Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

New Billet Cargo Rack Available

Go down 
+96
Klymax
wwguy
dicklane625
ToddDubya
kabulpostie
Leo167
manybikes
fijiman
speersie
voicecraft
MjrD
Jäger
sehah
twinrider
DWK
vodka
Wanderer
wjfawb0
PortlandWRider
nsrider
vnp514
jawn
TheCycle
AZNoob
Drifter Dave
f3joel
Lord Hornka
nolowatt
rsteiger
hyperboarder
raymondhenson
lineguy
dirtjunkie
bluzharp
rideblue
WR25RY
Wrex250
yamaMOTOyama
aw113sgte
nozzle
mordicai
Rusty Shovel
Crabbuckle
miniceptor86
Nine Ways
TinyL
jec
808BMW
sswrx
Opie
Sewcrates
StreetGhost
sikwilly
wristpin
Nanabijou
TrailDust&SaddleLthr
Rockmantex
Camdlux
xaman
Corndogs
Mr. Fisherman
oldmansurfing
Pokey
Alan Case
bracky72
derverla
paknet
nwbase
JustWannaRide
mcwbyu82
Brianr4
Monkeynuts
Blackdog
motocrossmann
zag300zx
Arkmage
croc
bmwrider1946
Curbhopper
Me2
WRXR
IAmABug
Gany
jkstehn
sturgeon
GsVs
jason meacham
lenzhotrod
Coop
craigq
gatorfan
PYG RYDR
yaw
motokid
Chrispy1200
Jnscaggs
100 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
GsVs

New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: There's room ...   New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 12:16 pm

Since just using the mount - without the plate with the pockets that adds height (see your first picture above) -- there is plenty of room for the bolt heads on top -- I used 6mm which fit thru the threaded section at the bottom of the mount ... 6mm seems plenty strong enough

and yes two sets of holes so the RotoPax could be mounted either way would be the way to go - so the rider can choose which way he wants to mount it ...

New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 3 WR-Rack3

New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 3 WR-RackRPS3

New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 3 WR-RackRPL2

Last edited by GsVs on Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sturgeon

sturgeon

PostSubject: Re: New Billet Cargo Rack Available    New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 12:23 pm

GsVs wrote:
Since just using the mount - without the plate with the pockets that adds height (see your first picture above) -- there is plenty of room for the bolt heads on top -- I used 6mm which fit thru the threaded section at the bottom of the mount ... 6mm seems plenty strong enough

Yup, you're right, I just stuck the container back on the mount, and there's lots of room for a bolt head. Is there any "slop" in the hole with the 6mm bolt? The hole's about 8mm at the top. Neither of the racks I use this on are thick enough to thread, so I just bolt it on from the bottom.
Back to top Go down
Jnscaggs

Jnscaggs

PostSubject: Re: New Billet Cargo Rack Available    New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 12:26 pm

thanks for clearing that up for me Larry I did not notice that you were able to bolt those on from the top or bottom. I did however omit the large round mounting plate from my design.

It seems that doing the Rotopax mount is going to be entirely do-able then with only drilling and tapping two holes in the center ridge. I only would be able to orient the mount inline with the bike because there isn't anywhere else to place holes in the existing material for a sideways mount.

As for the Givi adapter plate... it could have the multi-directional rotopax mounting holes also, using the threads in the rotopax instead of running bolts the other way.... as well as serve as a bigger overall carrying surface.

... I would have to have some sort of idea how many of you guys would actually be interested in one before I order aluminum and make a stack of them.

So I guess I could turn this into a 2 options part.

1. I might as well drill all remaining racks for inline roto mount
2. add a secondary plate for more rotopax options and the givi lugs mounting holes.

If i get a chance i will try to cut out a paper thin aluminum example today and post up a picture so you guys will know exactly what i have in mind
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: New Billet Cargo Rack Available    New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 2:00 pm

I'm down for the GIVI adapter plate concept. When I'm not commuting I'd prefer not to carry around the larger footprint rack.
Back to top Go down
Jnscaggs

Jnscaggs

PostSubject: first Big Rack with Givi and RotoPax prototype    New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 2:57 pm

Here is an idea for a new rack that is based on the smaller one it is only .062" thick and just for getting a view

New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 3 Big_ra10
New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 3 Big_ra11
Back to top Go down
Jnscaggs

Jnscaggs

PostSubject: Re: New Billet Cargo Rack Available    New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 3:41 pm

I don't know if i made it clear that this is just the visual prototype and the actual rack would be 1/2 like the others, also on a side note the overall shape of this prototype is the same as the adapter plate that i had in mind. the adapter plate however probably wouldn't have so many windows cut out of it because I would make it out of 3/16 or 1/4 at most.
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: New Billet Cargo Rack Available    New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 4:35 pm

I would rock that full size rack. That's pretty damn good looking.
Back to top Go down
sturgeon

sturgeon

PostSubject: Re: New Billet Cargo Rack Available    New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 6:13 pm

Jnscaggs wrote:
Here is an idea for a new rack that is based on the smaller one it is only .062" thick and just for getting a view

I might be interested in that, assuming I'm guessing correctly that the 4 extra holes around the center allow for mounting a Rotopax either longitudinally or crosswise. I assume it'll cost more?
Back to top Go down
Jnscaggs

Jnscaggs

PostSubject: Re: New Billet Cargo Rack Available    New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 7:07 pm

I nested the parts to see exactly how the extra size was going to lay out in the material. The smaller yield will bring the price up. I would be comfortable with 150+ 10 for shipping for a big rack and 120 +10 for the smaller rack. If you guys show enough interest I will order more aluminum tomorrow. But I am borrowing Larry's rotopax and givi stuff this weekend to get it all figured out and make sure everything is in the right place.

Back to top Go down
GsVs

PostSubject: Re: New Billet Cargo Rack Available    New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 9:22 pm

sturgeon wrote:
GsVs wrote:

Yup, you're right, I just stuck the container back on the mount, and there's lots of room for a bolt head. Is there any "slop" in the hole with the 6mm bolt? The hole's about 8mm at the top. Neither of the racks I use this on are thick enough to thread, so I just bolt it on from the bottom.

"Slop" .... not really .... and once you tighten the bolts its solid ...
Back to top Go down
GsVs

PostSubject: Re: New Billet Cargo Rack Available    New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 10:34 pm

I would add a couple of slots at the front and rear .... tons of rear bags strap front to back ... like most of the Wolfman bags ...

New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 3 Ridgeline_plus

New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 3 Enduro_duffel

New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 3 Pb152078

Jnscaggs wrote:

New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 3 Big_ra10
Back to top Go down
Jnscaggs

Jnscaggs

PostSubject: Re: New Billet Cargo Rack Available    New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 10:50 pm

More slots in the front and rear are do-able.
By the way Larry I think we could be at your house as early as 6 depending on traffic if that's too early just let me know

Also side note to you guys whom I've already sold racks to, I would be willing to mod any of those racks for an inline rotopax mount if send me 10 bucks to help cover the return shipping.

I am starting to like the idea of 2 different racks to offer so I'll go ahead and plan on building some of the larger version racks next week.
Back to top Go down
zag300zx

PostSubject: Re: New Billet Cargo Rack Available    New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 1:30 am

I'm still in for the smaller version with the Rotopax mounting holes. Just picked up a WRR today!
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: New Billet Cargo Rack Available    New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 8:18 pm

FYI ... I was able to mount my AMS rack nearly flush to the fender and simply push the fender down on the spacers to create enough space to feed the Rotopax bolts in from underneath.
Back to top Go down
Jnscaggs

Jnscaggs

PostSubject: RotoPax Ready    New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 10:44 pm

I have the RotoPax in hand now (Thanks Larry!) to do the test fit and I think it all looks good. I was able to squeeze in both inline and perpendicular mount holes so the Pax can go either way.
The tank in the picture is a 1 gallon

I can add to these holes to any rack I have built up to this point and will add them to any new rack I sell in the future. I have six of these racks left that are ready to ship Monday so let me know what you guys think.

Also I have the Givi Monokey case in hand also thanks to Larry, And will be building a new Big rack to support that compatibility, as well as the Rotopax.
I should have those done in the next week or so. I think it is going to be a really sweet peice.

New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 3 Rotora11
New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 3 Rotora12
New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 3 Rotora13
Back to top Go down
WRXR

WRXR

PostSubject: Re: New Billet Cargo Rack Available    New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 11:37 pm

This is nice, but are you sure this will be strong enough to hold a full rotopax while racing and jumping thru the backwoods? I'd like some reinforcements there, like a crossbar, or a thicker middle 'beam'. See pic.

I might be just paranoid though.

New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 3 20120331-xj7r53q84inahuyej3ds6kjfc3.previewClick for large view - Uploaded with Skitch
Back to top Go down
Jnscaggs

Jnscaggs

PostSubject: Re: New Billet Cargo Rack Available    New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 11:55 pm

Yes I guarantee that no amount of thrashing will break the pack loose. I put a strap through that middle beam and around the handlebars and lifted the bike off the ground with a fork truck, also remember that the plate is 1/2 inch thick.

If anyone manages to break it I will redesign it and send you a new one on me.
Back to top Go down
Jnscaggs

Jnscaggs

PostSubject: Better Pictures of the RotoPax   New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 31, 2012 6:05 pm

New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 3 Photo_10
New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 3 Photo11
New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 3 Photo_12
New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 3 Photo_13
Back to top Go down
motocrossmann

PostSubject: Re: New Billet Cargo Rack Available    New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 31, 2012 6:14 pm

Wow. If motorcycle parts are jewelry for men, then that thing is easily a diamond engagement ring. Any smart ladies in this forum looking to get hitched? Buy one of these, get down on one knee, and you are good to go.
Back to top Go down
Blackdog

Blackdog

PostSubject: Re: New Billet Cargo Rack Available    New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 01, 2012 1:02 am

Could you make a wider style like the one I posted in the thread below "Blackdogs WRR build"? Also, can I just buy your mounting kit separately? I love your attention to detail and high quality.
Back to top Go down
Jnscaggs

Jnscaggs

PostSubject: Re: New Billet Cargo Rack Available    New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 01, 2012 1:38 am

Yes I do plan on making a second, larger rack that will include Givi monokey mounting points and rotopax compatability. I will hopefully have the first ones made before Tuesday. If you look up at a previous post I had a picture of a thin 2D prototype that is about 75% similar to the final version. The outer perimeter will be the same but many other tweaks have been made. Keep an eye out for it because I'll post it as soon as I have some made.
Back to top Go down
Monkeynuts

PostSubject: Re: New Billet Cargo Rack Available    New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 01, 2012 6:28 am

baldy Wish I'd of known about the rack with the slots before having one sent to the uk baldy
Back to top Go down
Jnscaggs

Jnscaggs

PostSubject: Re: New Billet Cargo Rack Available    New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 01, 2012 8:56 am

Hey John, I can put slots and even rotopax holes in your rack for you if you send it back to me.
Back to top Go down
Brianr4

Brianr4

PostSubject: Install tip   New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 01, 2012 10:52 am

Don't be a fool like myself!

When installing the rack, make sure the wire harness leading to the rear of bike does not get pinched by the spacers!
Those wires also control the instrument cluster and starter!

I smashed 2 of the wire harnesses and had to do some repairs!
Back to top Go down
Monkeynuts

PostSubject: Re: New Billet Cargo Rack Available    New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 01, 2012 12:57 pm

Hi jared, Its not really worth sending it back to you for it to be modified. I can run a tap down through to holes and make clips to hold my straps. Thanks John thumb
Ps really dose look a thousand times better than the Yamaha rack with great customer service.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Billet Cargo Rack Available    New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

New Billet Cargo Rack Available
Page 3 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next