Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Dunlop D603

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
donutbiker

Dunlop D603 Empty
PostSubject: Dunlop D603   Dunlop D603 EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 10:51 am

Would any kind soul be able to advise a noob like me about the performance and fitment of the Dunlop D603 for my WRR?

I have been on my stock trail wings for 1year and its time to change the front. I was hoping to get the Michelin T63 and Sarah (greer) has been most helpful in her advise to me. The reason why I like the T63 is because it does not increase the height of the bike as its similar to the TW. I am only 1.69m or 1.7m (in the morning) tall with a short in-seam, and have already done the necessary adjustments for my height.

I also ride mostly on twisty country road (tar) and highway during my exploratory adventure on my WRR but the WRR also allows me to explore dirt roads when necessary. Hence the TW has held up well for my needs.

This year I am hoping to do abit more dirt roads (non-technical type) but highway and twisty country road is still the majority. A single day adventure would be about 300km-500km of travelling, at average speed of 90km/h-110km/h .

The PROBLEM is I am unable to purchase the T63 in my country and I will need to order it online and shipped it in (which may be very expensive). Hence a workshop has suggested that I try the D603 which I know nothing about.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
donutbiker

Dunlop D603 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dunlop D603   Dunlop D603 EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 10:43 am

right, decided to pull the trigger and to go for the D603 front although I could not get any feedback from this forum.

Here is a review from TT forum by imora99 posted 07 Oct 2009:
"I finally found some tires for my bike. I ended up with Dunlop D603. They are rated in some places at 60/40% and some others 70/30% being off road the main purpose.

All I can say is that this is another bike!...the improvement in all respects it was just hard to believe for me...I rode last weekend for hours and hours all the time with a big smile on my face! ...If l was so happy with the XT250 before now I am definitely in love...I just can't wait for the weekend to come so I can go riding.

But being a bit more objective, this is are some of the facts:

The stock tires specially the rear lasted 5,000 Km (3,125 miles) riding about 80% of that off road. I could have run the front for a little longer, maybe another 500 Km. but what for?...so replaced it too.
Tire sizes...Front 2.75/21 (stock size), Rear 120/90/18 (10 mm. taller then stock,90 instead of 80). They don't manufacture an 80, so I took the chance.
Prices, Front US$50.00, Rear US$70.00. While looking for information on the tires I found that this prices are similar in other places in the world, like the UK and US.

There are no issues whatsoever fitting the rear tire. One thing is I did have to balance them but eventually didn't on the rear tire as it would require I huge chunk of lead to balance the weight of the piece (don't know the name) that secures the tire to the rim. On the front tire I did balanced and it required about 6 or 8 sticks of self sticking lead and it balanced perfect.

After I put them on I tried first on the street, increasing slowly the speed to check for anything unusual. Feeling nothing different I went to the road (paved) and accelerated little by little until eventually I reached speeds in excess of 100 Km/h. No issues either whatsoever. I approached the first curve of the road and as I leaned over I felt the first hint of difference...the bike turns a lot easier and faster with the new tires. I found my self oversteering as I would lean on the curve just to much still used to the older tires. With the 603s it feels so easy and inspire so much confidence that pretty soon I was leaning so much I could feel I was going to touch the tar with the point of my boot. First big smile here . Another thing is that the bike now vibrates much less, so my butt was not feeling the tar as much as before. Second big smile! .

I thought to myself..."well, so far so good...if only this improved riding on tar was all I'd get I'd be pleased with the tires"

After about an hour of riding on tar, I decided I was ready for the true test...going off road!... (will continue later...have some work to do...unfortunately I am not retired like some fellow rider that leaves farther south in Central America ) "

Based on the abover review and an advise from a fellow rider I decided to get the D603 and the 1st 15km home from the workshop with the new tyre is smooth. I need to a couple more rides before i can post a review.

The size is the same as the stock TW so that works for me in terms of not raising the bike's height.

Check out Dunlop Australia regarding D603 http://www.dunloptyres.com.au/dotCMS/TyreDetailAction?website=DUN&websegmentcode=MOTORCYCLE&mtpcode=80135&from=nPerPage

Photos!

Dunlop D603 090120121003

Dunlop D603 090120121004
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Dunlop D603 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dunlop D603   Dunlop D603 EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 8:03 pm

Interesting tread. We can't get them here in NA, sadly. dunno

Dunlop D603 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dunlop D603   Dunlop D603 EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 7:43 am

Shewolf, you have heaps of other choices to choose from thumb

Oh special thks to jager-Tire sizing & Stock tire/wheel specifications thread which is most helpful.

The tyre seems easier to lean into turns in todays' after work ride. Hoping to do a 500km adventure this weekend to fully understand this tyre. Pray
Back to top Go down
donutbiker

Dunlop D603 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dunlop D603   Dunlop D603 EmptySun May 27, 2012 9:40 pm

Update of tyre: Happy and satisfied noob dirt rider.

ON ROAD-
No difference from the stock. Reliable on dry and wet road. able to corner relatively aggressively on dry road (views of a noob)

ON dry compact dirt-
Satisfactory. ABle to steer my bike through corners and did not give up on me on ruts or potholes at the corner.
As a noob rider, i go slow on dirt, slow in and slow out.

Thoughts-
I am satisfy with D603, and look forward to putting on the rear when the stock TW wears out.
Back to top Go down
donutbiker

Dunlop D603 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dunlop D603   Dunlop D603 EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 2:29 am

another update: installed new front and new rear D603

Went on a offroad adventure with 18 yamaha super tenere at Malaysia Endau Rompin national Park on OCT 13 2012.

Highway- i went ahead of the s10 as i was on turtle speed compare to them while on the highway. travelling at an average of 100km/h. My front started to wobble at speedo speed of about 115km/h, must have been the wind.

Offroad- gravel, open trail, tight trail, mud, up and down slope. No worries i was keeping with the Big S10s. Tires were good! The rear was fishtailing abit while on the gravel section but i always managed to bring it back without slipping. A couple of the s10 fell. On dirt , my little wrr with new hooves was like a mountain goat. I was taking the turns, climbing and sucking up the rocks with no worries.

every1 was most impressed with this little beast!

check out the pictures.

Dunlop D603 20121013_124954

Dunlop D603 20121013_144624

Dunlop D603 20121013_144536

Dunlop D603 20121013_124426

Dunlop D603 20121013_150045

Dunlop D603 20121012_170153

Dunlop D603 20120630_182606

Dunlop D603 20120630_182538

Last edited by donutbiker on Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
donutbiker

Dunlop D603 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dunlop D603   Dunlop D603 EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 2:34 am

oh there were 2 KTMs and 3 BMWs and 3 tenere that went along too. 1 s10 had to be carted off on a ranger truck (thk God for the ranger!) cos he went over a rock with NO bash guard and tore off his bottom nut!
Back to top Go down
saddletramp

Dunlop D603 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dunlop D603   Dunlop D603 EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 9:30 am

Good looking rubber. Thanks for the report. I is nice to see the WR out and about in different locales.
Back to top Go down
bassandgrass

Dunlop D603 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dunlop D603   Dunlop D603 EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 12:49 pm

Definitely some good looking treads for dual sport riding. I've been running D952 and like them off road but am leaning toward something a little more on road friendly but still capable in the dirt. Thanks for the info thumb
Back to top Go down
donutbiker

Dunlop D603 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dunlop D603   Dunlop D603 EmptySun Nov 11, 2012 3:23 am

Thanks for reading !

New update: Solo Iron Butt Road Trip to Penang and kedah (Malaysia) from Singapore (2nov12 to 5nov12) ; Total distance about 1600km.

Singapore to Penang via NorthSouth Highway (about 700km) 10hrs.
- ave speed 100-110km/h ; max speed 128km/h (GPS)
- stop at every 60-80km to pump fuel and pee break (15-30mins)
- weather: 500km of monsoon RAIN
- D603 performed confidently on WET highway, i was blasting away even in the monsoon RAIN.

Penang to Kedah to Penang(about 200km)
- D603 performed confidently again on DRY highway

Penang to Singapore (700 km) 10hrs
- ave speed 110-130km/h ; max speed 134km/h (GPS)
- push the bike at full throttle most of the time
- fuel and pee break at every 60-80km
- weather: light rain for 100km
- wrr with D603 were climbing up mountains at 90km/h and taking twisties confidently
- could have been back to singapore earlier but major traffic jam at malacca

WRR with D603 (F&R) did a great job on this trip! Road trip at full throttle on highway no issues! However, i will be changing the rear soon, as its almost worn. Front is still good as it was only recently changed this month.

I really like the strong engine braking of the wrr.

I wonder if its healthy for the wrr to be at full throttle for such a long time? anyone with any feedback?

Will post up some pics soon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dunlop D603 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dunlop D603   Dunlop D603 Empty

Back to top Go down

Dunlop D603
Page 1 of 1