Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
IAmABug

Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI Empty
PostSubject: Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI   Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 2:37 pm

Does anyone know where to buy a repack kit for a delta barrel 4 exhaust.

Last edited by IAmABug on Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI   Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 8:38 pm

I think they're pretty universal. Some fella I saw last week was using a moose racing repack kit in a power core.

My GYTR need a repack as well so I I'll follow this thread for suggestions.

What are you guys using to seal the end caps when you re-assemble? Mine is starting to puke exhaust out of the front end cap so I have black crap on my white side panel.

*edit*

Here is the link to Greer's moose repack I was talking about.

https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t3423-pipe-repack-with-moose-cartridge?highlight=repack
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI   Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 3:18 am

I picked up some FMF 4stroke packing. Watched a YouTube video or two.  Very easy overall. Here is what the old packing looked like. I cleaned the  pipe inside and out. Deburred the parts (due to a random hammer) and reassembled. 

Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI Th_photo-3

Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI Th_photo-2

I hope by replacing the packing the DB level will be lower. I got a reading of 99. iPhone app of course, so as accurate as that. But, a point of reference at least. I did it from 18" back at a 45. Buddy told me to check it that way (shrug). 

I used a high heat silicone, it's  red, RTV sealant 736, comes in a green tube.  I think you can get it in black as well but my work has red. I am going to let it all sit for 48hrs to make sure it's cured before I start it. 
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI   Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 10:28 am

Here is the final install, can't wait to ride this mini beast. Just need the snow and cold to disappear.

Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI Th_d8afef7b
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI   Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 12:14 pm

I did the same with my GYTR. I think I packed it too loose though because it's already loud as hell after 2 weeks. The previous packing was all pushed up against the end cap so 2/3s of the muffler was dead space.
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI   Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 3:46 pm

Did you use the steel wool wrap method on your pipe? I used some fine stainless mesh I had to wrap the core of my pipe. I did about three layers. This is to stop the packing from being "sucked" out. I then wrapped the packin around fairly snug, but not tight. I was told that if you go to tight it will actually make the pipe louder and affect performance.
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI   Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 4:05 pm

Last time I put steel wool in a muffler the shit ignited and I got DQ'd for shooting flaming debris at other competitors... no thanks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI   Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 9:00 am

IAmABug wrote:
Here is the final install, can't wait to ride this mini beast. Just need the snow and cold to disappear.

What were the results? Is it quieter or still just as loud?
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI   Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Quieter. No although on my 'iPhone' app I lost 3db. It defiantly has a cleaner, less brappp, sound to it. I have been doing my db tests in a garage with the door open and getting 96-98db. Havnt checked it out side yet. I am not going for quiet. I will be that asshole noone wants to ride behind. Boo hoo to them !!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI   Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 6:43 pm

That's good to know. I just bought a complete Delta Barrel 4 system off a guy on ebay with only 500 Miles on it. I have been to 1 organized off-road ride (Huntersville in northern Minnesota), where the organization restricts ALL bikes to be under 94dB to participate. I'll just swap back to my OEM if it doesn't pass.
I love AND hate that feeling after you've ordered some part droooool and you can't wait for it to come in... GAHHHH

Last edited by whitea42 on Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI   Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 3:29 pm

Lucky for me I get to repack my pipe again. Only 200kms on this packing so I am hopeing to re-use the packing. When I did the repack, I wrapped the perforated inner pipe with an aluminum mesh to keep the packing from 'sucking' out the holes-good idea right...nope. I took the spark arrested out to clean it and was shocked to see MELTED aluminum on it. Either my piston is melting or the mesh is. I am guessing the mesh.

When you peeps re pack, do you wrap something around the inner pipe before the packing or do you just use the packing as is with no mesh at all?? I have some fine SS mesh I can use now.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI   Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 4:08 pm

This is what I would like to find but I have had no luck searching for it. Anyone have a lead on it??

http://www.drcproducts.com/delta/products/glass.html

Thanks

*** This is now unavailiable for those who have a Delta exhaust. Just use whatever packing you can find ***

Last edited by IAmABug on Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI   Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 7:39 pm

Talking with the guys at Yamaha today, they figure that I wrapped the packing to loose and that's why after only 300kms HALF the packing is gone, like, gone. I will take a pic tonight and show y'all. FMF packing bought and should be on tonight.
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI   Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 8:39 pm

Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI Th_e279aaf1

Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI Th_8b868f5d

Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI Th_e49c2d01
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI   Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 10:52 am

I'm still trying to figure out how to quiet down my Barrel 4 but I haven't torn it apart yet. Okay I've got a couple questions.

#1 What tool do I need to re-rivet the body back together (also pics if you've got em').
#2 I noticed Delta has a "Low Noise Inner" and a "Restrictor" on their site under Spare parts. What's the difference? Does one come with the exhaust and the other is an upgrade?
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI   Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 12:15 pm

The rivets are just like any you buy at hardware stores. If you go Stainless Steel (which is recommended) you need a air powered riveter. If you use Aluminium rivets then just any rivet gun will work.

The pipe should come with the restrictor as a OEM part (as far as I know, I bought my system used) and the low noise inner is one to order as a add on. It replaces the restrictor.

With mine I had to repack it right away and it dropped the noise from around 99-100db down to 95db. If you are really loud, then it may be time for a repack. I run my exhaust with no restrictor or low noise inner (and wear ear plugs on long rides) although I did order the low noise inner last week to try it out. Interested to see what the L. N. Inner does for the sound volume.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI   Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 12:35 pm

Where did you order your Low Noise Inner? If you dont mind me asking, what did it cost?
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI   Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 2:10 pm

Wheeling Cycle Supply. It was $16.95 +shipping. Had to contact them direct as I couldn't find it on the website.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI   Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 10:51 am

Pulled my Silencer/Muffler cap off to determine the problem. Thinking it might be the restrictor insert. So here are some pictures of my discoveries.

Pulled the Cap and insert out. Looking at the un-restricted body.
Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI Photo_13

This is what I saw from the exterior. The tip of the restrictor had come off.
Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI Photo_14

Looking at the internal portion of the restrictor It APPEARS to have been modified/shortened but I can't say for sure.
Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI Photo_15

I just placed an order through Forrest at Wheeling Cycle Supply for a "Low Noise Insert" and some repacking just in case. Everyone was right, Forrest is a stand up guy. thumb
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI   Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 12:08 pm

The restrictor has been cut for sure. Should be about 3" long.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI   Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 9:53 am

Any idea on what SIZE rivet to use. dunno
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI   Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 10:16 am

Drill one out and find out :)
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI   Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 11:43 am

3/16" inch short.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI   Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 3:18 pm

IAmABug wrote:
3/16" inch short.
Thanks Bug.

My wife and I are currently waiting to close on a house so we've been living with the in-laws Rolling Eyes and commuting an hour to work through downtown St Louis (So I'm not allowed to ride the bike) otherwise I'd get this from the wife... dddog Long story short, I dont get to see my bike very much.
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI   Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI EmptyThu Apr 26, 2012 11:48 am

Have you tried the Low Noise Insert yet? Make any difference on sound and or power? Still waiting for mine to come in. Cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI   Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI Empty

Back to top Go down

Delta Barrel 4 exhaust FYI
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next