Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

KTM convert ready to downsize

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
migrant

KTM convert ready to downsize Empty
PostSubject: KTM convert ready to downsize   KTM convert ready to downsize EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 10:21 pm

Hello to all, I'm recovering from a broken heart after my 690 Enduro engine failed. As the saying goes, "once bitten, twice shy", so I put the "basket case" up for sale and won't be buying another orange bike any time soon. My yearly ride to the Rockies has been on bikes such as BMW RTs, GSs KLR650, and the KTM690. I've been fascinated with the idea of long distant riding on a smaller platform, and the WR250R seems up to the task. OK, the seat and gas tank may have to be changed, but the subframe is stout enough to take a load, the gearing is right, and riding position is great for me. I've got a Britannia Lynx with HID low beam and the Giant Loop bags ready to go.
Really, the only question seems to be New or Used???
The bike's been out since '08. A few have had fuel pump failures, is this throughout all production years, or limited to '08 or ???

Looking forward to developing a new mindset that comes with less power but more agility and, most of all, MORE RELIABILITY.
Back to top Go down
bruno

bruno

PostSubject: welcome   KTM convert ready to downsize EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 11:29 pm

I keep lusting after a KTM 690. But, I keep hearing the same story as you relate, was it really that bad ? GAHHHH
Back to top Go down
migrant

PostSubject: Re: KTM convert ready to downsize   KTM convert ready to downsize EmptyTue Dec 06, 2011 12:05 am

It was a rare failure, only aware of 2 others like it. The balls from the bearing were flying around and damaged things to the tune of ~3k in parts. Loved the bike, just not going down that path again. There are many owners without any problems, so don't base your decision on my story.
Back to top Go down
Delta_T

Delta_T

PostSubject: Re: KTM convert ready to downsize   KTM convert ready to downsize EmptyTue Dec 06, 2011 1:42 am

Quote :
... is this throughout all production years, or limited to '08 or ???

There is a Japanese service bulletin that mentions the (well documented) fuel pump failure. It states that 4.125 units are affected. You can check the vin of a bike to see. I think that most these fuel pumps are probably already replaced, but there is no way of telling if that is the case.
It only mentions '08 bikes. Later years are problem free. (correct me if I'm wrong)
The failure is apparantly heat related.

BK-DG15J
WR250R WR250X
DG15J-000089 ~ DG15J-004274
November 28, 2008 - October 16, 2007
4,125 units

The service bulletin is to be found here.

My WR is an '08. I don't know if the pump has been replaced but it seems to work fine so I am not going to worry about it.
Replacing the pump is not a big deal especially if you are planning on replacing the tank for a bigger one (Safari of IMS). A new pump will cost you around $250.

You are right, the seat is like a log, but there is a solution

They are tough little bikes, well built. I love them.

New or used is more a question of budget then anything else. Good luck and keep us posted. thumb
Back to top Go down
migrant

PostSubject: Re: KTM convert ready to downsize   KTM convert ready to downsize EmptyWed Dec 14, 2011 12:13 am

Going for a 2010 low-mile bike, completely stock. I like the riding position. Only small bike I've been on that feels like it fits me. I've got a Britannia fairing that I'll mount at some point, but want to see how it feels before I do anything. Making a list of things I may buy...bigger tank, skid plate, hand guards, bar risers, seat.

Tank: looking for 200 mile range. From what I've read, the 3 gallon IMS may not do it, maybe the Safari
Skid plate: Ricochet
Hand guards: HDB with mirrors?
Risers: not sure
Seat: Waiting on a Sargent to arrive in the mail

I'll follow some of the mods on this site, open up the air-way and see if the stock exhaust will cut it. Different mind set from riding the 690, but I should be able to adapt.

Back to top Go down
migrant

PostSubject: Re: KTM convert ready to downsize   KTM convert ready to downsize EmptySat Jan 07, 2012 10:24 pm

Picked it up today. Gonna see what mileage I get and then pick a larger tank.

KTM convert ready to downsize 1fe0368c
Back to top Go down
weeman pike

PostSubject: Re: KTM convert ready to downsize   KTM convert ready to downsize EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 1:17 am

you won't be disappointed. i also moved from a KTM 690 E over to the WRR last month. although the WRR obviously doesn't have the power of the 690 (all power all the time), I have yet to not be able to go anywhere I have wanted out here in SOCAL - be it desert, hills, single track, etc. My bud and i even had to run back on the interstate of all things yesterday b/c his 950 was acting up 60 miles from home. The lil blue beast held 75-80 on the interstate no problem. obviously not the kind of riding we were hoping for, but it did it...and did it well. With the extra money I had from selling the KTM and buying my WRR - I was able to do the initial popular mods that it appears most guys do right out of the gate. Anyway...I am REALLY pleased with the bike and completely understand why it's getting such a great following and strong support. Feels light (even with the bigger tank) and has plenty of power while in the dirt. As HF and guys reviewed the bike over on WRR Dual Sport, get the little beast revved up in its power band it is rips. light and very controllable at slower speeds as well - important to a 165# wee-man like myself. all in all....VERY fun little ride.
Back to top Go down
migrant

PostSubject: Re: KTM convert ready to downsize   KTM convert ready to downsize EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 7:10 pm

After putting on 1300 miles, I'm getting used to the bike. No longer have to worry about running out of gas with my IMS tank. The lack of horsepower is missed at times, but the improved off road feel is a plus. I took about 7/8" out of the sag for my 225#.

KTM convert ready to downsize 85a599fd
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: KTM convert ready to downsize   KTM convert ready to downsize Empty

Back to top Go down

KTM convert ready to downsize
Page 1 of 1