Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Engine cleaning

Go down 
+7
sswrx
mucker
f3joel
HeliGuy
BuilderBob
mick wr250r
rodskies
11 posters
AuthorMessage
rodskies

Engine cleaning Empty
PostSubject: Engine cleaning   Engine cleaning EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 10:47 pm

Okay, so as to reward myself for another school year coming to a close, I plan on buying and installing the Tumper Racing 290cc big bore kit for some summer shenanigans. I bought my WRX a couple months ago, and I've been cleaning it up and adding needed farkles here and there.

The engine bottom end (sump area) and general lower portion is covered in caked on road grime and dirt. This stuff wont be coming off unless i can scrub it good. Basically I'm curious if removing the engine from the frame is going to be a lot of work? I'm going to have it stripped down pretty far to remove/install the cylinder. I figured why not just plop the engine out and clean her up real nice while I'm waiting for the cylinder to get worked on over at TR.

What do you guys think? If so, what cleaner/technique should I use?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
mick wr250r

mick wr250r

Engine cleaning Empty
PostSubject: engine cleaning   Engine cleaning EmptyTue May 01, 2012 4:00 am

sorry man i dont know how to advise you but if you do it put pics up before and after as i would like to clean mine up around there
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

Engine cleaning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine cleaning   Engine cleaning EmptyTue May 01, 2012 5:29 am

If you're tearing down in preparation for the BB kit, the only additional step you'll have to take is to unbolt the engine cradle. Then you can remove the engine with it still attached to the cradle.

As far as cleaning goes, I'd hit it good with a pressure washer before you tear it down.
Back to top Go down
HeliGuy

HeliGuy

Engine cleaning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine cleaning   Engine cleaning EmptyFri May 18, 2012 3:42 pm

Try rubbing Gas on it with a shop towel and some gloves on works wonders for me.
Back to top Go down
f3joel

f3joel

Engine cleaning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine cleaning   Engine cleaning EmptyFri May 18, 2012 4:39 pm

on a cold motor
spray it down with engine degreaser and let it sit for 5 minutes or so
spray it down with a hose, or pressure washer

Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

Engine cleaning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine cleaning   Engine cleaning EmptyFri May 18, 2012 5:20 pm

I have used Viper Brite, formerly known as Carbonex, to clean aluminum coils, truck rims, and basically anything aluminum.
It is cheap and potent. Handle with care.
They claim minor surface etching and I must agree, does a great job like no other. I used it quite a few times.
I wouldn't recommend it for regular cleaning...just the tough jobs. Will make an old set of junk rims, get mistaken for new, with 2 or 3 washes.
Spray it on, let it foam up (feel the heat), and thoroughly rinse off.
Cleans fucked up aluminum better than every other, and many products, I've used.
It'll burn your skin on contact from mist. So treat it as it is.

Probably available at most refrigeration suppliers.

http://www.refrigtech.com/Product/Coil_Cleaners/Viper_Brite/viperbrite.html
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

Engine cleaning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine cleaning   Engine cleaning EmptyFri May 18, 2012 11:11 pm

I've used Simple Green for most of my cleaning/de-greasing both on car & bike engines. It is biodegradable & won't eat your skin off or harm the bare metal or painted surfaces on the bike. A toothbrush & scotch pads work well to scrub stubborn grime.
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

Engine cleaning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine cleaning   Engine cleaning EmptySat May 19, 2012 6:29 am

diesel...
Back to top Go down
Alan Case

Engine cleaning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine cleaning   Engine cleaning EmptyMon May 21, 2012 7:46 am

I have not tried this, but I can't see why it would not work.
Baking soda, air compressor, a section of 6 mm plastic tube and the venturi principle.
http://www.garagenight.tv/diy-soda-blasting-build-your-own-rig-cheap/
Clean everything on the bike then just hose it off.

Regards Alan Case
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

Engine cleaning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine cleaning   Engine cleaning EmptyMon May 21, 2012 9:02 am

I really don't recommend soda blasting to clean unless you plan to tape off painted/coated items. A little soda overspray will really do a number on your frame, engine mount, hoses, etc.

I use a $100 harbor freight soda blaster. It's been a wonderful tool once I replaced about $3 of leaky o-rings.
Back to top Go down
adamoto

adamoto

Engine cleaning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine cleaning   Engine cleaning EmptyMon May 21, 2012 9:57 am

Mineral Spirits
Back to top Go down
wristpin

Engine cleaning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine cleaning   Engine cleaning EmptyMon May 21, 2012 7:48 pm

Elbow grease.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Engine cleaning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine cleaning   Engine cleaning Empty

Back to top Go down

Engine cleaning
Page 1 of 1