Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Wheel Offset?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
derm75

Wheel Offset? Empty
PostSubject: Wheel Offset?   Wheel Offset? EmptyWed Jun 10, 2009 12:05 am

I ordered a set of off-road wheels for my X from Wheeling Cycle Supply a few weeks ago. They arrived last week and I dropped them off at Woody's Wheel Works to have the tires mounted. I've mounted tires in the past but felt like having someone else do them this time. The guy behind the counter knows what kind of bike they are for before I even open my mouth, which has me feeling like these guys know their stuff. For those of you who haven't heard of Woody's, they are here in Denver and have a good rep as wheelbuilders. I get a call from one of the guys there (can't remember his name, but he owns an X himself), saying that the offset appears to be wrong on the front wheel and they would like me to bring in my X front wheel so they can measure. I bring in the wheel and he tells me that the new rim is 1/4" off to one side ( I don't remember which). They end up disassembling the front and swapping some of the spokes around to achieve the proper offset. Now I have the wheels at home on the bike and it appears that the front rim is approximately 1/4" closer to the forks on the non-drive side. Is the rim supposed to be perfectly centered between the forks? It doesn't rub anywhere. This cost me an extra $100 on a brand new wheel. Did Wheeling mess up? Did Woody's screw me? I do feel like the front brake performance is somewhat worse now with the new wheels, but I was going to post that as a separate topic... baldy

Jeremy
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Wheel Offset? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wheel Offset?   Wheel Offset? EmptyWed Jun 10, 2009 12:11 am

The wheel should be centered. I'd give Forrest a dingle and let him know what happened. There might have been a mixup in shipping; I have 2 Q4's coming and I only ordered one, so shit can happen. dunno

ZED

Wheel Offset? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wheel Offset?   Wheel Offset? EmptyWed Jun 10, 2009 1:05 am

The forks on the bike are centered. The wheel should be as well.

Woody's does have a good reputation, but it sounds to me like Woody's messed up.

Bummer to hear about a possible issue with Wheeling too. I've heard a couple of stories of isssues where all the facts aren't known. nothing definite, but concerning. From the looks and comments from Forrest on line, it seems like it should be a good place to get some things.

Hopefully it turns out OK in the end and you get some good wheels. Two sets of wheels for the WR would be awesome. Good luck. thumb
Back to top Go down
Chrispy1200

Chrispy1200

Wheel Offset? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wheel Offset?   Wheel Offset? EmptySun Jul 19, 2009 1:41 pm

Jeremy, sent you a PM. thumb
Back to top Go down
john92

Wheel Offset? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wheel Offset?   Wheel Offset? EmptyTue Nov 10, 2009 4:36 pm

I know this thread is a little old, But since I made this mistake onceWheel Offset? 9356, Just making sure everyone realizes that the spacers for left and right on the front are NOT the same width. I have a nice groove worn in the side of my caliper body from that little brain-fart. I noticed my wheel offset looked funny but unfortunitely didn't catch it immediately.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Wheel Offset? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wheel Offset?   Wheel Offset? Empty

Back to top Go down

Wheel Offset?
Page 1 of 1