Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Starts and runs, when shifted in gear - dies...help

Go down 
+2
motokid
trigger33
6 posters
AuthorMessage
trigger33

Starts and runs, when shifted in gear - dies...help Empty
PostSubject: Starts and runs, when shifted in gear - dies...help   Starts and runs, when shifted in gear - dies...help EmptySun Mar 04, 2012 2:59 pm

It's 09 and kickstand switch is bypassed, gear switch/sensor is working fine...Is it possible it's one of the relays or maybe clutch switch? Need input from collective....thanks
Back to top Go down
trigger33

PostSubject: Re: Starts and runs, when shifted in gear - dies...help   Starts and runs, when shifted in gear - dies...help EmptySun Mar 04, 2012 4:10 pm

not a clutch switch related!
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Starts and runs, when shifted in gear - dies...help   Starts and runs, when shifted in gear - dies...help EmptySun Mar 04, 2012 4:30 pm

Did you just do the kickstand switch bypass?

I'd check that whole situation.

Sounds exactly like what should happen if you click into gear with side-stand down.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
trigger33

PostSubject: Re: Starts and runs, when shifted in gear - dies...help   Starts and runs, when shifted in gear - dies...help EmptySun Mar 04, 2012 6:51 pm

Checked kickstand deal - no issues
Still puzzled
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Starts and runs, when shifted in gear - dies...help   Starts and runs, when shifted in gear - dies...help EmptySun Mar 04, 2012 10:14 pm

How long has the bypass been there? Did yo just do it? Or has it been that way for a long time?

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
trigger33

PostSubject: Re: Starts and runs, when shifted in gear - dies...help   Starts and runs, when shifted in gear - dies...help EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 8:34 am

was there for a while...
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Starts and runs, when shifted in gear - dies...help   Starts and runs, when shifted in gear - dies...help EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 9:03 am

Can you describe exactly what's happening?

Can you start bike in gear with clutch pulled in?

Does bike die the second you tap gear shift into gear, or when you apply throttle and start to let clutch out?

Are you sure your clutch cable doesn't need adjusting?

Somewhere around this forum is a thread on a bike dying.
There's a plug behind the radiator that if loose does strange things.

I would still triple and quadruple check the wires for kickstand switch.

Make sure they haven't rubbed through and are shorting some place.

It sounds like the bike thinks the kick-stand is down.

Unless there's other details you can pass along.... dunno dunno

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Starts and runs, when shifted in gear - dies...help   Starts and runs, when shifted in gear - dies...help EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 9:47 am

Sticky...damn....

click me <-- finally found it.... a sticky for pete's sake...

baldy baldy baldy baldy

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
trigger33

PostSubject: Re: Starts and runs, when shifted in gear - dies...help   Starts and runs, when shifted in gear - dies...help EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 1:14 pm

I will check that plug...meanwhile....this is the whole picture...
Bike is on stand, wheels removed (changing tires)...
Ignition key in ON position, lights up/gauges fine/fuel pump primes.
It's in neutral, i'm able to start the bike (without clutch lever engaged), runs and revs fine. Moment
i engage clutch and shift into gear - instantly dies. Neutral sensor works (in neutral lights up N light, when in gear - doesn't - not sure if that is indication of being 100% operational) No faulty codes on gauges whatsoever....
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Starts and runs, when shifted in gear - dies...help   Starts and runs, when shifted in gear - dies...help EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 2:06 pm

Have you tried starting bike while in gear, but with the clutch pulled in?

Edit to add: So, I just went out in my garage and checked.

It is possible to start the wr250x when in first gear with the clutch pulled in.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: Starts and runs, when shifted in gear - dies...help   Starts and runs, when shifted in gear - dies...help EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 5:21 pm

My vote is for chaffed wires from the kickstand switch. Trace them bastards back to the ECU and make sure they are still in good shape.
Back to top Go down
Daamud

Daamud

PostSubject: Re: Starts and runs, when shifted in gear - dies...help   Starts and runs, when shifted in gear - dies...help EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 5:54 pm

Arkmage wrote:
My vote is for chaffed wires from the kickstand switch. Trace them bastards back to the ECU and make sure they are still in good shape.

+ 1 on the kickstand swicth wires.

Also, don't overlook something silly.

I chased a KTM carb problem for a couple months. Everytime I stood the bike up off the side stand, it would pop and fart. I swore up and down it was in the carb.

The night I gave up on pulling the carb apart (8 times), and replaced it with new. I found a short in the wires coming off the handle bars. When I would lean the bike up, I would turn the bars straight at the sametime, creating the short baldy
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Starts and runs, when shifted in gear - dies...help   Starts and runs, when shifted in gear - dies...help EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 6:16 pm

Also - I just checked this.

With bike on side stand, in gear, and clutch pulled in.....won't start.

So if you're bike, with no wheels, on center stand, and in gear, won't start with clutch pulled in and side stand up....I'd look at that by-pass and the wires.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
trigger33

PostSubject: Re: Starts and runs, when shifted in gear - dies...help   Starts and runs, when shifted in gear - dies...help EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 7:31 pm

Please try this:
Bike in Neutral, kickstand up (if you have a switch), ignition ON and without pulling a clutch try starting the bike.
I can start it like that....can you?
(going to check that mother..)
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Starts and runs, when shifted in gear - dies...help   Starts and runs, when shifted in gear - dies...help EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 10:37 pm

trigger33 wrote:
Please try this:
Bike in Neutral, kickstand up (if you have a switch), ignition ON and without pulling a clutch try starting the bike.

Mine starts like that with no issues.

Just tried it.

Again.... can you start yours in gear with clutch pulled in???????

baldy

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
trigger33

PostSubject: Re: Starts and runs, when shifted in gear - dies...help   Starts and runs, when shifted in gear - dies...help EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 9:05 am

In gear and clutch pulled in - nothing happening. Fuel Pump works, gauges light up but nothing....
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Starts and runs, when shifted in gear - dies...help   Starts and runs, when shifted in gear - dies...help EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 9:42 am

motokid wrote:
Have you tried starting bike while in gear, but with the clutch pulled in?

Edit to add: So, I just went out in my garage and checked.

It is possible to start the wr250x when in first gear with the clutch pulled in.

motokid wrote:
Also - I just checked this.

With bike on side stand, in gear, and clutch pulled in.....won't start.

So if you're bike, with no wheels, on center stand, and in gear, won't start with clutch pulled in and side stand up....I'd look at that by-pass and the wires.

motokid wrote:
trigger33 wrote:
Please try this:

Mine starts like that with no issues.

Just tried it.

Again.... can you start yours in gear with clutch pulled in???????

baldy

trigger33 wrote:
In gear and clutch pulled in - nothing happening. Fuel Pump works, gauges light up but nothing....

Check the kick-stand by-pass, and then trace the wires from that by-pass all the way back to where-ever they end.

What you've stated, and what I did with my bike shows that your bike assumes kick-stand is down when you click into gear.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Fuzzy Wrench

Fuzzy Wrench

PostSubject: Re: Starts and runs, when shifted in gear - dies...help   Starts and runs, when shifted in gear - dies...help EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 3:01 am

check the starting circuit cut-off relay (behind the rear left shroud, where that exup wiring exists)...
without removing it, jump the Blue/Yellow wire and the Blue/Green wire, effectively bypassing the kickstand/clutch/neutral combo...
if it works, the relay is at fault...if it doesn't, this is a good time to confirm that the kickstand switch bypass is good (Blue/Green to ground)...
remember to remove the jumper when done! or else the bike will start in gear-no clutch...
Back to top Go down
trigger33

PostSubject: Re: Starts and runs, when shifted in gear - dies...help   Starts and runs, when shifted in gear - dies...help EmptySat Mar 10, 2012 11:41 am

Fuzzy Wrench wrote:
check the starting circuit cut-off relay (behind the rear left shroud, where that exup wiring exists)...
without removing it, jump the Blue/Yellow wire and the Blue/Green wire, effectively bypassing the kickstand/clutch/neutral combo...
if it works, the relay is at fault...if it doesn't, this is a good time to confirm that the kickstand switch bypass is good (Blue/Green to ground)...
remember to remove the jumper when done! or else the bike will start in gear-no clutch...

I just did (another) BYPASS per your instructions....and it worked! Bike starts in Neutral, clutch IN, shift in gear - still runs!!! Looks like we have a faulty relay...and best place to get it fast IS?
Thank you all for your input and time spent on figuring this one out....
Just installed BFN 244's and can't wait to hurt myself!

Starts and runs, when shifted in gear - dies...help X-by11
Back to top Go down
cjard

PostSubject: Re: Starts and runs, when shifted in gear - dies...help   Starts and runs, when shifted in gear - dies...help EmptyThu Apr 26, 2012 7:26 am

Tip fir future. Instead of skinning wires like that (leads to corrosion/oxidation of the wire and poor electrical performance) just get a jumper wire skinned at both ends and poke them into the holes in the back of the multi plug where the normal wires go in

Make sure you tape those skinned sections up well to reduce water and dirt ingress
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Starts and runs, when shifted in gear - dies...help   Starts and runs, when shifted in gear - dies...help Empty

Back to top Go down

Starts and runs, when shifted in gear - dies...help
Page 1 of 1