Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Fixing a leaking IMS tank

Go down 
+4
ramz
47une
BBRadar
Jdcooper
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Jdcooper

Fixing a leaking IMS tank Empty
PostSubject: Fixing a leaking IMS tank   Fixing a leaking IMS tank EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 11:19 pm

I got an awesome deal on an IMS 4.7 gal tank. As with most great deals it came with a catch. The previous owned overtightened the sump fitting and it leaked. This is the story of my attempts to fix it. My guess is that others have had the same problem........

The IMS product support folks grudgingly admitted that this is not an uncommon problem. The sump fitting is used as an anchor for the low-point fuel hose in the wings of the tank. It's simply screwed into the plastic with tapered threads to effect the seal.
Fixing a leaking IMS tank Winter2011051
Who's idea was THAT ? Why they didn't just mold in a brass female fitting is best left to another thread. Researching the issue here, on AdvRider and ThumperTalk revealed that most repair stories involved tanks with cracks or holes. Nothing about bunged-up threads. I found 2 fuel compatible thread sealers; Permatex Aviation Form-a-Gasket and a rubberized aircraft fuel tank sealant. This is essentially a fuel compatible RTV, and was my choice.
Fixing a leaking IMS tank Winter2011055
I applied a practice coat to an area beneath the tank and it adhered as well as can be expected to the Hi Density Polyethylene. It was sufficiently rubbery to fill the area between the bad threads and the fitting.

I applied a thin coat to the male and female threads, then built up a filet around the head of the fitting.
Fixing a leaking IMS tank Winter2011064
The stuff cures in 7 to 10 days ( ! ), so no leak check until next week.

Given the safety issues of a fuel leak onto a hot engine, I plan an overpressure test for a couple days before mounting it up on the bike. Film at Eleven, as they say.

Last edited by Jdcooper on Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BBRadar

PostSubject: Re: Fixing a leaking IMS tank   Fixing a leaking IMS tank EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 3:21 am

thanks for the write up. I've got the same problem and have used thread tape to fix it - but I fear it's only temporary since the tape I used is just plumbing stuff and probably not fuel resistant.

I believe IMS' new tank has molded fittings and a different "well" where the fuel pump is (one that doesn't drain fuel away from the pump) - but that doesn't help all of us who bought the original.
Back to top Go down
47une

47une

PostSubject: Re: Fixing a leaking IMS tank   Fixing a leaking IMS tank EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 6:50 am

I had the same problem with my tank too, I just used a whole bunch of thread tape and it hasn't leaked since then.

Here is what they have on the new tanks, an insert for the bung to screw in:

Fixing a leaking IMS tank IMG_3181
Back to top Go down
Jdcooper

PostSubject: Re: Fixing a leaking IMS tank   Fixing a leaking IMS tank EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 8:51 am

It's been 7 days since the sealant was applied. I decided it's time for a leak test.
I filled the wing with gas and let it sit for 24 hours. No leak ! While it's not a full positive
pressure test I have enough confidence now to mount the tank up. Think I should
swap-out a new fuel pump before the installation ? The 08 fuel pumps seem to have a higher
failure rate than 09 and later. It would really hack-me-off to put the whole thing together and
have to replace the OEM pump shortly thereafter.
Back to top Go down
ramz

PostSubject: Re: Fixing a leaking IMS tank   Fixing a leaking IMS tank EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 2:25 pm

If you have a new pump sitting on the shelf awaiting a failure, then you have a questionable pump in the tank and a new one on the shelf.
I would rather have a new pump in the tank and a questionable one on the shelf.
More peace of mind.

Besides, everything is ready for the swap now.

No time like the present, and all that Fixing a leaking IMS tank 619190

You know the '08 is gonna fail this summer.
On a ride.
And you're gonna have to be rescued. Fixing a leaking IMS tank 490865
Back to top Go down
Jdcooper

PostSubject: Re: Fixing a leaking IMS tank   Fixing a leaking IMS tank EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 3:33 pm

Maybe She Wolf will rescue me...... Very happy
Back to top Go down
RROiled

PostSubject: Re: Fixing a leaking IMS tank   Fixing a leaking IMS tank EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 2:59 am

47une wrote:
I had the same problem with my tank too, I just used a whole bunch of thread tape and it hasn't leaked since then.

Here is what they have on the new tanks, an insert for the bung to screw in:

Fixing a leaking IMS tank IMG_3181

I have been pondering whether it would be a good idea to preemptively give the bung some attention prior to installing my new tank, I guess I have no choice now dunno

Curiosity got the best of me and I decided to have a look at the bung/tube connection. Apparently the tank I ordered a couple of weeks ago hadn't gotten the upgraded bung insert. If you haven't already seen the hardware, here's what it looks like.

Fixing a leaking IMS tank Bunghole1
Back to top Go down
Jdcooper

PostSubject: Been a couple weeks now...   Fixing a leaking IMS tank EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 2:19 pm

The tank has been installed and partially gassed to check for leaks. Dry as a bone, fortunately. The sealant doesn't seem affected by the gas and the non-sealed left side is high and dry too.
Fixing a leaking IMS tank 052

Now that it's all mounted up with a new fuel pump, it looks pretty good !
Fixing a leaking IMS tank 039

The rest of the parts have arrived, including the Rick Mayer seat, Wolfman racks, rear rack and Cycra Pro-bends. I spent the last 2 days mounting everything up and voila!......the WR250RAdv. Ready to roll!
Fixing a leaking IMS tank 050

I took quite a risk buying a tank advertised in eBay as "leaking", but in the end it seems to have worked out fine. I must recommend this sealant to anyone who has this problem. It should have been included in the kit from IMS in the first place.
Back to top Go down
mwgak

PostSubject: 4.7 Leak   Fixing a leaking IMS tank EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 11:41 am

+1 on the thread tape (use the yellow stuff). Been running it for 6 mo and no leaks since.
Back to top Go down
Jdcooper

PostSubject: Re: Fixing a leaking IMS tank   Fixing a leaking IMS tank EmptyTue May 01, 2012 12:27 pm

Teflon tape works well when the threads aren't buggered. Problem with the original tank is that if the bung is simply tightened to stop the leak you end up striping the plastic female threads. I can't believe that a company who has made SO many tanks would allow that kind of design. It falls into the YGTBSM category. When I spoke to them on the phone they reluctantly admitted that this has happened many times. Still they didn't have an answer to the "which sealant" question. It was like they hadn't even considered it. Very little on TT either. THAT is why I started this thread. My guess is that someone else is in the same boat I was (even though I bought the tank for $50 knowing the threads were fubar).
Back to top Go down
srileo

PostSubject: Re: Fixing a leaking IMS tank   Fixing a leaking IMS tank EmptyThu Oct 05, 2017 5:20 pm

Jdcooper wrote:
The tank has been installed and partially gassed to check for leaks. Dry as a bone, fortunately. The sealant doesn't seem affected by the gas and the non-sealed left side is high and dry too.
Fixing a leaking IMS tank Pbucket

Now that it's all mounted up with a new fuel pump, it looks pretty good !

The rest of the parts have arrived, including the Rick Mayer seat, Wolfman racks, rear rack and Cycra Pro-bends. I spent the last 2 days  mounting everything up and voila!......the WR250RAdv.  Ready to roll!

I took quite a risk buying a tank advertised in eBay as "leaking", but in the end it seems to have worked out fine.  I must recommend this sealant to anyone who has this problem.  It should have been included in the kit from IMS in the first place.

5 years later, are there any updates to this thread? I have the same leak in my IMS tank, and want to fix it with either the Permatex or the Teflon tape. Any updates would be wonderful.

Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Fixing a leaking IMS tank   Fixing a leaking IMS tank EmptyThu Oct 05, 2017 7:39 pm

srileo wrote:
5 years later, are there any updates to this thread? I have the same leak in my IMS tank, and want to fix it with either the Permatex or the Teflon tape. Any updates would be wonderful.

If you got the tank new, contact IMS; they will warranty it and send you a new one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fixing a leaking IMS tank   Fixing a leaking IMS tank Empty

Back to top Go down

Fixing a leaking IMS tank
Page 1 of 1