Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Project: First Bike Ever

Go down 
+3
skierd
fla2wnc
btomp2008
7 posters
AuthorMessage
btomp2008

btomp2008

Project: First Bike Ever Empty
PostSubject: Project: First Bike Ever   Project: First Bike Ever EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 10:54 am

I've decided to start a thread show casing the work I'm doing on my 2009 WR250X. First things first, I need to give a huge thanks and shoutout to my new friend and fellow board member MotoKirby. I bought this bike and didn't know what a rear sprocket was. I know very very little about motorcycles and mechanics, but I am happy to say I have figured out what a rear sprocket is, haha. MotoKirby offered to lend his expertise, labor, shop, and tools to help me service the bike and get the bike back to a riding style that suites my needs, and I could not have done any of this without him.

The first thing we did was change the oil. I used Amsoil 10w-40. I used about 1.6 quarts. I think that was slightly to much but O' well.

Next we decided to tackle removing the rear handbrake kit.

BEFORE:
Project: First Bike Ever Mc7_bm10

AFTER:
Project: First Bike Ever 00510

Project: First Bike Ever 01310
This is also for sale. PM me if you are interested.
Project: First Bike Ever 00610

Next thing we decided to do was change the back tire. I got Avon Distanzia 150/60R17 in the rear, and 120/70HR17 in the front.
BEFORE:
Project: First Bike Ever Mc9_bm10

AFTER:
Project: First Bike Ever 00711

Project: First Bike Ever 00910

Project: First Bike Ever 01610

We also cleaned the air filter with air filter cleaner. Then we put it infront of a fan to dry and once it was dry we covered in air filter oil. Then we put it back infront of the fan, and then wiped off the excess oil.
Project: First Bike Ever 00811

So all in alll here is what has been done since I bought the bike.

1)Stickers removed off the plastics
2) 50 Stunt Pegs Removed
3) Oil Changed
4) Air Filter Cleaned
5) Chain Lubricated
6) Rear tire changed
7) Rear handbrake kit removed (whole new rear brake bracket and caliper put on)

I think that's everything. Stay tuned because more is on the way!

Back to top Go down
fla2wnc

fla2wnc

PostSubject: Re: Project: First Bike Ever   Project: First Bike Ever EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 9:08 pm

id like to call dibbs on the handbrake if no one else has yet Pray
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Project: First Bike Ever   Project: First Bike Ever EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 9:42 pm

cheers see wasn't that bad wad it? For the oil just make sure the level is between the lines on the sight glass when the bike is vertical (not on the side stand). If its too full take some oil out, I suggest just undoing the filter cover and letting what's there drain out, running the bike briefly, then seeing where the level is. Too much oil is as bad as not enough almost.
Back to top Go down
btomp2008

btomp2008

PostSubject: Re: Project: First Bike Ever   Project: First Bike Ever EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 11:26 am

skierd wrote:
cheers see wasn't that bad wad it? For the oil just make sure the level is between the lines on the sight glass when the bike is vertical (not on the side stand). If its too full take some oil out, I suggest just undoing the filter cover and letting what's there drain out, running the bike briefly, then seeing where the level is. Too much oil is as bad as not enough almost.

Changing the oil and air filter wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Why do you say to much oil is such a bad thing? I've heard of people using more oil than the maximum before and they didn't have any problems.
Back to top Go down
btomp2008

btomp2008

PostSubject: Re: Project: First Bike Ever   Project: First Bike Ever EmptySun Feb 05, 2012 7:08 pm

Motokid and I did some more work on the bike. Thanks again Motokid!! Ok, here's some pictures and descriptions of what we did.

The first thing we did was change the front tire.

BEFORE:
Project: First Bike Ever Mc10_b10

AFTER:
Project: First Bike Ever 01210

Next we cut the chain and took off the ridiculously large 53 tooth sprocket. We put on a 47 tooth steel sprocket that I bought from sprocketcenter.com

BEFORE:
Project: First Bike Ever Mc8_bm11

AFTER:
Project: First Bike Ever 01110

We also put on some rear view mirrors. I bought the mirrors for like $35 for the pair at a local motorcycle shop. I really like the rear view mirrors when I'm riding.

BEFORE:
Project: First Bike Ever Mc4_bm10

AFTER:
Project: First Bike Ever 013_310

We also added some distilled water into where you put coolant because my coolant level was below the minimum line.

Well, that's all for now. Stay tuned for more.
Back to top Go down
Mikechicago

Mikechicago

PostSubject: Re: Project: First Bike Ever   Project: First Bike Ever EmptySun Feb 05, 2012 8:12 pm

Im thinking about getting those turn signals. Do you have a shot to see them from the back?
Back to top Go down
btomp2008

btomp2008

PostSubject: Re: Project: First Bike Ever   Project: First Bike Ever EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 12:14 pm

Mikechicago wrote:
Im thinking about getting those turn signals. Do you have a shot to see them from the back?

This is the best picture I have. I accidently kicked off the other turn signal getting on the bike, haha

Project: First Bike Ever 01710
Back to top Go down
bobbytohn

bobbytohn

PostSubject: Re: Project: First Bike Ever   Project: First Bike Ever EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 4:16 pm

how many set of mirrors did you buy?
the way you mounted them.... scratch looks easy to break them
Back to top Go down
chris07r6

PostSubject: Re: Project: First Bike Ever   Project: First Bike Ever EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 4:31 pm

btomp2008 wrote:
Mikechicago wrote:

This is the best picture I have. I accidently kicked off the other turn signal getting on the bike, haha

Project: First Bike Ever 01710

I have some stock parts laying around if you need any. Also if you want to get rid of the old rear brake setup or the stunt pegs im your huckleberry
Back to top Go down
btomp2008

btomp2008

PostSubject: Re: Project: First Bike Ever   Project: First Bike Ever EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 7:29 pm

bobbytohn wrote:

just bought one set. I put em on upside down because I like the way it looked. I see great out of them like that as well. IDK why you say they look easy to break...haven't had an issue with them so far or any near break experiences or anything like that

edit: already sold those stunt pegs and rear handbrake kit
Back to top Go down
bobbytohn

bobbytohn

PostSubject: Re: Project: First Bike Ever   Project: First Bike Ever EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 5:18 pm

btomp2008 wrote:
bobbytohn wrote:

just bought one set. I put em on upside down because I like the way it looked. I see great out of them like that as well. IDK why you say they look easy to break...haven't had an issue with them so far or any near break experiences or anything like that

i think they will break if you lay her down or drop her!!
Back to top Go down
btomp2008

btomp2008

PostSubject: Re: Project: First Bike Ever   Project: First Bike Ever EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 8:32 pm

bobbytohn wrote:
btomp2008 wrote:
bobbytohn wrote:

O, haha, yea i'm sure they will. i'm just hoping it doesnt happen
Back to top Go down
bobbytohn

bobbytohn

PostSubject: Re: Project: First Bike Ever   Project: First Bike Ever EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 11:55 pm

btomp2008 wrote:
bobbytohn wrote:
btomp2008 wrote:
bobbytohn wrote:

O, haha, yea i'm sure they will. i'm just hoping it doesnt happen

yea.. not tryin to sound like a dick haha just saying....
i know i would break them in a day haha uh check out my tread and how i mounted mine
Back to top Go down
btomp2008

btomp2008

PostSubject: FLAT BLACK!   Project: First Bike Ever EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 10:26 am

Just decided to do a flat black on my bike. I like it better than the stock gloss. I just sanded and buffed the plastics. Here are some pics!

Project: First Bike Ever Flatbl10

Project: First Bike Ever Flatbl11

Project: First Bike Ever Flatbl12
Back to top Go down
btomp2008

btomp2008

PostSubject: Random stuff   Project: First Bike Ever EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 10:31 am

Also got a blue billet lower chain guard

Project: First Bike Ever Lowr_c10

Sugar Free Red Bull Mod!

Project: First Bike Ever Redbul10
Back to top Go down
btomp2008

btomp2008

PostSubject: BLINKERS!   Project: First Bike Ever EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 10:37 am

Put on some front and rear LED blinkers. They were $30 for the pair and not worth it. Already having a lot of problems with the plastic part of them breaking and on one blinker the part that covers the lights fell off.

FRONT
Project: First Bike Ever Front_10

REAR: Also put a spacer so my exhaust wasn't touching my brake light

Project: First Bike Ever Rear_b10
Back to top Go down
xaman

PostSubject: Re: Project: First Bike Ever   Project: First Bike Ever EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 2:12 pm

Those plastics look great. What grit/grits sandpaper did you use? Can you tell us a little more about the procedure?
Back to top Go down
btomp2008

btomp2008

PostSubject: Re: Project: First Bike Ever   Project: First Bike Ever EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 3:12 pm

xaman wrote:
Those plastics look great. What grit/grits sandpaper did you use? Can you tell us a little more about the procedure?

thanks man. I've been trying a lot of stuff, but here's what i've done
I started with 600 wet sandpaper and sanded down the whole thing by hand with that
next I went to 800 and did the whole thing with that
then I did the whole thing with 1000
next I took a buffer and buffed the whole thing

After all that it looked good, but not great. there were still a few spots that looked kind of grayish. The spots were grey because I took a sander to get out some major scratches. I hit the grayish spots with a sand sponge (wasn't sure what grit but it was not fine at all haha) and that made them look worse and just scratched up the spots some more haha

i'm currently sanding down by hand with wet sander paper 1500 and 2000 grit
i'm just trying to work out those grey spots and blend everything together. i'm thinking because of using that sanding sponge that I mentioned earlier I might still have a few scratches on certain spots, but that doesn't bother me as long as the whole bike is flat black.

i'll post some more pictures of the completely finished product.

If I could do it all over again I wouldn't have even worried about the big scratches (took a power sander to those like I mentioned and it just made this gray color which is more annoying than the scratches were haha). If I was going to do it again I would have just started with 600 wet sand paper and worked my up to 2000.

edit: talked to a guy that works at a body shop and he suggested i work my way up to 5000 grit so i'm going to do that and i'll post more pictures of the finished product.

Last edited by btomp2008 on Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
xaman

PostSubject: Re: Project: First Bike Ever   Project: First Bike Ever EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 12:05 am

Thanks for the procedure. I'm wearing blue right now but keep considering black, and your flat black looks killer. Be sure to post follow up pics.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Project: First Bike Ever   Project: First Bike Ever Empty

Back to top Go down

Project: First Bike Ever
Page 1 of 1