Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Electrical system down, turn sigs only

Go down 
+2
ramz
weezy
6 posters
AuthorMessage
weezy

Electrical system down, turn sigs only Empty
PostSubject: Electrical system down, turn sigs only   Electrical system down, turn sigs only EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 10:36 pm

So I, uh, kinda dumped my 2008 WR250R trying to load it into my truck yesterday. Sorry, no video but I can assure you it was hilarious.

Anyway, it came down on the left side hard enough to knock the clutch lever slightly out of position. Now when I turn the key I get nothing from the display, it won't turn over, no brake lights, but the turn signals work (front and back). And the fuel pump or the ECU or whatever makes that whirring noise still turns on with the key.

I can push start the bike, and the kill switch will shut the engine down. The headlight works while the bike is running. I took the seat and most of the plastic off and checked all the connections and wires, as well as checking all the fuses. I couldn't see any obvious damage or disconnections which leads me to believe that one of the devices (display console, fuse box, etc) might have been damaged. I've got the service manual but I'm terrible at reading a schematic.

The wiring harness on this thing frightens and confuses me. Also, not to be a downer but my regular mechanic killed himself over the holidays so I'm kinda responsible for all repairs for now. dunno

Hope everyone is having a great winter. It's like spring here in eastern utah!
Back to top Go down
ramz

PostSubject: Re: Electrical system down, turn sigs only   Electrical system down, turn sigs only EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 11:38 pm

There is a small clutch sensor switch that plugs into the inboard end of the clutch lever perch. It is easily pulled out of position and may even have a broken mounting tab due to the fall. There are two wires leading to the switch. The switch may be preventing the starter from engaging, but it will not otherwise affect the running of the bike. That's probably why you can push start the bike.

Try starting it in neutral with the side stand up... scratch
Back to top Go down
Heoz

PostSubject: Re: Electrical system down, turn sigs only   Electrical system down, turn sigs only EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 5:54 am

Double check the 10A fuse - it provides power to the brake light, license plate light, running lights, horn, display, start switch/starter relay.

In case you don't know, the running lights are only on the front turn signals - they should light up when you turn the key on.

Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Electrical system down, turn sigs only   Electrical system down, turn sigs only EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 9:44 am

There's a fuse box on left side (clutch side) of bike behind shroud.

Check fuses.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Just Bob

Just Bob

PostSubject: Re: Electrical system down, turn sigs only   Electrical system down, turn sigs only EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 8:33 pm

ramz wrote:
There is a small clutch sensor switch that plugs into the inboard end of the clutch lever perch. It is easily pulled out of position and may even have a broken mounting tab due to the fall. There are two wires leading to the switch. The switch may be preventing the starter from engaging, but it will not otherwise affect the running of the bike. That's probably why you can push start the bike.

Try starting it in neutral with the side stand up... scratch

This.
Back to top Go down
weezy

PostSubject: Re: Electrical system down, turn sigs only   Electrical system down, turn sigs only EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 12:18 am

okay, i'm officially an idiot or something. the 10 amp fuse WAS bad, i just didn't see it because i was checking the fuses after the sun was down and must have missed it. doh! at least it was a quick fix. i feel kinda stupid for starting a new thread before double checking things.

thanks to everyone for the quick responses. this is a great forum!
Back to top Go down
Just Bob

Just Bob

PostSubject: Re: Electrical system down, turn sigs only   Electrical system down, turn sigs only EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 12:23 am

weezy wrote:
okay, i'm officially an idiot or something.

You'll fit right in here.
Back to top Go down
Brianr4

Brianr4

PostSubject: same thing   Electrical system down, turn sigs only EmptySat Mar 31, 2012 5:37 pm

I installed my rear rack today. after install i try to start it, fuel pump works, no dash info.
check that fuse, it is blown.
anybody have any idea why?
i rode the bike last night, parked it, installed rack, then it is blown.
??????????????????

also found a loose bolt stuck in the wire loom behind that cover, looks like it was dropped there during assembly. hmmmmmm

found it!
pinched the wires going to tailight when i installed the rack, one of the spacers pinched it!

time for some wire work!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Electrical system down, turn sigs only   Electrical system down, turn sigs only Empty

Back to top Go down

Electrical system down, turn sigs only
Page 1 of 1