Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

TORQUE RANT

Go down 
+8
sswrx
motocrossmann
oic0
pbnut
mucker
YZEtc
Chrispy1200
IAmABug
12 posters
AuthorMessage
IAmABug

TORQUE RANT Empty
PostSubject: TORQUE RANT   TORQUE RANT EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 4:01 pm

Torque. Our bikes don't have it. I see so many posts asking about pipes and torque, EXUP and torque. Torque torque torque. We ride a 280lb 250cc dirt bike. It is small nimble and easy to ride. It will get you where you need to go. It does highway speeds all day with no problems and will jump 70ft if you have the balls. It will carry 3 gear wheelies and some peeps can bounce it up in 5th. It's reliable. Looks sharp. Easy to work on. But no, it has very little torque. It's a 250cc. What did you expect. We could spend $10000 on it in mods, and it still wouldn't have torque. Love it for what it is. Buy the pipe, gears and bling you like and RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT.

My $0.02. Spring where are you.
Back to top Go down
Chrispy1200

Chrispy1200

TORQUE RANT Empty
PostSubject: Re: TORQUE RANT   TORQUE RANT EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 7:28 pm

A big enough rear sprocket will get you all the torque you want. Now finding a 135 tooth rear sprocket, that might be a challenge.... Very happy ..
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

TORQUE RANT Empty
PostSubject: Re: TORQUE RANT   TORQUE RANT EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 8:42 pm

I always felt that considering how strong the upper revs are, the low-end torque was not too shabby.
There are torquier 250 4-stroke singles out there, but they wouldn't have as much top end.
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

TORQUE RANT Empty
PostSubject: Re: TORQUE RANT   TORQUE RANT EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 8:54 pm

My personal thought is it has enough for me. I lug it through the first three gears with no problem. It will climb some pretty long hills. You have to hit the bottom fast, but it will carry it. I ride with a few buddies on XR650s, TE610s. I have no issue going where they go. Matter of fact, I am in the front a lot due to the nimbleness of the bike. Could it use more torque, always, but what vehicle doesn't. 
Back to top Go down
Chrispy1200

Chrispy1200

TORQUE RANT Empty
PostSubject: Re: TORQUE RANT   TORQUE RANT EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 9:14 pm

IAmABug wrote:
Could it use more torque, always, but what vehicle doesn't. 

I have modded ZRX1200 with 94 ft lbs of torque and I still would like a bit more. wink
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

TORQUE RANT Empty
PostSubject: Re: TORQUE RANT   TORQUE RANT EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 10:48 pm

My first bike was an 85 cr 125...that was 24 yrs ago.
Before i bought this bike, my second bike ever, I read that, if you treat it like a 125...it performs its best.
I bought it, and have treated it as such.
The bike has room for improvement...but blew my expectations away...
So, at this point, i think that advice suites me fine.
I have never had trouble stalling the bike...untill I switched from a 52 to 42 tooth sprocket....now the 42 isnt such a hassle.
Took a lil to get used to... but now i think i have my optimum ratio conthinkered...proly 13é46
But at my skill and style...all the torque iève wanted was there...and i bought it mostly for play.

at the moment, i would like a lighter bike, more than a torquier bike.

Last edited by mucker on Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

TORQUE RANT Empty
PostSubject: Re: TORQUE RANT   TORQUE RANT EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 10:58 pm

There's a fix for that now; the 306 kit. I love the bike as is, for what it is. 56 more cc's would just be icing on the cake!

One day. It will be mine.
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

TORQUE RANT Empty
PostSubject: Re: TORQUE RANT   TORQUE RANT EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 11:30 pm

One day I hope to double my powerétorque...and keep everything else.
So I look at 2 smoker ads and consider compromising.....thereès allot to give up, to join the 2t crowd...but definitely , the gain is tempting, to say the least.
Thank frig I got the wrr to hash that out.

How many bikes is enoughÉ
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

TORQUE RANT Empty
PostSubject: Re: TORQUE RANT   TORQUE RANT EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 11:33 am

If our bikes had the 13.5:1 compression a 250f has, they might make a bit more. Oh well.
Back to top Go down
motocrossmann

TORQUE RANT Empty
PostSubject: Re: TORQUE RANT   TORQUE RANT EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 1:44 pm

If I want my arms ripped out, I'll just hop on my CRF450. I purchased the X as a putter. It is an errand runner and turns out it can rail the corners and do just fine on an MX track. It really impresses the hell out of me how versatile this little bike is.
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

TORQUE RANT Empty
PostSubject: Re: TORQUE RANT   TORQUE RANT EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 1:45 pm

How about the MP Fab turbo? A little bit expensive but almost doubles the power of the WR. It's also a bolt on project instead of tearing the top end off like the big bore kits.

http://www.mpfab.com/wr250/
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

TORQUE RANT Empty
PostSubject: Re: TORQUE RANT   TORQUE RANT EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 2:14 pm

sswrx wrote:
How about the MP Fab turbo? A little bit expensive but almost doubles the power of the WR. It's also a bolt on project instead of tearing the top end off like the big bore kits.

http://www.mpfab.com/wr250/

As sweet as that would be, I keep wondering how much the bottom end can handle. Id like my bike to last... well... forever lol. Or atleast 100,000 miles without having to split the cases.
Back to top Go down
TBird1

TBird1

TORQUE RANT Empty
PostSubject: Re: TORQUE RANT   TORQUE RANT EmptySat Feb 04, 2012 8:47 pm

I use my WRR as my commuter now. I wouldn't change anything if it meant jeopardizing the 70 MPG this machine attains. My other bike weighs 525 lbs. and "only" gets about 45 MPG. Big torque numbers have other costs associated with them.
Back to top Go down
DoctorDR

DoctorDR

TORQUE RANT Empty
PostSubject: TOURQUE RANT   TORQUE RANT EmptySun Feb 05, 2012 3:39 pm

Ok here is the cheap and easy solution, if you bore out the jug, and squeeze one of these in, you get all the tourque PLUS, some nice hot java when breaking down camp on the TAT.....

TORQUE RANT 11629_jpg
Back to top Go down
zinx

zinx

TORQUE RANT Empty
PostSubject: Re: TORQUE RANT   TORQUE RANT EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 12:43 am

pbnut wrote:
There's a fix for that now; the 306 kit. I love the bike as is, for what it is. 56 more cc's would just be icing on the cake!

One day. It will be mine.

I agree that kit does look good and I'm pretty sure it would satisfy even the more skeptical riders. I, for one,am contemplating the much less expensive and "reliability conserving" Thumper Racing 280cc bigbore kit. I was talking with Travis and he mentioned the 280 kit was developped for the type of riders who purchase and own wr250r bikes. That is riders who want to keep their bikes reliable but wouldn't mind 40% more torque at 4000-5000 rpm and 11% more peak power. I like those numbers for 395$ US.

I've only read about one person here who installed that kit. I'd be interested in hearing more.

p.s. I know I've got a 250cc, but I'm still working on getting the torque up ;-)
Back to top Go down
matttys

matttys

TORQUE RANT Empty
PostSubject: Re: TORQUE RANT   TORQUE RANT EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 9:34 pm

Torque, who needs that? My WRR never strands me on the side of the trail. . . but for some reason I always pass those orange bikes that have too much torque and have spun the valve stem or poked a hole in their rear tire wink
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

TORQUE RANT Empty
PostSubject: Re: TORQUE RANT   TORQUE RANT EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 9:45 pm

matttys wrote:
Torque, who needs that? My WRR never strands me on the side of the trail. . . but for some reason I always pass those orange bikes that have too much torque and have spun the valve stem or poked a hole in their rear tire wink

I had a Toyota 4x4, that I eventually, used just for offroad. nothin special, but in decent shape.
Had a pile of fun with them ol' 31" tires...then I traded speakers for a decent set of tires.
Man, It worked great, for a bit...but seems, more traction, accelerated my maintenance schedule...if ya know what I mean.
That little truck had more fun spinning...
Anywho, I'm glad my bike seems to tolerate all I can stress it, even with good tires. Adds to the fun factor...if ya know what I mean?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

TORQUE RANT Empty
PostSubject: Re: TORQUE RANT   TORQUE RANT Empty

Back to top Go down

TORQUE RANT
Page 1 of 1