Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Death wings...

Go down 
+17
Akoffroader
shawngrodz
greer
Herkypilot
0007onWR
Jus42
Jäger
X-Racer
Chadx
Fargo_Wolf
BluePill
flatboarder
ZED
skierd
MeefZah
SheWolf
longtallsally
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
longtallsally

longtallsally

Death wings... Empty
PostSubject: Death wings...   Death wings... EmptySun Jun 14, 2009 2:55 am

Oh so nooooooowwwwwwwwww I get it... Worst. Tire. EVAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I picked up the poor WR no fewer than 5 times today riding with those worthless hunks of rubber. Wonderful on the street and even let me drag the pegs, but on the trail, they are beyond garbage. I made the mistake of getting a 606 in the rear and having the stock front. Oops. Threw my back out and about had a heart attack picking the dang bike up.

DO NOT GET THESE TIRES!

OK, I feel better now. Carry on.

This announcement paid for by the pain and suffering of trail riders everywhere.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Death wings... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death wings...   Death wings... EmptySun Jun 14, 2009 10:09 am

Uh...yeah.... eeek 2 days after getting my bike I ripped them off and threw on a set of 606's and never looked back. I hope you're ok! Those death wings are useless, even having one up front with good rubber behind you. It's like trying to watch a dog fuck a football; it just doesn't work no matter what way you turn it. horse

longtallsally

Death wings... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death wings...   Death wings... EmptySun Jun 14, 2009 5:57 pm

Yep I'm fine after a few Advil and a good night's sleep. Man I used to think they weren't too bad. Then I put the 606 on the rear and enjoyed some decent traction in hard pack (Hollister for anyone local).

I had not been on the trails for a while so I was working on some skills. It is hard to work on skills, when you can't even start to get the bike to behave correctly in the first place. Come up to a turn, dip in, weight the outside peg, open the throttle and prepare to whack the throttle (why else would one ride dirt?)... Well it's hard to do all that when you dip in and the bike just goes straight in every turn!

Just a bad day of riding. Needless to say, a 606 will be on the the front before next weekend.
Back to top Go down
MeefZah

MeefZah

Death wings... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death wings...   Death wings... EmptyTue Jun 16, 2009 7:34 pm

I'm the oddball... I just replaced a set of knobs with the OEM tires I had stored in my garage. Money is a bit tight so I'm gonna burn them up before slinging on my usual, the Trakmaster.

I agree they rock on the street, but not so great in the dirt. I'm planning on doing some street miles for a bit, anyway.

FWIW if you choose to replace just one tire with a knob for off road use, you are better off replacing the FRONT, as the bike will then no longer wash out in corners.
Back to top Go down
skierd

Death wings... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death wings...   Death wings... EmptyTue Jun 16, 2009 10:36 pm

I have no quarrel with the stock tires. I can't really blame them for not performing in the dirt with 4000ish miles on them, and up to that point and beyond they've been fantastic on the street and dirt roads.

That being said, my D606's should be here by Friday. deal
Back to top Go down

Death wings... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death wings...   Death wings... EmptyTue Jun 16, 2009 11:47 pm

I certainly am no expert, and for the first few hundred miles I was content with the deathwings. I didn't think it was the tires causing my bike to take so many naps on the trail. Perhaps it is my technique but I think I am ready for the front to go where I point it. Anyhow, I have ordered a Pirelli MT21 rear and Pirelli xcmh front so I will soon have something to compare. I am positive they won't be worse.
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

Death wings... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death wings...   Death wings... EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 12:27 am

My WR is the X model, so it came with fairly soft sticky street tires Very happy , but I believe you folks are talking about the Bridgestone trail wings. I have a fair bit of experience with those cretins of evil. They are typically considered a 50/50 tire. That, of course, means that they are 50% crappy on pavement and 50% crappy off-road for a grand total of 100% CRAP!!!!!!!!! (but they are cheap)

I still have them on my KLR as my wife refuses to ride them so I have to use up her last set. GAHHHH

I'm much happier with something sticky if I'm mostly doing sticky pavement stuff and just a bit of off-road and something knobby like a D606 if I'm mainly off-road. I have D606s on a second set of wheels for my KLR when I want to play HEAVY dirt bike. wink
Back to top Go down
longtallsally

longtallsally

Death wings... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death wings...   Death wings... EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 12:06 pm

skierd wrote:
I have no quarrel with the stock tires. I can't really blame them for not performing in the dirt with 4000ish miles on them, and up to that point and beyond they've been fantastic on the street and dirt roads.

I'd like to know how you got 4k out of them. Suspect In 2600 miles, the rear was totally shagged to the wear bars and the front isn't too much better. Perhaps I'm a bit of a throttle jockey, but I have no clue how you could get that many miles out of set.

I was just being cheap in not getting the front as well and thought I'd give it a try. Oops.

As a bit of an update, I went for a road ride on this setup- death wing front and 606 rear- and surprisingly didn't have to change my riding too much. I did have one very tasty tail slide when I went into a 20mph marked turn at 55 indicated, but otherwise not too bad. I am thinking, though, that my toe dragging days will be over once I get a 606 on the front.
Back to top Go down
flatboarder

flatboarder

Death wings... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death wings...   Death wings... EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 12:30 pm

skierd wrote:

Same here. stock BT TWs perform quite well at dry offroad conditions. Used them at our enduro track as well. Would not like to ride them in deep mud and also realize there is some lack of lateral grip when sliding into bends, but all in all they are good dual purpose tires in my opinion. As long as I am not going into real hard enduro or racing I would not consider changing tires since MX or real enduro tires will usually give poor performance and extremely poor durability when used on paved roads.
Back to top Go down
flatboarder

flatboarder

Death wings... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death wings...   Death wings... EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 12:39 pm

longtallsally wrote:

I'd like to know how you got 4k out of them. Suspect In 2600 miles, the rear was totally shagged to the wear bars and the front isn't too much better. Perhaps I'm a bit of a throttle jockey, but I have no clue how you could get that many miles out of set.

Sure, but what about MX tires used at tarmac? Would you think they last any longer than probably 500 miles? 200miles?

Quote :

I was just being cheap in not getting the front as well and thought I'd give it a try. Oops.

Given your situation I would have kept stock rear tire but replaced front tire to get hold of better front traction. There is not much problem about rear traction reduced. Same thing happens with enduro tires wearing off after some sessions. Front tire traction in my opinion is much more important for safe offroad usage. Lack of front traction will hurt much more than lack of rear traction.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Death wings... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death wings...   Death wings... EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 12:41 pm

That's what I like about the 606...it's aggressive enuf to grab just about everything, yet still a DOT tire. And wear on pavement is incredible for a knobby. Also, his 4000 is in miles, not KM's. That would put them at around just over 6400 km's. IIRC, Red's are half that, and his skins are getting down there.

MeefZah

Death wings... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death wings...   Death wings... EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 1:12 pm

flatboarder wrote:

Sure, but what about MX tires used at tarmac? Would you think they last any longer than probably 500 miles? 200miles?

The Southwicks I just took off went 1200 miles (in 4 days) in Michigan before being totally shagged out. I don't get a whole lot better mileage out of a DOT knob like the Trakmaster, 1800 - 2000 mi.
Back to top Go down
BluePill

BluePill

Death wings... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death wings...   Death wings... EmptySun Jun 28, 2009 2:18 pm

skierd wrote:

+1 on the above. 99% of my riding is paved and dirt road twisties. As long as it's DRY I like the tires alot, but they really suck in the wet. I got 3500 miles out of the first rear tire (front was still about 50%), and replaced it with another 'wing. By the time I need another rear the front should also be due. I'll try the 606 based on everyone's good reports.
Back to top Go down
Fargo_Wolf

Fargo_Wolf

Death wings... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death wings...   Death wings... EmptySun Jun 28, 2009 4:44 pm

Simple equation:

Death Wings + Bike + Plus any surface in general = eeek GAHHHH baldy horse

Nuff said.
Back to top Go down
skierd

Death wings... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death wings...   Death wings... EmptySun Jun 28, 2009 5:37 pm

Got a chance to test the D606's a little today, much much much much better in the dirty stuff. A bit more vibey and wandering on the highway though, and I can definitely feel the gearing change with the taller size. Not long enough on them to really have formed an opinion on them honestly.

Death wings... Bike1
Back to top Go down
Chadx

Death wings... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death wings...   Death wings... EmptyWed Jul 01, 2009 1:03 pm

Fargo_Wolf wrote:
Simple equation:Death Wings + Bike + Plus any surface in general = eeek GAHHHH baldy

Nah, not "any surface". Tarmac, gravel roads, dry dirt, and rocky trails are fine. I've found no urgent need to replace them, but will go with 606 when the time comes to replace (and will coordinate that with the new sprockets/chain and associated gear down). All the trails around here are dry and rocky. I know the trailwings limitations, though, as the few experiences on wet grass, mud, and sand make me know another tire choice will be better at covering all conditions rather than the usual conditions where I ride.

When I brought the R² with to Minnesota a few weeks ago, I was crying for different tires all week, but all was well when I returned home to the dry and rocky terrain around Montana. To put another way, if someone gave me free trailwings, I'd use them again rather than buy a pair of 606, even though it means there are a few terrain types that I would very occasionally run into where they don't perform up to other tire types.

Everyone just needs to get the right tire for the terrain they ride.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

Death wings... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death wings...   Death wings... EmptySun Aug 30, 2009 3:04 am

I guess I don't understand how anyone considers even today's cross-use tire to be particularly good anywhere. I realize there is differences in capability between them, but still..

You could make all the same arguments about a dual-sport bike.

I certainly don't expect the MT Pirellis on my SuMo to be anywhere near the capability of the TWs.

I wouldn't expect either to do what my Maxxis do on the dirt, or my Corsa IIIs on the R1 to do what they do.

Maybe I'm over simplifying it, and it seems obvious, but sans cost, combined traction and noise are all I see as the variables in the argument. ~ shrug ~
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

Death wings... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death wings...   Death wings... EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 8:19 pm

Chadx wrote:
Nah, not "any surface". Tarmac, gravel roads, dry dirt, and rocky trails are fine. I've found no urgent need to replace them, but will go with 606 when the time comes to replace (and will coordinate that with the new sprockets/chain and associated gear down). All the trails around here are dry and rocky. I know the trailwings limitations, though, as the few experiences on wet grass, mud, and sand make me know another tire choice will be better at covering all conditions rather than the usual conditions where I ride.

When I brought the R² with to Minnesota a few weeks ago, I was crying for different tires all week, but all was well when I returned home to the dry and rocky terrain around Montana.
Copy that. The TW's are just fine on the dry and hard forestry roads of SE BC and NW Montana, and the branch roads and old cart tracks that feed off those roads. They may well be absolute crap in thick gooey mud, sand, etc - but I will never know as I don't ride in that stuff.

The other thing is, after I've spent six or seven hours prowling around up in the roads that lead up into the Palliser and all those areas, when I'm trashed from riding and it is the end of a long day, while it was fine riding dirt to work my way up there, I really don't want to turn around and spend another four or five hours working my way back the same way. When I've had enough, I want to go home the fastest way possible. And it is far easier to just jump out to the highway and do the 80 miles home on the slab at whatever speed I feel like. I'm sure there's lots of tires that would feel more sure footed off the slab, but I'm not so sure they'd be equally comfortable and enjoyable for the slab portion of my dual sport riding - because I really do end up riding the mythical 50/50. Lots of places where I ride, it is anywhere from a 10 to 40 mile ride on the slab before heading off up some dirt road - and then the reverse on the way home. So I for one want the best balance of a decent tire for both my kind of off-slab and on-slab riding. And my kind of riding does not involve loon poo, gnarly trails full of big roots and sharp rocks, etc.

So for my kind of riding, the TW's have been pretty decent. Although, I don't think I will begin to see anything like 4000 miles or kilometers or anything like that out of them, if the wear on the rear is any indication.

Quote :
Everyone just needs to get the right tire for the terrain they ride.
Exactly. What a concept!
Back to top Go down
Jus42

Death wings... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death wings...   Death wings... EmptyTue Sep 15, 2009 6:34 pm

They are even worse in the sand!! Every single track here (Pine Barrens, South Jersey) are moderate to deep sand. The TW's make the bike very unstable in this stuff, drifting and downright dangerous handlebar wobble. Almost feel like the tire skims right on top of the sand instead of biting. Going to kill the stocks on the street then switch it up to 606's!
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

Death wings... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death wings...   Death wings... EmptyFri Oct 02, 2009 11:14 pm

I actually burst into laughter when I tried riding the toughest 50 yards of my life
Deep fine soft sand was like riding on 2 flat tires on ice, had 3 near wipeouts and was out of breath
I had to turn around and get out of there
They do hook on a hard hard gravel road but that's about it
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Death wings... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death wings...   Death wings... EmptyFri Oct 02, 2009 11:51 pm

Mine didn't even have 2 trips on them before I tossed them into the carport... Very happy

Herkypilot

Death wings... Empty
PostSubject: Sell your Trail wings   Death wings... EmptyMon Oct 26, 2009 8:51 pm

I know - wrong section, I'll be posting over in the "For Sale" section - I'm interested in some that are almost new and from the sounds of it, there are a few of you throwing them in the garage after one ride.

Herky
Back to top Go down
greer

Death wings... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death wings...   Death wings... EmptyTue Oct 27, 2009 6:32 am

I'd be interested in take-offs too, esp a rear. I posted an ad. Thanks.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
shawngrodz

shawngrodz

Death wings... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death wings...   Death wings... EmptyWed Oct 28, 2009 7:41 pm

I have a set of stock tires with like 300 miles on them. I'm in CT and I'll sell them real CHEAP if anyone want's them/ I'll also post this in the correct place. Let me know.
Back to top Go down
Akoffroader

Death wings... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death wings...   Death wings... EmptyThu Oct 29, 2009 1:44 am

I went from the stock Trail Wings to Dunlop D606's after the rear tire wore mostly out at 2700 miles, may have had another 300 miles left in it. The front could go another round with a new rear from the looks of it.

I'm kind of looking forward to the D606's wearing out so I can go back to the stock trail wings. I do about 50% on pavement and about 50% dirt road / trail. The stock tires took me everywhere I wanted to go and were a lot quieter and handled pavement better.

The only area I've seen my D606's out shine the stock tires is in sloppy mud. I actually crashed for the first time with the D606's on dirt. With the stock tires I'd just air down and pick my path. Just my opinion.

AK
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Death wings... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death wings...   Death wings... Empty

Back to top Go down

Death wings...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next