Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Studded Tires or Tire Studs

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Studded Tires or Tire Studs Empty
PostSubject: Studded Tires or Tire Studs   Studded Tires or Tire Studs EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 2:48 pm

I searched and found ZERO results for Tire Studs or Studded Tires.

SHORT STORY:
Has anyone used either Studded Tires, DIY Tire Studs or other, for making winter tires?

LONG STORY:
A co-worker of mine rides his (pedal) road bike with studded skinny tires year round. Which got me thinking, why can't I do that on my WRR? I've got winter jackets and I'll need my riding fix in the Minnesota cold. So I checked online, youtube, etc. and there's a surplus of idiots doing god-knows-what to their tires for winter. I saw a YouTube vid of a guy riding a Huyabusa with fully studded set of track slicks going knee-down in the corners.
Anyways, I bought a 1000-pack of cheapo DIY ice studs $50-$60. I figured they wouldn't last as long as a carbide tipped stud, but I wont be riding long enough to notice them wearing out. I studded my Mitas M16 & M17, off-road tires with approx 70% tread, which I haven't mounted up yet. They're pretty sharp and look promising though. We JUST got snow here in Minneapolis, go figure. I tried to embed them into the knob surface as much as I could, but occasionally, on the really worn knobbies, they punch all the way through, so I had to back them out. I'm curious if on a hard bump, when the knob compresses, if it'll puncture my tube. Guess I'll find out REALLY quick if it does. Shog Anyways, does anyone have any advice, comments, concerns, pictures, etc to add?

Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Studded Tires or Tire Studs   Studded Tires or Tire Studs EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 5:52 pm

The ice screws (which look like sheet metal screws with a V cut into the head) are great for riding on frozen ponds and lakes, but not much good for off-road riding in snow.
I've used these screwed into knobby tires many times for winter ice riding.
Any pavement, rocks, or even frozen ground dulls them quickly.
I wouldn't be surprized if they're dangerous on pavement.

For actual off-road riding on snow-covered ground, the studded tires (which have little spikes sticking out of them) are the way to go, but they're not as good on frozen ponds for ice riding.
Again, they aren't made for pavement or frozen ground.

For riding on plain ol' frozen ground, I use Bridgestine M22/M23 hard terrain knobby tires with no screws or studs of any kind.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Studded Tires or Tire Studs   Studded Tires or Tire Studs EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 9:38 am

Quote :
For riding on plain ol' frozen ground, I use Bridgestine M22/M23 hard terrain knobby tires with no screws or studs of any kind.
bow

I'm primarily looking to ride on-street for now. I'm leaving the office around noon today, so Ill see if I can spoon on the knobbies with the studs. i've got a feeling i'll end up backing the screws out of the tire Rolling Eyes , maybe just keeping the studs on the side knobs and the occasional center (alternating).
Back to top Go down
sturgeon

sturgeon

PostSubject: Re: Studded Tires or Tire Studs   Studded Tires or Tire Studs EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 12:37 pm

Check Aerostich - they sell a couple of different kinds of studs, or at least used to.
Back to top Go down
nesvevey

PostSubject: Re: Studded Tires or Tire Studs   Studded Tires or Tire Studs EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 4:46 am

Just search for studded tires forums and you'll find a lot of sellers online. One of the most essential things you can do in the wintertime to keep your family safe is to get studded wheels for your vehicle. Make sure you spend the money to keep your family as secure as you possibly can.
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

PostSubject: Re: Studded Tires or Tire Studs   Studded Tires or Tire Studs EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 6:53 am

http://www.motorace.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=M&Category_Code=SWT

Saved ya the search,buddy of mine used to make them at this dealer.

I run/race ice tires, only on ice and never on anything without a wrap
Try these http://www.frpoffroad.com/browse.htm?shopBy=-4349&catalogId=-1039

Winter is a great time to be on a bike !

And before i forget Kenda makes a rear that suports a 5/8 screw without a liner
http://kgmotorcycletires.com/kenda_k335_ice_tire.htm
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Studded Tires or Tire Studs   Studded Tires or Tire Studs Empty

Back to top Go down

Studded Tires or Tire Studs
Page 1 of 1