Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Q4 Spark Arrester Removal

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
gatorfan

gatorfan

Q4 Spark Arrester Removal Empty
PostSubject: Q4 Spark Arrester Removal   Q4 Spark Arrester Removal EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 6:40 pm

Can't get the spark arrester out of my Q4.

Close to stripping that little allen bolt so I stopped. That little SOB will not budge.

Any tips?
Back to top Go down
duanew

PostSubject: Re: Q4 Spark Arrester Removal   Q4 Spark Arrester Removal EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 7:12 pm

It just so happens that I fixed mine today. I stripped mine a while back when I wanted to look inside the Q4. I was unsuccessful.

I took my dremel and cut a pretty deep clean slot in the top of the head of the bolt. I then inserted the largest flat head screwdriver bit I had in the slot. I then slid a 1/4 inch wrench over the bit and used a large screwdriver to hold the bit down in the slot by prying against it and the top of the exhaust opening. Finally use the 1/4 inch wrench to turn the bolt. I turned the bolt a few times with the closed end of the wrench and then switched over to the open end when it got easier to turn. Oh yea a headlamp really helps you see what you are doing.

My Home Depot does not have a good selection of metric bolts. I wanted a stainless screw because my original was really rusted away on the bottom end of the threads, but they were only available in a philips head for the size I needed which by the way is M5 x .8 x 10. I used a zinc plated screw instead with a lot of anti-seize.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Q4 Spark Arrester Removal   Q4 Spark Arrester Removal EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 7:50 pm

Remember Future reference to those who are installing a new Q4 or the like with the removable spark arrestor: NEVR SEEZ is your friend! Before I slapped my pipe on, I used the cooper never seize on all the screws. Made a HUGE difference when it came time to undoing it all, including that pain in the ass screw holding on the sparky. Used it again when I put it all back together. thumb

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Q4 Spark Arrester Removal   Q4 Spark Arrester Removal EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 8:48 pm

Perfect Duanew. Got that sumbitch off exactly as you described. Thanks!

Will Nevr Seez new bolt if I ever find the correct size. Thanks SheWolf.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Q4 Spark Arrester Removal   Q4 Spark Arrester Removal Empty

Back to top Go down

Q4 Spark Arrester Removal
Page 1 of 1