Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Chains and Sprockets

Go down 
+87
xzatx
dicklane625
Casper911
bigchevy73
DSO
wwguy
Pooka
Biglake
mcdoudlehopper
Jens Eskildsen
D.triggs
speersie
gman994
Evol
WolfpackFBNS
beer goggle
beefcakemorris
rsteiger
rvsixer
majordad0806
Counselor
Death ParadoX
thelandman
thunderwagn
pbnut
StreetGhost
msfagnani
MotoKirby
adamoto
AaronWhitt82
Stubbz
Dabo
jdberry
Akasy
supernac
mattf
raven1
jeffpack1957
john92
Mr.Metal
picard
Dark
3KGT_Maddness
PooTeeTat
12oclocker
gregli
yellowredlight
griffin738
dulinor
xcel
Chief_Lee_Visceral
vwsandman
10Cup
ed29
skierd
WRoldman
Navajib
scgmc
greer
ramz
shawngrodz
bash3r
motokid
antipode
Chadx
lancek
wahilde
warriordad
mwakey
YZEtc
Skip
Jäger
Bob
SteveRed
ZED
derm75
dirtytrixx400
BPG
bocaj
drater
Machtig
SheWolf
Krabill
INSTIGATOR
boogn1sh
kvg
YamWOW!
91 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
greer

Chains and Sprockets - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 8 EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 5:02 am

JT sprockets provides about any size you'd want:

http://www.jtsprockets.com/52.0.html?&L=0&sel_uid=6165&p=

You want JTR245.246. I believe Geauga Power Sports carries JT, or you might take a look at Dennis Kirk and oemcycle.

Sarah
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Superlite Sprocket and Chain Combo   Chains and Sprockets - Page 8 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 11:33 pm

I just picked up a superlite Sprocket and chain combo from sprocket center (13/46) with a 112 link 520 x-ring chain. Do I need to lube a brand new chain that came packed in the white lithium grease looking stuff? dunno

Sprocket Center Superlite RK 520 XSO
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 8 EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 6:17 am

I never do, I just go with what it's got for the first ride or two.

Sarah
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 8 EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 9:07 am

So I'm currently running a sprocket center Superlite 520 x-ring 13/46T combo and want a little more pull to get the front end up. I primarily ride 95% street on my WRR. Suggestions?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 8 EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 9:34 am

whitea42 wrote:
So I'm currently running a sprocket center Superlite 520 x-ring 13/46T combo and want a little more pull to get the front end up. I primarily ride 95% street on my WRR. Suggestions?

Smaller front, or bigger rear, or both.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 8 EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 11:53 am

motokid wrote:
Smaller front, or bigger rear, or both.
  • Am I correct that a 12T Front will cause buzzing at higher speeds?
  • Regarding stress on the engine, is there a benefit to (+4) rear vs. (-1) front?
  • Also, by increasing my ratio, has anyone noticed that they spend more/less time shifting? (i.e. Will I be shortening my gears too much?)

Option A: 12/46 = 3.83
Option B: 13/48 = 3.70 (Not Enough Torque?)
Option C: 13/50 = 3.85
Option D: 13/52 = 4.00 eeek :duh:

Last edited by whitea42 on Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added Content...)
Back to top Go down
StreetGhost

StreetGhost

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 8 EmptyMon Feb 20, 2012 4:05 pm

On my WRX, If I do a 13t and 48 combo is that enough for power wheelies in 1,2 3?
Or do I need to go 49-50t.
The kind of riding I do is 90% urban. Steps, jumps ect. I'm looking to be quicker off the line at stop lights. I'm not really concerned with 80mph highway speeds. However I do ride mountain twisties a few times a month.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 8 EmptyMon Feb 20, 2012 4:54 pm

StreetGhost wrote:
On my WRX, If I do a 13t and 48 combo is that enough for power wheelies in 1,2 3?
Or do I need to go 49-50t.

No. No power wheelies with 13-48.

click me <--clicky

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
StreetGhost

StreetGhost

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 8 EmptyMon Feb 20, 2012 6:39 pm

Thanks, I hit this page a few months ago. Good refresher to read. "Clutch It Up" Got it. So what's you take on rear sprocket? Is a 50t too much for my kinda riding ?
Or should I go with the normal 13-48 I see all over this site?
Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 8 EmptySat Mar 17, 2012 11:22 pm

Option 1.

I don't see where it matters too much. You have a shorter wheelbase as a result, but it probably won't even be noticeable.
Back to top Go down
thunderwagn

thunderwagn

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 8 EmptyFri Mar 23, 2012 7:56 am

I've read all through the "chains and sprockets" threads and just wondering...does anyone use standard chain anymore? Most of what I see is oring, xring. What happened to standard chain? I've been outta this for too long baldy I want to change the the stock gearing on my wrr to 13/48. I know I need to go with a 112 link, but the chain options are killing me!
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 8 EmptyFri Mar 23, 2012 8:14 am

Standard chain requires more maintenance.

I asked some here <-- clicky

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
thelandman

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 8 EmptyFri May 25, 2012 9:32 am

Going with a 14/39 combo. a 106 link chain should do it si?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 8 EmptyFri May 25, 2012 10:40 am

thelandman wrote:
Going with a 14/39 combo. a 106 link chain should do it si?

I have no idea what chain length you'd need for that.....by why oh why oh why would you pick that gearing???????????

eeek eeek eeek

dunno dunno

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
thelandman

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 8 EmptyFri May 25, 2012 12:03 pm

Over-drive freeway gear. Can always downshift...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 8 EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 10:56 am

New question for you guys... I bought a set of warp9 wheels and they come with an Aluminum sprocket (your choice in size). My concern is that it doesn't have a rounded or beveled edge. Would it be a bad idea to gently give the sprocket a slight taper or even just break the hard edges with some sand paper?

******UPDATE*******

BEFORE
Chains and Sprockets - Page 8 Photo_17

AFTER SANDING AND SMOOTHING
Chains and Sprockets - Page 8 Photo_18
Back to top Go down
Death ParadoX

Death ParadoX

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 8 EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 2:14 pm

I put 12/42 , 5.2 seconds 0-100km , 171km top speed on flat land , its just perfect! and I do https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFTOrxg_B6w
Back to top Go down
Counselor

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 8 EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 5:02 pm

So my 2013 has 125 miles on it and I want to change the gearing a bit.

I'm going to go 13/48.

Am I right assuming i need:

* this (or similar chain) http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/9/185/33717/ITEM/RK-520-XSO-X-Ring-Chain.aspx?SiteID=SLI|520%20Chain%20112%20Link&WT.MC_ID=10010
* this sprocket (or similar) http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/10/211/6574/DPITEM/Dirt-Bike-Motocross-Rear-Drive-Sprockets-Renthal-520-Ultralight-Off-Road-Rear-Sprocket.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch

Is that all I need?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: WR250X 14/42 then 14/44   Chains and Sprockets - Page 8 EmptyWed Aug 28, 2013 9:28 pm

Hi,

I wanted to modify my gearing to be a bit taller. First, i replace the 13 T sprocket for 14T. I was amazed by the result in the first 4 gears. But on the highway, the 5th gear is too long. And the 6th gear is pretty much useless, way too long. baldy Theres's not enough horsepower at this rpm.  5th and 6th gear are overdrive. It becomes too ... overdrive. At least, the speedometer is now spot on. But top speed is now lower.

Then, i replaced the stock rear sprocket for a 44T. Gearing is a bit longer than stock. But storms today made me wait for tomorrow to test the new gearing on the highway.

The modification is made for a planned trip in a few days. I replaced Distanzia for Avon Roadrider. I guess that i will return with Distanzia after this trip. I'm not impress with Roadrider when riding high speed (for a 250 cc).
Back to top Go down
majordad0806

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 8 EmptyThu Oct 31, 2013 6:12 pm

Read all the gearing posts. Currently running a 13/45 setup with a d606. Ordered a sunstar 47 to get a lower ratio. The sunstar has the tapered bolt config but all anyone has to to do is flip it over and they can use the original bolts as installed on the WR. Might just save you some dollars:wings: 
Back to top Go down
rvsixer

rvsixer

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 8 EmptyThu Oct 31, 2013 6:45 pm

majordad0806 wrote:
The sunstar has the tapered bolt config but all anyone has to to do is flip it over and they can use the original bolts as installed on the WR.
I'd highly recommend against doing this eeek .
Back to top Go down
majordad0806

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 8 EmptyThu Oct 31, 2013 8:13 pm

rvsixer wrote:
majordad0806 wrote:
The sunstar has the tapered bolt config but all anyone has to to do is flip it over and they can use the original bolts as installed on the WR.
Why?
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 8 EmptyFri Nov 01, 2013 6:45 am

Forgot what brand of sprocket I have (running 14/48 now and 13/48 for long knarly rides) but it had the tapered holes and I had no taper bolts the day before a weekend ride. So I flipped it over (sprocket teeth are symmetrical and the sprocket was not offset to one side) and it centered up on the hub with no play.

That was about 5000 miles ago and all is well. Not sure why this would not be an option on a WRR. On my Strom it is not an option since the sprocket is offset to one side.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 8 EmptyFri Nov 01, 2013 11:04 am

majordad0806 wrote:
rvsixer wrote:
majordad0806 wrote:
Why?

I'm guessing this is something of a carry-over concern from more powerful bikes.

A tapered hole without a tapered bolt could elongate or possibly even sheer the bolt.

Softer metal sprockets like aluminum with tapered holes ,then flipped over and using straight steel bolts, might have the hole elongation issues in the sprocket over time.

I doubt our little 25hp 250's have enough grunt to cause issues, but generally speaking you'd be "safest" to use tapered bolts with tapered holes, and straight bolts with straight holes.

As a temporary solution, I doubt it's a problem. Long term... for piece-of-mind...I'd want the bolts that are designed for my sprocket.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
majordad0806

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 8 EmptyFri Nov 01, 2013 12:08 pm

From an engineering standpoint I agree.  Big torque monsters would need more surface for the bolts for extra holding power
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 8 Empty

Back to top Go down

Chains and Sprockets
Page 8 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next