Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

how long does an Athena bb do its job

Go down 
+4
mattf
sunsetsuperman
BuilderBob
germanwr250r
8 posters
AuthorMessage
germanwr250r

how long does an Athena bb do its job Empty
PostSubject: how long does an Athena bb do its job   how long does an Athena bb do its job EmptySat Dec 17, 2011 7:25 am

How long does an Athena bb kit do its job? I had ordered a ki for 520€ (nice price i thought). When the kit cames i wondered: compression 12,5:1, change gaskets every 15h! They send me the kit for the yz250f (it don't fits), and have no one for our bikes. Now i heared that the kit for the wr250r has a compression of 12,7:1!!! What is with our kit-change thumper, gaskets every 15h, too?

Could i take the oem cylinderhead- gasket to minimize the compression? I am afraid that my bike gets too hot with 12,7:1!?

The right kit costs 770€(parts only)- a lot of money to install something that needs more service than the whole bike...

Don't know what to do: buy or not!?

How many km or miles have you run with your big bore before something gets destroyed. Do you have to check the valves more often??? Or change oil??? Does the clutch do its job already??
My Yam.-dealer said that the bb- kits aren't as good as oem-cylinder...
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

PostSubject: Re: how long does an Athena bb do its job   how long does an Athena bb do its job EmptySat Dec 17, 2011 9:51 am

I have the Athena kit installed on my X. It is fairly well accepted that the manufacturer's recommendation of major maintenance every 15 hours is a "cover your ass" statement by the manufacturer.

I have probably put about 1,000 miles on my kit since installation. No performance issues, no excessive oil usage. Just more usable power.

There are others who have put way more miles on their Athena kits than me and are having no problems. Maybe they'll chime in.
Back to top Go down
sunsetsuperman

sunsetsuperman

PostSubject: Re: how long does an Athena bb do its job   how long does an Athena bb do its job EmptySun Dec 18, 2011 10:36 pm

just like all the experts say ,, preventive Maintenance ,, keep that in mind , and always fix it right then !

....... preventive Maintenance is my job i find it b4 it breaks ............

not to say the tweaking ( and she'll have fun , fun , fun till her daddy takes the t-bird away ) * sings *

Back to top Go down
germanwr250r

PostSubject: Re: how long does an Athena bb do its job   how long does an Athena bb do its job EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 3:27 am

Don't understand the last sen.. Maintanance bfore something broke-okay. But to change or check the thumper every 15h??? Must be a joke... Friends check there camshafts and valves every 15h- at there 450f. The Thumper must hold min 100h...
Back to top Go down
mattf

PostSubject: Re: how long does an Athena bb do its job   how long does an Athena bb do its job EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 7:46 pm

I'm over 5000 miles on mine at this point and it's as strong as the day it was put in.
Back to top Go down
swimmer

PostSubject: Re: how long does an Athena bb do its job   how long does an Athena bb do its job EmptyWed Dec 11, 2013 12:55 pm

Bumping for any new/updated info on long term use of the Athena kit...
Back to top Go down
mattf

PostSubject: Re: how long does an Athena bb do its job   how long does an Athena bb do its job EmptyWed Dec 11, 2013 1:55 pm

My Athena BB kit had about 8500 miles on it when I sold my bike. It was still going strong when I sold it.
Back to top Go down
chuckP

PostSubject: Re: how long does an Athena bb do its job   how long does an Athena bb do its job EmptyThu Dec 12, 2013 7:33 am

I have about 15k on mine. Power is still there but it consumes oil like a mofo
Back to top Go down
Monkeynuts

PostSubject: Re: how long does an Athena bb do its job   how long does an Athena bb do its job EmptyThu Dec 12, 2013 5:17 pm

Iv just got my BB kit installed with a 3 ring piston ! Just playing with the AI programmer to try and find the right settings. The Athena unit gives a small bog now and again when letting off and then powering back up. But the bike goes like hell with the Athena programmer. And good settings for the AI unit ?
Back to top Go down
miniceptor86

PostSubject: Re: how long does an Athena bb do its job   how long does an Athena bb do its job EmptyFri Mar 10, 2017 2:07 pm

As an update to this old thread, I now have close to 13K miles on the Athena big bore, original as supplied piston and rings. No oil usage, no blow by.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: how long does an Athena bb do its job   how long does an Athena bb do its job Empty

Back to top Go down

how long does an Athena bb do its job
Page 1 of 1