Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Auto Clutch Dream

Go down 
+4
Elessar
dtx
Arkmage
dewtwo
8 posters
AuthorMessage
dewtwo

Auto Clutch Dream Empty
PostSubject: Auto Clutch Dream   Auto Clutch Dream EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 12:32 pm

Sorry if I'm beating an old horse here, but I still want a simple auto clutch.
Revloc is going out of the clutch business.
Sooo.... I spoke with a good man at Rekluse about The EXP clutch ring that they do not make for the R/X
at this time, but he gave indication that with enough interest, they would consider it!!!!

He was nice enough to take my name and #. I also told him about this forum that he checked out on his
computer while we were on the phone.

Sooo.... Get on their web site, see if you like that EXP clutch ring, and call or email them.
Let's light a fire under their butt!!!!
Dave
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

Auto Clutch Dream Empty
PostSubject: Re: Auto Clutch Dream   Auto Clutch Dream EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 1:56 pm

What's wrong with the EFM besides the price?
Back to top Go down
dewtwo

Auto Clutch Dream Empty
PostSubject: Re: Auto Clutch Dream   Auto Clutch Dream EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 11:53 am

Arkmage wrote:
What's wrong with the EFM besides the price?

Do you have one?
If so, what's your thoughts!
I spoke with the man. I must send him my clutch, he will rework it into an auto-clutch & send it back
for $625 + shipping and about a week turn around time.

I assume I'll not have the ability to convert back to a standard clutch w/o purchasing stock clutch parts!

That EXP clutch kit sounds easier/cheaper/more convenient.
They just need to design one, shouldn't be a big deal for them, they'll sell well!

Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

Auto Clutch Dream Empty
PostSubject: Re: Auto Clutch Dream   Auto Clutch Dream EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 5:59 pm

be nice if a dyna-ring fit on these
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

Auto Clutch Dream Empty
PostSubject: Re: Auto Clutch Dream   Auto Clutch Dream EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 9:51 pm

Do a search. Another dude bought an EFM recently and is really happy with it. I haven't got one myself but am thinking about putting an autoclutch on the 2-smoke.
Back to top Go down
Elessar

Elessar

Auto Clutch Dream Empty
PostSubject: Re: Auto Clutch Dream   Auto Clutch Dream EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 2:22 pm

I just contact EFM to confirm that they can fit the WRR. Looks like a winner to me. I'm thinking about my VStrom.
Back to top Go down
D28NY

D28NY

Auto Clutch Dream Empty
PostSubject: Re: Auto Clutch Dream   Auto Clutch Dream EmptyTue May 01, 2012 12:57 am

Can someone break this down into terms that an idiot (me) would understand? Shog

Is it exactly like what it sounds like? Something to make the bike an "automatic"? Or does it just remove the need for clutching, but you still need to manually change gears?
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

Auto Clutch Dream Empty
PostSubject: Re: Auto Clutch Dream   Auto Clutch Dream EmptyTue May 01, 2012 9:01 am

D28NY wrote:
Can someone break this down into terms that an idiot (me) would understand? Shog

Is it exactly like what it sounds like? Something to make the bike an "automatic"? Or does it just remove the need for clutching, but you still need to manually change gears?

I havent looked at the EFM but most auto clutches just auto engage the clutch as RPMs climb and auto disengages when you let off the gas. Your lever also still works usually for when you need manual control. I would like one for my KX because it has a very stuff clutch. They're also great on kicker bikes in the woods or dangerous terrain because the bike becomes darn near impossible to stall as the clutch will auto disengage. WR has such a light clutch and a magic button I never considered it but I guess if you have RSI hand / wrist injuries or arthritis it would be a godsend.
Back to top Go down
Elessar

Elessar

Auto Clutch Dream Empty
PostSubject: Re: Auto Clutch Dream   Auto Clutch Dream EmptyTue May 01, 2012 11:10 am

oic0: You've hit it exactly. You still need to shift, but the clutch pull becomes lighter for times when you want to clutch manually. This option has become more popular because it allows the bike to function while the rider simply drives. I lifted the following text from the EFM web site:

One of the biggest questions asked is what does it do and do I have to shift. The auto clutch engages your manual clutch when your engine rpms increase and then releases back at idle. You still have engine braking down to idle and when taking off when done normally, it even sounds like you are letting out the clutch. You can still use the manual clutch lever but with zero pull at idle and 1 finger pull up to about half the engine rpm. You have more holding power with the EFM auto clutch than any other type on the market. 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th gear burnouts can be done with ease. You still have to shift, you can use the manual clutch to shift, or just relax the throttle to up shift, and blip to down shift.

THERE IS NO DISADVANTAGE TO THE EFM AUTO CLUTCH!

There is no worry about stalling in traffic or holding in the clutch lever while sitting for a traffic light. This is a must for jockey shift bikes. If you are an experienced rider than take advantage of the way you can accelerate from a green light. If you are a new rider, you will ride with the confidence of just being able to twist the throttle and go, even if you're on a hill, or just turning around in a tight area. The harder you twist the throttle, the harder the clutch will lock up. Great for trikes and disabled riders.
Back to top Go down
mpatch

Auto Clutch Dream Empty
PostSubject: Re: Auto Clutch Dream   Auto Clutch Dream EmptyWed May 02, 2012 7:21 pm

I have an EFM auto clutch on mine. Took a bit of work to get it sorted out. I bought it from a member here with the bike but he wasn't too swift. I had to do a little custom work on the rear brake pedal to get the clearance needed due the spacer that pushes out the clutch cover about 1/3". PM me if you have any questions. I spoke with the owner of EFM (who was more than helpful) a few times to get a chatter problem fixed (p.o. had glazed the clutch). So a few hours of resurfacing the plates and all is well, no more chatter. I have only had the bike for about 10 days but I am getting used to the whole auto clutch thing. So far the only downside I have found is that when downshifting if you use the clutch you have to blip the throttle to get it to engage again. If you get one let me now and I can shoot a few pics of my modified rear brake lever. That was just one of the many issues I have found on this bike. Some people should never touch a wrench. The list so far: missing header gasket, glazed rear brakes due the pedal issue, glazed clutch (maybe due to the pedal issue?), overinflated tires, both wheel about 5oz out of balance due to the tubliss system which made for a terrible ride above 30 mph, missing drain plug washer and I think thats about all that I have found thus far. Back to the auto clutch....so far I love it now that I got the chatter fixed.

BTW the clutch doesnt disengage when you let off of the gas, it only disengages when you pull the lever or rpm's drop below the lock up point, so yes you can still use engine braking you just need to blip the throttle after downshifting (if you use the lever) to get the rpm's back up past the lock up limit
Back to top Go down
Marioscario

Auto Clutch Dream Empty
PostSubject: Re: Auto Clutch Dream   Auto Clutch Dream EmptyThu May 03, 2012 12:19 am

Hi All. A buddy of mine has a KTM with a recluse and he's pretty happy with it. I've never ridden a bike with an autoclutch...but... there may be a couple of potential drawbacks. One- I don't believe you can bump start a bike with an autoclutch. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. The R2's a pretty damn reliable steed so it may not be an issue anyways. Two-When I stall the bike in a really ugly steep section of trail, it's kinda handy to position yourself, then with the bike in gear, hit the estart and push the bike up a few feet until it stalls. Since the bike's still in gear, it doesn't roll downhill, especially with a little front brake. I rest if needed. Then I reposition myself and do it again until I get to decent spot to remount and go. As I mentioned, I haven't tried an autoclutch equipped bike. On a steep ugly trail, will an autoclutch bike roll backwards when idling?

PS- I actually have autoclutch envy. I'm just a bit short of mod cash. If I did get one, I'd probably look at swapping the clutch lever for a rear brake lever set up. I've read a couple of good articles about the mod. Controlling both brakes independently with levers definitely works well on my mountain bike in the crappy stuff.
Back to top Go down
mpatch

Auto Clutch Dream Empty
PostSubject: Re: Auto Clutch Dream   Auto Clutch Dream EmptyThu May 03, 2012 12:51 am

Marioscario wrote:
Hi All. A buddy of mine has a KTM with a recluse and he's pretty happy with it. I've never ridden a bike with an autoclutch...but... there may be a couple of potential drawbacks. One- I don't believe you can bump start a bike with an autoclutch. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. The R2's a pretty damn reliable steed so it may not be an issue anyways. Two-When I stall the bike in a really ugly steep section of trail, it's kinda handy to position yourself, then with the bike in gear, hit the estart and push the bike up a few feet until it stalls. Since the bike's still in gear, it doesn't roll downhill, especially with a little front brake. I rest if needed. Then I reposition myself and do it again until I get to decent spot to remount and go. As I mentioned, I haven't tried an autoclutch equipped bike. On a steep ugly trail, will an autoclutch bike roll backwards when idling?

PS- I actually have autoclutch envy. I'm just a bit short of mod cash. If I did get one, I'd probably look at swapping the clutch lever for a rear brake lever set up. I've read a couple of good articles about the mod. Controlling both brakes independently with levers definitely works well on my mountain bike in the crappy stuff.
f

you are correct on #1 no bump starting on #2 thats the beauty of the auto clutch, you cant stall but you could burn up your clutch if you were in the totally wrong gear like being in 5th when you should have been in 2nd

say you hit a hill in 3rd when you should have been in 2nd and half way up you run out of power and downshifting would just kill your momentum, with a auto clutch it would just slip (same as if you were really good a feathering the clutch) until you let off of the throttle or you got the rpms up enough to get full lock up

almost forgot the only other drawback, the bike is always in nuetral when not running and at idle so parking on hills can be a problem
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

Auto Clutch Dream Empty
PostSubject: Re: Auto Clutch Dream   Auto Clutch Dream EmptyThu May 03, 2012 11:47 am

mpatch wrote:

almost forgot the only other drawback, the bike is always in nuetral when not running and at idle so parking on hills can be a problem

For parking on hills... get one of these beauties. Auto Clutch Dream 61012016000
Back to top Go down
Marioscario

Auto Clutch Dream Empty
PostSubject: Re: Auto Clutch Dream   Auto Clutch Dream EmptyThu May 03, 2012 8:47 pm

Having to carry that lil gizmo around seems like a hassle (no offense Arkmage). I'd be more concerned about the unplanned stops on steeper hills in the dirt where you need the weight of the rear for it to stay put. Maybe it's only a problem cuz I'm either picking hills that are to hard or I'm not as good as I liked to think I am.....haha. However, the guys who have them seem to love them. I suppose it depends on what type of riding you do. Hoefully I'll get to try one this summer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Auto Clutch Dream Empty
PostSubject: Re: Auto Clutch Dream   Auto Clutch Dream Empty

Back to top Go down

Auto Clutch Dream
Page 1 of 1