Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Chains and Sprockets

Go down 
+87
xzatx
dicklane625
Casper911
bigchevy73
DSO
wwguy
Pooka
Biglake
mcdoudlehopper
Jens Eskildsen
D.triggs
speersie
gman994
Evol
WolfpackFBNS
beer goggle
beefcakemorris
rsteiger
rvsixer
majordad0806
Counselor
Death ParadoX
thelandman
thunderwagn
pbnut
StreetGhost
msfagnani
MotoKirby
adamoto
AaronWhitt82
Stubbz
Dabo
jdberry
Akasy
supernac
mattf
raven1
jeffpack1957
john92
Mr.Metal
picard
Dark
3KGT_Maddness
PooTeeTat
12oclocker
gregli
yellowredlight
griffin738
dulinor
xcel
Chief_Lee_Visceral
vwsandman
10Cup
ed29
skierd
WRoldman
Navajib
scgmc
greer
ramz
shawngrodz
bash3r
motokid
antipode
Chadx
lancek
wahilde
warriordad
mwakey
YZEtc
Skip
Jäger
Bob
SteveRed
ZED
derm75
dirtytrixx400
BPG
bocaj
drater
Machtig
SheWolf
Krabill
INSTIGATOR
boogn1sh
kvg
YamWOW!
91 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
AuthorMessage
Jens Eskildsen

Chains and Sprockets - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 11 EmptyTue Mar 28, 2017 4:17 pm

If you choose a length of chain where the adjusters are near the middle, you will have no problem fitting -1 tooth front sprocket.

I do it all the time.

I have a sandman casesaver and cover, theres some slight rubbing with a 14 tooth, but no problem. Dont know about the stock one.
Back to top Go down
dicklane625

dicklane625

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 11 EmptyWed Apr 05, 2017 4:20 pm

I just did 13/47 with a 112 link chain. I'm guessing 112 will fit the 14/51 combo... On mine the rear tire sits a little less than 3/4s of the way back in the adjuster. You could use gearing commander as a reference. They break everything down nicely. Top speed for every gear. That site will let you know if your gearin will cause unnecessary wear too. Like me throwin a 12t on the front with a stock 108 link chain is technically bad cause the same front teeth hits the same chain link every time... This is easy enough to figure out on your own too. Say if you do 112 with the 14 front you will have the same issue. 112/14=8. So when the front sprocket goes around eight times the chain has gone around once and is back on the same tooth same link as it started. Don't know how much longer you can run a system that's phased properly but they say it matters. The only other advice n this maybe wrong, but is my understanding of how it works... You should change how you tighten the chain. Doin it by the book it should be able to pushed to around 5/8" away from the swingarm. If you make both diameters that the chain goes around bigger this technically should get bigger too. If you were measuring the slack movement from top to bottom I don't think it would change but your supposed to measure to the swingarm... Theres a chard here that makes sense of this. https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t2022-chain-adjustment
Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 11 EmptyThu Apr 06, 2017 2:04 pm

dicklane625 wrote:
I just did 13/47 with a 112 link chain. I'm guessing 112 will fit the 14/51 combo...

I run 13/51 with 112 links and it's at the far end of adjustment range.  Not sure I could get this to work with a 14 tooth countersprocket, especially since I run a riveted master link which requires a little wiggle room to get the chain on or off of the rear sprocket.

Chains and Sprockets - Page 11 Sprock10
Back to top Go down
xzatx

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 11 EmptyThu Sep 28, 2017 4:06 pm

looking to get a 12T sprocket with my standard 43 rear

what is the different between countershaft sprocket, and standard?

Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 11 EmptyFri Sep 29, 2017 1:23 pm

1 tooth. Stock is 13.
1 out of 13 is roughly 8%.
Back to top Go down
motonakul

motonakul

PostSubject: Why gear down?   Chains and Sprockets - Page 11 EmptyTue Nov 26, 2019 7:12 pm

I recently got myself a 2009 WR250R and the previous owner had geared down from stock to 13/49. Not having ridden the WR in stock form I have a question which I hope someone could answer for me about "gearing down the WR".

I have read on different articles and forums about gearing down the WR250R to make it more rideable on the highway and out of the trails. I understand the part of the trail being easier with gearing down so slow speed crawls without the inconvenience of multiple stalls as compared to stock.

What baffles me is how does it make it more rideable on the highway, for gearing down means lower top speed which translates to higher RPMs.

My WR is mostly used for commute purposes and the weekend trails when I find them (Auckland doesn't have too many open to motorcycles) and I notice I am probably riding at least 1500-2000rpm higher (as per stats from the gearingcommander website) at a 100kmph as against what a stock bike would do.

So why do people say it is more rideable on the highway geared down? How bad is the stock ratio in slow-speed traffic and crawling trails?
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 11 EmptyWed Nov 27, 2019 6:46 am

motonakul wrote:

What baffles me is how does it make it more rideable on the highway, for gearing down means lower top speed which translates to higher RPMs.

The short answer is that the taller gearing the WR250R comes stock with is a case of being over geared (geared too tall for best performance).

Here's what I believe:

The reason the WR250R comes with the sprocket sizes it does is for one reason:
Get the bike to pass required noise regulations.
With sprockets?
Yes.
The bike has to be able to pass a drive-by noise test during testing before it's put into production on the assembly line at the Yamaha factory.
This test is conducted by having the bike drive by the noise measuring equipment at a certain speed in a certain gear.
If you gear the bike so tall that it's turning ridiculously low RPM during the drive-by sound test, it will make less noise.

That's the concept.

That's why it comes over geared for best performance - the sprocket sizes used to pass the sound test are what's used in the production of the bike at the factory.
Same for many, many, many (if not all) street-legal bikes.
That's why a new Yamaha YZF-R1 comes geared so tall, you can break the National speed limit in first gear.
By a lot.

So, to at least some riders, they eventually realize that actually gearing it down to something more realistic for the 250cc engine actually performs better for them in most conditions.
The stock gearing is so tall, some riders report that sixth gear is usable when the road is flat and no headwind.
Sure, the bike will turn more RPM with lower gearing, but there is a sweet spot between too low and too high of RPM.
If you do a lot of highway and cringe at the engine turning more RPM, leave it.

On my own WR250R, I used 12/47 sprockets, riding a mix of street and trails.
On my WR250X, I ran 13/49 sprockets, all street use.

Last edited by YZEtc on Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 11 EmptyWed Nov 27, 2019 3:46 pm

You can add a 14 up front to cut the difference between what you have now, and stock, in half.
Its 15 bucks, see how you like it.

I also find that 13/49 is too low for sustained high speed, so I mostly run a 14 up front. And have also used stock gearing, which I never had trouble pulling with a little powermods.

I kinda change my gearing alot, as I use the bike for both enduro, and out of the country trips where I need to cover some distance.
Back to top Go down
motonakul

motonakul

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 11 EmptyWed Nov 27, 2019 5:44 pm

YZEtc wrote:

The stock gearing is so tall, some riders report that sixth gear is usable when the road is flat and no headwind.

So stock gearing isn't ideal for New Zealand where our roads are not always flat & windspeeds are decently up there though out the year!

Might have to look at other options of gearing combos. I was think 13/45 or 13/47 which may be better than 13/49 for the highway which is the majority of my commute.
Back to top Go down
motonakul

motonakul

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 11 EmptyWed Nov 27, 2019 5:48 pm

Jens Eskildsen wrote:
You can add a 14 up front to cut the difference between what you have now, and stock, in half.
Its 15 bucks, see how you like it.

14 upfront pretty much means I need to pull out the front stock chain/case saver since a bigger sprocket will definitely eat up the plastics.

Do you have another alternative case saver you are using? Sandman Parts are probably the best way to go, but don't see shipping rates making it feasible to send shipping across continents.
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 11 EmptyThu Nov 28, 2019 2:19 pm

I used a sandman, and got it shipped to europe. Theres others who make something similar.
Dont know how the stock one fits, but you might be able to modifi it a bit. But i dont think it will protect the engine much anyway.

If your tensioner blocks are pretty forward, you might be able to fit a rear sprocket with 2-3 teeth less. That will get the rpms down by around 400-600 rpm in 6th gear. Or else you could cut out a couple links, and fit a new rear.

Different sizes rear tires also play a huge role in the final drive gearing.
A taller tire with a 14/49 combo, might be the same as a different tire with a 14/47 gearing.
So play with it a bit, and see what you like.
Back to top Go down
Shaun_NS

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 11 EmptyMon May 04, 2020 2:10 pm

Hello,

Anyone try 13/49?
Back to top Go down
kingstyle

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 11 EmptyThu Sep 07, 2023 6:53 pm

Hello, I'm looking for a gear ratio for a good mix of enduro and road riding. I live in Germany and am looking for a gear ratio with a good top speed, ideally around 130 km/h and good off-road drivability. I don't do anything extreme with the WRR, but I have to travel 50km to the training area. Are there any recommendations? Thank you and best regards!!!
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 11 EmptyFri Sep 08, 2023 11:31 am

kingstyle wrote:
I live in Germany and am looking for a gear ratio with a good top speed, ideally around 130 km/h and good off-road drivability.

Do you just need a top speed of 130 km/h, meaning you only hit that number occasionally, or do you need to maintain that speed for a prolonged period of time? The former is doable with a 14/48 combination: you can maintain 120 km/h at about 8200 RPM, hit 130 km/h at about 9000 RPM every now and then, and you get usable off-road gearing.

The latter though would be tough: with a 14/48 combination 130 km/h comes at 9000 RPM, which is not a comfortable range. Even with stock gearing you would need to be at about 8600 RPM for 130 km/h, and that gearing is a bit too long for off-roading.

kingstyle likes this post

Back to top Go down
kingstyle

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 11 EmptySat Sep 09, 2023 11:06 am

johnkol wrote:
kingstyle wrote:
I live in Germany and am looking for a gear ratio with a good top speed, ideally around 130 km/h and good off-road drivability.

Do you just need a top speed of 130 km/h, meaning you only hit that number occasionally, or do you need to maintain that speed for a prolonged period of time? The former is doable with a 14/48 combination: you can maintain 120 km/h at about 8200 RPM, hit 130 km/h at about 9000 RPM every now and then, and you get usable off-road gearing.

The latter though would be tough: with a 14/48 combination 130 km/h comes at 9000 RPM, which is not a comfortable range. Even with stock gearing you would need to be at about 8600 RPM for 130 km/h, and that gearing is a bit too long for off-roading.

Thanks for the answer! The description fits quite well, a constant speed of 100-120km/h on the country road is ideal. For overtaking, speeds of up to 130 km/h (which can be achieved without a 5 km run-up) are almost ideal. One question for the budget, is there also a similar gearing with the original 13 sprocket at the front and original chain?
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 11 EmptySat Sep 09, 2023 12:47 pm

kingstyle wrote:
One question for the budget, is there also a  similar gearing with the original 13 sprocket at the front and original chain?
A 13/45 combination is the one that comes closest to the 14/48. You may be able to use the same chain, depends on how much slack you have available now.
Back to top Go down
kingstyle

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 11 EmptySun Sep 10, 2023 3:35 am

johnkol wrote:
kingstyle wrote:

One more question, are the stated speeds real?
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 11 EmptySun Sep 10, 2023 1:41 pm

kingstyle wrote:
One more question, are the stated speeds real?

Which stated speeds are you referring to? The ones I mentioned are GPS speeds, so the speedometer will show about 5% more. Don't forget that if you change the gearing, both odometer and speedometer will be off, so if you want to keep correct mileage you will need to get a speedo healer.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 11 EmptyTue Sep 12, 2023 12:52 pm

Here's your options, available elsewhere here. If you want the possible speeds with each combination, Gearing Commander will help you with that if you supply your tire size as well. (Speed is what a GPS tells you it actually is; the odometer/speedometer isn't particularly accurate even with the bike in stock trim).

STOCK:
13/43 = 3.31

CHAIN/SPROCKET OPTIONS
110 Link:
12/43 = 3.58
12/46 = 3.83

13/45 = 3.46
13/46 = 3.54
13/47 = 3.62

14/46 = 3.29
14/47 = 3.36

112 Link: