Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Stalling issues??

Go down 
+6
PQRS...
wildmotha
motokid
mtb
longtallsally
shawngrodz
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
shawngrodz

shawngrodz

Stalling issues?? Empty
PostSubject: Stalling issues??   Stalling issues?? EmptyFri Jun 12, 2009 10:50 am

So i've gotten a few rides under my belt and I was wondering if anyone else experiences the bike stalls at low rpm's. It's usually when I'm coming to either a complete stop, and getting ready to turn around or even at low rpm's in 2nd gear. BAM, she just dies. Starts right back up but it is something i've noticed since the beginning. I am new to trail riding so I've been told to keep reving the engine to keep the rpm's up?? Just curious if it could be something more?
Back to top Go down
longtallsally

longtallsally

Stalling issues?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stalling issues??   Stalling issues?? EmptyFri Jun 12, 2009 11:02 am

You have hit why I'm not going to modify the exhaust or intake or any of that stuff on ours- yet. I've got fast bikes and rearranging deck chairs... Well, you get my point.

That said, I can't answer any questions on why this is happening, but I will tell you that getting a book, or DVD or the like on how to ride in the dirt would be immensely helpful. I too am fairly new to the dirt with only a few years thus far (came from the track) mainly on huge Adventure bikes, and once I got an instructional DVD from a guy on ADV, my riding and skills went through the roof as it gave me the basics on how to ride and then just practiced. It was kinda like "A Twist of the Wrist" for me on the track bikes.
Back to top Go down
shawngrodz

shawngrodz

Stalling issues?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stalling issues??   Stalling issues?? EmptyFri Jun 12, 2009 11:19 am

Yes, the bike does have mods that may be contributing to the stalling. I know there seems to be a bunch of people that have the same mods as me (FYI - I bought the bike from Stevekus) so I'm hoping someone can help me out here. Also, you have a link to purchase that dvd? I do have friends that ride, but let's face it, we're not 16 anymore. When I do get together with these guys, I would like to at least have the basics down.
Back to top Go down
mtb

mtb

Stalling issues?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stalling issues??   Stalling issues?? EmptyFri Jun 12, 2009 11:25 am

A few things that you might want to check...

1. RPM at idling.... factory suggest 1450-1650.... you might to want tune up the idling RPM a little... it will help

2. Clutch cable slack... if there's too much slack (too loose), it will stall easily... I just adjusted mine today after a few track sessions

Hope these would help
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Stalling issues?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stalling issues??   Stalling issues?? EmptyFri Jun 12, 2009 11:43 am

shawngrodz wrote:
I've been told to keep reving the engine to keep the rpm's up??

Who is telling you that? I can't imagine a modern 4-stroke japanese machine needing any such thing unless your idle is set way to low.

My wr250x never stalls and I'd rather stall in the woods on a trail than in heavy traffic on a multi-lane commuter road with soccer-moms and happy-hour patrons.

There really should be no reason to have to manipulate the throttle to keep your WR from stalling.
Back to top Go down
longtallsally

longtallsally

Stalling issues?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stalling issues??   Stalling issues?? EmptyFri Jun 12, 2009 11:55 am

shawngrodz wrote:
Yes, the bike does have mods that may be contributing to the stalling. I know there seems to be a bunch of people that have the same mods as me (FYI - I bought the bike from Stevekus) so I'm hoping someone can help me out here. Also, you have a link to purchase that dvd? I do have friends that ride, but let's face it, we're not 16 anymore. When I do get together with these guys, I would like to at least have the basics down.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246657

neduro races and does pretty well. Keep in mind that this is geared for bigger bikes (my "other" dirt bike is a GS1200 Adventure) but many if not all of the concepts are the same. The WR is just a mountain bike compared to the pig.
Back to top Go down
wildmotha

wildmotha

Stalling issues?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stalling issues??   Stalling issues?? EmptySat Jun 13, 2009 2:11 pm

Shawngrodz:

I just got mine yesterday. I experienced the exact same thing. At idle the bike would stall by merely pulling the clutch in and hammering it into first. I would have to blip the throttle to keep it running, and sometimes it would even stall when I would just touch the throttle in neutral. Then slowing down to a stop it would stall nearly ever single time. I was VERY VERY concerned. I just came back from a 50 mile ride and it got better....and better.....and better, now it doesnt do it anymore. I blame it on previous owner neglect. The bike was sitting for who knows how long, prolly had old rusty gas in it. The guy said he would start it and drive it around the neighborhood, but it takes a while for an engine to get really hot. I think mine just needed to be ridden for a few hours.
Back to top Go down
PQRS...

PQRS...

Stalling issues?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stalling issues??   Stalling issues?? EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 8:07 pm

hmmm... sounds like a low idle? i think they come set too low, i have occasionally killed my engine when idling then all of a sudden bliping the throttle.... like i caught it off stroke or something?
but its been rare enough, and explainable enough that it never bothered me.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Stalling issues?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stalling issues??   Stalling issues?? EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 8:21 pm

Can't say mine's ever done that, and I've never touched my idle screw since bringing it home off the showroom floor. dunno

PQRS...

Stalling issues?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stalling issues??   Stalling issues?? EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 8:27 pm

mines only done it a couple times when idling when its hot out. the idle loads up a bit maybe then a mis-timed blip and it blows the fire out.... only happend 2 or 3 times in a couple thousand miles so its a non issue to me.
but i dont know if thats what the author is talking aboot?
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

Stalling issues?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stalling issues??   Stalling issues?? EmptyTue Jun 16, 2009 1:08 am

First thing I would do is change the fuel source
Run a tank of something else through it
Also, are you just pulling the clutch in and braking from a high gear?
Bikes dont like that
I have never experienced stalling on my bike stock or modded and i know they dont do weird stuff so something's up
Back to top Go down
shawngrodz

shawngrodz

Stalling issues?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stalling issues??   Stalling issues?? EmptyTue Jun 16, 2009 10:36 am

Thanks everyone . . I'll check the idle.
Back to top Go down
wildmotha

wildmotha

Stalling issues?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stalling issues??   Stalling issues?? EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 2:44 pm

I'm still having stalling issues. I bought a WRR bike with rust in the tank. The rust was far worse than I thought, in fact it was the rustiest tank I have ever seen, unbelievable for a bike this new. Acid and rust remover was not working that well, so I had the inside of the tank sand blasted to remove any loose particals. I also thouroughly cleaned the fuel filter, pump, canister, anything I could in the fuel pump assembly. She only stalls at idle if I abruptly blip the throttle, it is better than it was, it used to stall just shifting into first or slowing down.

How do I adjust the idle, all I can see is the air screw or is that the idle speed.... scratch
Back to top Go down

Stalling issues?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stalling issues??   Stalling issues?? EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 6:36 pm

You have probably already checked it, but how is the air filter? It sounds like the bike experienced some neglect so check all the possibilities. I like tinkering with bikes, I miss that with my WR. Don't get frustrated, you have ruled out most of the problems.
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

Stalling issues?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stalling issues??   Stalling issues?? EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 11:09 pm

wildmotha wrote:
I'm still having stalling issues. I bought a WRR bike with rust in the tank. The rust was far worse than I thought, in fact it was the rustiest tank I have ever seen, unbelievable for a bike this new. Acid and rust remover was not working that well, so I had the inside of the tank sand blasted to remove any loose particals. I also thouroughly cleaned the fuel filter, pump, canister, anything I could in the fuel pump assembly. She only stalls at idle if I abruptly blip the throttle, it is better than it was, it used to stall just shifting into first or slowing down.

How do I adjust the idle, all I can see is the air screw or is that the idle speed.... scratch

Something tells me that somebody poured somethin nasty in the tank to get it to rust like that
I've seen a million tank's and rust is really not a problem with a yamaha under normal condition's
Fuel injected bikes have the equivelant of of an accelerator pump where rapid opening of the throttle put's more fuel in so blipping the throttle will cause a rich condition particularly when there is no load, lot's of people for some reason like to blip while down shifting, maybe that could case stalling on decell
Doesn't look like there is a simple "Idle adjuster" but there is a throttle stop screw with a locknut
Look's like you have to remove the tank to get at it
I'd be carefull adjusting idle speed on a EFI bike, first check it to see if it's wrong or not, also check the TPS setting in DIAG mode
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Stalling issues?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stalling issues??   Stalling issues?? EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 11:27 pm

0007onWR wrote:
lot's of people for some reason like to blip while down shifting

Shog Busted....

wildmotha

Stalling issues?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stalling issues??   Stalling issues?? EmptyThu Jun 18, 2009 1:08 pm

Hmmm I might be having a little trouble with my "TPS Reports" ....(office space)

It does not stall during decell and "blipping" during downshifts, I don't know about anyone else but the WRR seems to encourage that action for smooth downshifting.

It stalls when it is sitting at idle, warmed up engine and I abruptly rev the engine. I'm not encouraging reving the engine with no load, I would discourage such an action; however, the bike will stall sometimes when I initiate the throttle before letting the clutch out. While I noticed this, it came to my attention that the more abruptly I twist the throttle at idle, the more likely the bike will stall. I also notice that on youtube it seems that other people WR/X's seem to idle higher than mine. The other bikes have a fast smooth idle, and mine is kind of low and seems to miss a beat here and there.

I think maybe I will buy one of the aftermarket fuel management system. I see a few options; is the FMF the only one that does not require dyno tuning?

0007: Yea, it just doesn't make sense. Someone had to have poured salt water in that tank, I live a few hundred yards from the beach and I know all too well how corrosive salt water is. I think someone understood "saltwater" in the tank when you store the bike, not "stabil." I documented the whole thing, I'd like to post pics, but I couldn't get the host function to work, do I need to post them on a photo website first? Well, the bike runs good. Just have that wierd stalling issue. I'm going to try turning that air screw out a bit.

WRockin: Yep, checked the filter before I bought it, really clean...and I know the kid didn't clean it.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

Stalling issues?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stalling issues??   Stalling issues?? EmptyThu Jun 18, 2009 11:08 pm

Ya you have a weird one there, sound's rich
Stalling while idling is an odd thing on a bike like this
I would not add a modification to repair a problem, cure the problem first
as for mod's, check em all, human error is the most likely cause
Air leak, or dumb stuff like the plug cap coil not pushed all the way on, maybe the weep hole is plugged and there's water in the plug hole
Definitely check TPS adjustment, you should also have your fuel pressure checked
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

Stalling issues?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stalling issues??   Stalling issues?? EmptyThu Jun 18, 2009 11:10 pm

Oh, by the way, you dont have an air screw on an EFI bike, that's carb lingo
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Stalling issues?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stalling issues??   Stalling issues?? EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 9:13 am

Attitude's tuner doesn't require a dyno, it's cheaper than the FMF and easy to program.

motokid

Stalling issues?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stalling issues??   Stalling issues?? EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 9:41 am

0007onWR wrote:
lot's of people for some reason like to blip while down shifting

Is for "some reason" a mild form of sarcasm? I don't know you so it's difficult to tell if you are making a joke or not.

Blipping while downshifting has a defined purpose which makes perfect sense.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Stalling issues?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stalling issues??   Stalling issues?? EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 10:05 am

I've done that right from when I first started riding bikes. You also rev the engines up in big trucks too before downshifting otherwise you grind gears and you won't get the stick into the hole. You have to hit a certain RPM before it will allow the shift into the gear with or without the clutch.

wildmotha

Stalling issues?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stalling issues??   Stalling issues?? EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 6:16 pm

0007: No, that screw on the throttle body is still an air screw according to the parts schematic, at least on this bike. Nevertheless, that wasn't it either. I even replaced the plug today thinking maybe someone put the wrong one in or the gap was off, nothing (BTW 9 F'n bucks for the plug? Did I get had???) I don't know how to check the throttle position sensor and switch it into diagnostic mode, I don't have the full service manual. I'll prolly re-clean the fuel pump after a tank or two. I been running with some injector cleaner too, I dunno, i've always considered those things as gimmicks.

It runs good though, I put 50 miles or so on her today, didnt stall once, plenty of power, great fun!! But again, I can make it stall by abbruptly initiating the throttle, and that worries me.....? Any ideas? Should I take it to the dealer? I've never really trusted dealer mechanics...... scratch
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Stalling issues?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stalling issues??   Stalling issues?? EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 6:30 pm

I've got the service manual if you need it. thumb

sswrx

Stalling issues?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stalling issues??   Stalling issues?? EmptySun May 22, 2011 11:53 pm

Glad I finally found this topic. I just took a 75 mile ride on Sat. & had stalling problems almost the whole trip. Stalled at almost every stop in neutral or clutch pulled in. Cold or hot made no difference. If I start it & let it just idle, the RPMs are lower than they used to be, about 1340 to 1490 & it will intermittently start to cut out & then quits. I can restart it & it will run a little then stall again. Has adjusting the idle usually fixed this issue? The bike is currently in stock form. I took all the mods off to isolate the problem. The bike runs fine at any speed & has no issue as long as it's not idling out of gear.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Stalling issues?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stalling issues??   Stalling issues?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Stalling issues??
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next