Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Crap! I overfilled the oil ....

Go down 
+8
foofighter
sewerat
f3joel
deerHater
RattTongue
pbnut
motokid
zone47
12 posters
AuthorMessage
zone47

zone47

Crap!  I overfilled the oil .... Empty
PostSubject: Crap! I overfilled the oil ....   Crap!  I overfilled the oil .... EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 12:59 pm

... it didn't look like any was in the window when in fact is was already full! scratch

what will happen if it's just a little bit too full ? Oil is good, right? The motor should be happy it's getting more than it even needs! bannana
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Crap! I overfilled the oil ....   Crap!  I overfilled the oil .... EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 1:25 pm

No. Oil and heat equal pressure.

I believe you risk pushing oil past seals which is not a good thing.

I am not a mechanic, nor have I any direct experience with this issue.

My suggestion however would be to loosed the oil filter cover bolts a tiny bit each until some oil starts draining out. Collect it in a plastic cup.

Then re-tighten bolts and make sure you are within the lines on the sight window.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Crap! I overfilled the oil ....   Crap!  I overfilled the oil .... EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 1:37 pm

I would drain enough to get the oil level down to a normal reading. Too much oil could raise crankcase pressure to excessive levels, possibly resulting in a blown seal -- like the one behind the gear shift shaft. It might also blow the cylinder base gasket.

Some people will tell you the only negative impact might be a bit of oil in the airbox. That is just a minor side effect, IMO. There is always a risk of bigger, more serious problems.

Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

PostSubject: Re: Crap! I overfilled the oil ....   Crap!  I overfilled the oil .... EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 2:27 pm

There is a vent on the head that should prevent pressurizing the crankcase at all. We can all agree that overfilling isn't a good thing and should be remedied at your earliest convenience.

Loosen the drain bolt, let the oil run all over your hand, and thread it back in when you can see the level in the window.

Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Crap! I overfilled the oil ....   Crap!  I overfilled the oil .... EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 10:05 am

You could also use that shitty "bleeder bolt" thingy to drain oil out.... hide hide hide

messy and dirty process though..... eeek

How much "extra" oil do you think you put in?

Did you put in a full two quarts?
Were you pouring out of a gallon sized container and you have no idea how much extra is in there?

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
RattTongue

PostSubject: Re: Crap! I overfilled the oil ....   Crap!  I overfilled the oil .... EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 10:25 am

If it was me I would just drain it all out and re-fill. I mean its only a couple of dollars worth of oil.
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: Re: Crap! I overfilled the oil ....   Crap!  I overfilled the oil .... EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 12:54 pm

RattTongue wrote:
If it was me I would just drain it all out and re-fill. I mean its only a couple of dollars worth of oil.
Why not drain it and, assuming it's fresh oil, put it back in? A little less this time. Very happy
Back to top Go down
f3joel

f3joel

PostSubject: Re: Crap! I overfilled the oil ....   Crap!  I overfilled the oil .... EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 2:09 pm

I have run a lil over, never over the sight glass when straight up though.
If you just have a lil bit to take out an old squirt bottle works fairly well.
Stick the stem down the oil fill and squirt it out
Back to top Go down
sewerat

PostSubject: Re: Crap! I overfilled the oil ....   Crap!  I overfilled the oil .... EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 2:22 pm

A tube stuck on the end of a big syringe stuck down the fill hole? Not sure if it would work but would be less of a mess. I have one that is 60cc that I use for filling the FD on urals.
Back to top Go down
zone47

zone47

PostSubject: Re: Crap! I overfilled the oil ....   Crap!  I overfilled the oil .... EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 12:39 pm

RattTongue wrote:
It was like a quart and a half lurk It's been cold outside, so I haven't fired it up since. Sleep

I'll probably just clean the bottom of the engine real good and then drain it back into a clean pot or something ... dddog
Back to top Go down
foofighter

foofighter

PostSubject: Re: Crap! I overfilled the oil ....   Crap!  I overfilled the oil .... EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 11:02 am

The easiest way would be to just place a oil pan under the drain plug. Then put on a rubber gloves if you don't want oil all over yourself. Loosen the drain plug but keep pressure on it to stop oil from leaking out. Then quickly let out a small stream of oil and stick the bolt back in the hole. If you're quick you shouldn't get too much oil on yourself...I used to change oil for a living and we did that all the time if we accidentally overfilled. No need to drain out all the oil.
Back to top Go down
Just Bob

Just Bob

PostSubject: Re: Crap! I overfilled the oil ....   Crap!  I overfilled the oil .... EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 12:49 am

f3joel wrote:
an old squirt bottle works fairly well.
Stick the stem down the oil fill and squirt it out

Never would of thought of that. Genius. I use a turkey baster with some hose stuck on the end. Turkey gives me gas.

Problem with overfilling is the oil gets whipped and aerated by the crank and it breaks it down faster. Plus cranks don't spin good when swimming.
Back to top Go down
wingnut

wingnut

PostSubject: Re: Crap! I overfilled the oil ....   Crap!  I overfilled the oil .... EmptySat May 19, 2012 5:02 pm

[/quote]How much "extra" oil do you think you put in?

[/quote]It was like a quart and a half

The owners manual says fill with 1.48 US QT if the filter is changed.
1.50 US QT is the same as a quart and a half,right??? scratch
I dont think that small of an amount (0.02 of a quart) will hurt your engine

If Im wrong,someone please let me know

I over filled mine the last time I changed it.I just took the oil filler cap off,and tilted the bike over to the right side and let some of the oil pour out untill it reached the top mark on the sight glass.
Back to top Go down
old_crow

PostSubject: Re: Crap! I overfilled the oil ....   Crap!  I overfilled the oil .... EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 10:21 pm

I've overfilled every car I've owned for years now without problems. I'm sure this bike is different but that's my uneducated .02
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

PostSubject: Re: Crap! I overfilled the oil ....   Crap!  I overfilled the oil .... EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 6:35 am

sewerat wrote:
I have one that is 60cc that I use for filling the FD on urals.

Post up some pics of the Urals! I love those hacks. thumb
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Crap! I overfilled the oil ....   Crap!  I overfilled the oil .... Empty

Back to top Go down

Crap! I overfilled the oil ....
Page 1 of 1