Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

A nice Christmas surprise

Go down 
+10
dtx
ejfranz1
sturgeon
malibu_dan
skierd
gatorfan
blueridge72
SheWolf
GusinCA
syspig
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
syspig

A nice Christmas surprise Empty
PostSubject: A nice Christmas surprise   A nice Christmas surprise EmptySun Dec 25, 2011 4:46 pm

I've been slowly beating down my wife over the couple of years, begging for permission to buy a WRR. Been with her for 35 years - it's a game we've both gotten good at, and quite frankly, kind of enjoy. She just couldn't understand why I'd want another bike in addition to my KLR - "why do you need more than one bike" is the response I've been trying to overcome. Permission would have been granted long ago, if I sold the KLR - but it serves a purpose the WRR never could.

I thought I was making progress...I got her into riding last year, picking up an old beater XT225 for her to learn on. She took her class, and really likes it - but she still wasn't budging completely on my multiple bike request.

Turns out...she just might be a little more devious and clever than I'd given her credit for. In an envelope under the tree this morning, was my WRR...so to speak. She chatted with our local dealer, whose ear I have been bending for the last year. He knew exactly which bike I wanted, and offered it up to her at a discount.

Now...the "problem" - we're in a somewhat remote area, and our local dealer doesn't have the inventory and traffic to match the lowest prices out there. Still - he's a great guy, provides fantastic service, and I don't mind paying somewhat of a premium to support him. However, the only new WRR he has is an '08 - and his discounted price is only $6K. Not a great deal by any means...best I've seen within a day's drive was $5700 earlier this year, but that was for a 2010. It went fast.

He's been sitting on this bike for at least 2 years, so maybe he's motivated to sell it for a little less. Still, everything I've read here and elsewhere says there's no significant difference between any of the years - correct?

Regardless, the green light has been given, and I'll have one soon one way or another. Been lurking here for the last couple of years - looking forward to participating more once bike is in hand.
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: A nice Christmas surprise   A nice Christmas surprise EmptySun Dec 25, 2011 5:01 pm

That seems like an awful lot for an 08, even if there are no differences besides plastic colors...
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: A nice Christmas surprise   A nice Christmas surprise EmptySun Dec 25, 2011 6:06 pm

Yeah that is kinda high for an 08, considering he's been sitting on it that long. He obviously doesn't want to sell it that bad or his price would reflect that. dunno Keep your eyes open for others; there have been some really good deals on low milers out there that have had some (or none) mods done to them and are in pristine condition. thumb

PostSubject: Re: A nice Christmas surprise   A nice Christmas surprise EmptySun Dec 25, 2011 10:34 pm

Don't know if you would consider a used one, but here's how I found mine. Type "wr250r site:*craigslist.org" into google. (without the quotation marks) That brings up the related craigslist listings for the entire nation. I did a quick check every day or so untill one close enough to me popped up. I then rented a van and drove a couple hours to pick it up, but it was no big deal.

John

Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: A nice Christmas surprise   A nice Christmas surprise EmptySun Dec 25, 2011 10:35 pm

It's high.

Besides that .... "wife's permission". Come on dude ... grab your balls.
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: A nice Christmas surprise   A nice Christmas surprise EmptySun Dec 25, 2011 10:41 pm

Where do you live? $6000 OTD I assume since they were under $6k in '08?

Even though I'm a bit of a sucker who doesn't mind overpaying a little to avoid the hassle of getting the bottom dollar price along with keeping a small local dealer in business, here's no way I'd pay that much for a 3 year old leftover bike... I paid nearly $1000 less for my leftover '08 in Jan '10 with the extended warranty OTD... invoice was something like $5200.

Go to the dealer, and offer $5000OTD with the YES warranty (espcially if you plan to ride a lot and you should...) and see if he bites. Otherwise keep looking. And don't be afraid to sell that KLR as she won't be getting much use anymore after you get the WR250R. thumb
Back to top Go down
syspig

PostSubject: Re: A nice Christmas surprise   A nice Christmas surprise EmptySun Dec 25, 2011 11:37 pm

I'm aware $6K is way too much for this bike - no way I'd pay that. I'll likely offer him $5K, but doubt he'll take it.

gatorfan wrote:
Besides that .... "wife's permission". Come on dude ... grab your balls.

It's all part of the game...ain't ashamed to admit it. She's just doing her best to make sure I'm not spending wads of cash on impulse items, only to have them sit unused after a few months - something I've a history of. Tell you what - after you've been with somebody for 35 years who still feels like a highschool sweetheart, I'll listen to relationship advice. Until then - I'll thank my lucky stars I'm one of the fortunate few who still digs his wife after all these years... wink

skierd wrote:
Where do you live?

West of Port Angeles, WA. Dealer is PA Power in Port Angeles. Based on prices I've seen to the east, I could save maybe $500 over at one of the Seattle/Tacoma dealers on a 2010/2011- but that takes a day out of my life and $100 in gas, so at that point I might as well shop nationwide and get one shipped for even less.

skierd wrote:
And don't be afraid to sell that KLR as she won't be getting much use anymore after you get the WR250R. thumb

Heh...no doubt the WRR will get used more locally for day rides, maybe even some local overnighters. But, there's no way I'm riding a WRR cross country, to AK or Baja - all of which are in my future.

RE used - I'm just not very trustful of sellers to have done proper break in and maintenance, and I tend to hang on to things for a looooong time. I don't want somebody else's impatience or irresponsibility to show itself down the road...and I'm willing to pay a premium, to ensure things were done right from the start. I've seen a handful of WRR's that have crazy low miles on them...I'd be comfortable getting one of these, but they seem to be far and few between.

Regardless, I'm now officially on the hunt...I'm sure there will be something in the garage soon.

Thanks for all the advice.
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: A nice Christmas surprise   A nice Christmas surprise EmptyMon Dec 26, 2011 1:04 am

I agree 100% on new over used, both of my WRR's have been new. I bought local for more money because it was worth it to me to be able to ride my new bikes home and not lose an entire day to work, travel, transport, or haggling. First one was stolen with 17k, second just crossed 30k earlier today. Most of that mileage was commuting, but a bunch, in the form of a pair of 6600 mile trips, were long distance travel. First trip was the Blue Ridge Parkway and TAT through to Salida, Co, the second was a ride down the coast to Key West, then up to Tulsa, OK before returning home to Baltimore. The WRR will do the long distance pack mule routine just fine. thumb

Good luck, and congrats on the long marriage! We should all be so lucky...
Back to top Go down
malibu_dan

malibu_dan

PostSubject: Re: A nice Christmas surprise   A nice Christmas surprise EmptyMon Dec 26, 2011 2:08 am

Paid $4700 +tax, tag, etc for my '08 in 2009... YMMV.
Back to top Go down
sturgeon

sturgeon

PostSubject: Re: A nice Christmas surprise   A nice Christmas surprise EmptyMon Dec 26, 2011 10:04 am

syspig wrote:

It's all part of the game...ain't ashamed to admit it. She's just doing her best to make sure I'm not spending wads of cash on impulse items, only to have them sit unused after a few months - something I've a history of. Tell you what - after you've been with somebody for 35 years who still feels like a highschool sweetheart, I'll listen to relationship advice. Until then - I'll thank my lucky stars I'm one of the fortunate few who still digs his wife after all these years... wink

thumb thumb

I'm with ya on that one! Nothin' wrong with playing that game. Mine says stuff like, "Tell me again why you need 3 bikes???". My answer is of course, "small, medium, large".

No idea what I'll come up with when I "need" a 4th poser2

She'd never dream of giving me an outright NO, any more than I would to her. But she sure is a good reality check. We each have our own interests and do our own things, but we're also almost pretty much inseperable. Sometimes my pals poke fun, but they're usually just jealous, especially the single ones.
Back to top Go down
malibu_dan

malibu_dan

PostSubject: Re: A nice Christmas surprise   A nice Christmas surprise EmptyMon Dec 26, 2011 1:45 pm

syspig wrote:
Tell you what - after you've been with somebody for 35 years who still feels like a highschool sweetheart, I'll listen to relationship advice. Until then - I'll thank my lucky stars I'm one of the fortunate few who still digs his wife after all these years... A nice Christmas surprise 810411

+1 I love her more today, than I did 25 years ago (my wife, not yours) Rolling Eyes

sturgeon wrote:

I'm with ya on that one! Nothin' wrong with playing that game. Mine says stuff like, "Tell me again why you need 3 bikes???". My answer is of course, "small, medium, large".

I love this one. Gonna borrow it and see if it works...
Back to top Go down
syspig

PostSubject: Re: A nice Christmas surprise   A nice Christmas surprise EmptyMon Dec 26, 2011 2:25 pm

sturgeon wrote:
No idea what I'll come up with when I "need" a 4th poser2

Oh, that's easy...you buy one for "her".

Worked for my favorite shotgun a few years ago... Very happy
Back to top Go down
ejfranz1

ejfranz1

PostSubject: A nice Christmas surprise   A nice Christmas surprise EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 9:46 pm

Congrats - Keep searching until you find a good price.
You also need to work on your game.
I have 5 with the WR being my latest but sadly have run out of room, so I will need to sell 1 or 2.
Back to top Go down
syspig

PostSubject: Re: A nice Christmas surprise   A nice Christmas surprise EmptyThu Dec 29, 2011 3:57 pm

Well...I decided to give up on new. As many of you have mentioned, there are simply far too many great used opportunities out there. Finalizing my decision, was discovering none of the dealers I've contacted are offering up significant savings on new. Best I can find anywhere between SF and Seattle, is a "maybe" price of $5500 on a 2010. Dealer wouldn't commit to it in writing even if I gave a credit card deposit over the phone, and given they've not got the greatest online reviews I'm not gonna waste my time driving 3+ hours to get hosed. Most dealers aren't budging lower than $5700. Local guy is higher still on the '08.

I think I've got a real peach lined up - likely picking it up this weekend if a deal can be struck. It's not the cheapest I've found - but it's still far less than new, has a ton of quality upgrades, excellent maintenance records and low miles.

Also, for anyone currently looking in WA State - this one up in Sedro Wooley sounds like another great deal. I spoke with the owner at length, and would have driven over to see it - but he's out of town, and won't be back until I've head back south to CA. Sounded like a very standup guy, who did some quality mods and is pretty particular about maintenance.

Here's to hoping I've got some nice pics to share in a few days - thanks again for all the advice.
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

PostSubject: Re: A nice Christmas surprise   A nice Christmas surprise EmptyThu Dec 29, 2011 7:45 pm

The whole game thing is lost on me. We have 14 bikes,two sleds,4 wheeler and more guns than we can count,if it makes one of us happy we just get it. 23 years and we still dont ask. Now the last 3 bikes and 2 guns are hers so i got some catching up to do.
Warning,if you get you other half involved in your hobbies your going to need more space to put everything.Just had to put our ice bike into the dog kennel !
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: A nice Christmas surprise   A nice Christmas surprise EmptyThu Dec 29, 2011 7:59 pm

Is this a motorcycle forum or Dr. Phil's web site?
Back to top Go down
Heoz

PostSubject: Re: A nice Christmas surprise   A nice Christmas surprise EmptyThu Dec 29, 2011 8:01 pm

dtx wrote:
The whole game thing is lost on me.

i got some catching up to do.
Sounds like you are playing a game Very happy
Back to top Go down
syspig

PostSubject: Re: A nice Christmas surprise   A nice Christmas surprise EmptyThu Dec 29, 2011 8:08 pm

gatorfan wrote:
Is this a motorcycle forum or Dr. Phil's web site?

Hey...don't be bashin' the doc. Some of us need his help.

A nice Christmas surprise DnHqO
Back to top Go down
Heoz

PostSubject: Re: A nice Christmas surprise   A nice Christmas surprise EmptyThu Dec 29, 2011 9:01 pm

syspig wrote:

Hey...don't be bashin' the doc. Some of us need his help.

A nice Christmas surprise DnHqO

You responded way too fast with that picture. C'mon, out with it - you probably have that picture as your desktop background just waiting for the opportunity to use it! poser2
Back to top Go down
syspig

PostSubject: Re: A nice Christmas surprise   A nice Christmas surprise EmptyTue Jan 03, 2012 12:41 am

Well...it came to be. Struck a deal on an '08 yesterday.

It wasn't advertised for sale anywhere...one of the inmates over at ADV saw a similar post of mine there, and contacted me directly about one he was planning on selling.

It's sooooooweeeet!

2008 Yamaha WR250R
5K miles
IMS 3.1 gallon tank (new - never installed)
Renazco seat, plus stock re-worked set (cut down, better foam added)
Shock reworked/revalved by Superplush Suspensions
FMF programmer
Graves exhaust tip
Flexx Bars
Roxx Risers
Cycra handguards
Pro Moto Billet rear rack
Side racks w/RotoPax fuel cell mounts (new - never installed)
Utah Sport Cycles skid plate
Neduro folding dual sport mirrors
Michelin T63's w/heavy duty tubes
MotionPro lightweight rimlocks
Speed Bleeders
Wolfman Saddlebags
Sandman countershaft cover
Factory shop manual

All maintenance records - not abused, hard to tell from new. Nuttin' but a couple "lawn pics" so far - more exciting images to come once the adventures begin.

A nice Christmas surprise IMG_20120102_130235
A nice Christmas surprise IMG_20120102_130321
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: A nice Christmas surprise   A nice Christmas surprise EmptyTue Jan 03, 2012 12:53 am

cheers
Back to top Go down
Delta_T

Delta_T

PostSubject: Re: A nice Christmas surprise   A nice Christmas surprise EmptyTue Jan 03, 2012 1:20 am

Good looking bike thumb Congrats !!! thumb Let the fun begin.
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

PostSubject: Re: A nice Christmas surprise   A nice Christmas surprise EmptyTue Jan 03, 2012 8:19 am

what a list of add ons,but no gopro ?
nice score wings
Back to top Go down
TwilightZone

PostSubject: Re: A nice Christmas surprise   A nice Christmas surprise EmptyTue Jan 03, 2012 12:03 pm

Awsome bike... great added parts list.
Recommend: if you have the stock rubber-covered sprockets, (looks like you do) get new ones. 13/47 or 14/48
Back to top Go down
syspig

PostSubject: Re: A nice Christmas surprise   A nice Christmas surprise EmptyTue Jan 03, 2012 12:26 pm

TwilightZone wrote:
Recommend: if you have the stock rubber-covered sprockets, (looks like you do) get new ones. 13/47 or 14/48

Yup - they are still stock.

I'll definitely upgrade them, but not right away. There's quite a bit of life left in them, and I'd like to get a feel for stock gearing on and offroad for my riding style before making changes.

So far, I've put a grand total of 5 miles on the bike riding through the neighborhood...not exactly a good test. Hoping to get a little more exposure this coming weekend.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A nice Christmas surprise   A nice Christmas surprise Empty

Back to top Go down

A nice Christmas surprise
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next