Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Left adj screw wont click in as far as right

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
RattTongue

Left adj screw wont click in as far as right Empty
PostSubject: Left adj screw wont click in as far as right   Left adj screw wont click in as far as right EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 8:42 pm

I have never touched suspension settings since I got the bike (bought used from a dealer). I replaced my fork seals and as part of the process backed out the compression damping adjusting screws all the way back (softest position). I planned to return them to factory specs. Once the forks were back together I went to adjust the screws all the way in and then back out 10 clicks to get them to factory specs. However, the left clicker will not adjust in as far as the right. It might if I really forced it but I don't want to do that. You can visibly see the right is further in when both are adjusted to the hardest settings. I confirmed this by backing both all the way out (they visually appeared equal at softest setting), then I counted the clicks and I have 30 clicks of adj on the left and 34 clicks of adj on the right.

For now, I backed both out to softest and then clicked in 20 clicks on each side. They visually appear to be equal. Did a quick ride test, got hard on the front brake several times and it appears to compress equally w/o pulling to one side or the other.

Should I really worry about this? Is it possible a put one of the shocks back together incorrectly? Could it just be a "bad" fork cap?

What happens when you adjust the screw? Does it push down on the push rod inside the damper rod?
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Left adj screw wont click in as far as right   Left adj screw wont click in as far as right EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 6:53 am

Probably has to do with when the forks were assembled.

When putting the fork cap onto the damper rod, part of the proceedure is backing the damper rod lock nut down the threaded portion a specific amount, spinning the fork cap down on the threaded portion, and tightening the lock nut up to the fork cap.
If one side is slightly off compared to the other, you get what you're describing because one of the clickers will be a bit further in or out to compensate for this mismatch.

I'd just screw both adjusters in to the max until they lightly seat (stop turning), not force anything, and back them out the same number of clicks.
If you want to get involved with the innards in an effort to make everything even-Steven, I'd check the fork cap assembly.
This is where the Yamaha Service Manual is worth the price.

I doubt your situation will amount to anything, myself.

Yes, the clicker pushes on a rod which makes for more or less oil flow.
Back to top Go down
RattTongue

PostSubject: Re: Left adj screw wont click in as far as right   Left adj screw wont click in as far as right EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 9:54 am

Thanks. Just wanted to make sure that this wasn't indicative of something that might cause damage to the fork, etc.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Left adj screw wont click in as far as right   Left adj screw wont click in as far as right Empty

Back to top Go down

Left adj screw wont click in as far as right
Page 1 of 1