you can easily see where I've been thumb Stock everything.
Back to top Go down
sewerat

Bigger fuel tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bigger fuel tank   Bigger fuel tank EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 12:13 pm

Well after this weekends ride with it I have decided tha the IMS 3gal will be plenty along with my rotopax. The guys were very acomindating making sure that a gas station was always within just the tanks worth so it made it simple. But I found out that to completely empty I am 105km to low fuel, 135kms to drained then with the rotopax and my fuel can 185 did not turn the light back on.

Still more to do and check to improve the milage but so far I have bumped it up 10kms/tank
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bigger fuel tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bigger fuel tank   Bigger fuel tank Empty

Back to top Go down

Bigger fuel tank
Page 1 of 1