Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

What new tires do you recommend?

Go down 
+3
skierd
cryptomundo
powpow
7 posters
AuthorMessage
powpow

What new tires do you recommend? Empty
PostSubject: What new tires do you recommend?   What new tires do you recommend? EmptyWed May 09, 2012 12:06 am

Hello,
I ride my 250r to school everyday it doesn't rain and my treed is not what I would like it to be. What tires do you have?
Back to top Go down
cryptomundo

PostSubject: Re: What new tires do you recommend?   What new tires do you recommend? EmptyWed May 09, 2012 10:09 am

.. this should probably be moved to the tire section ..

what tires do you currently have on your bike?

is your school in the woods or city? how far do you travel every day?

for a more road oriented tire I am running distanzias on my r (look in the tire section for my post on the distanzia tire sizing)

https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t6079-distanzia-s-for-the-r-size-confirmation
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: What new tires do you recommend?   What new tires do you recommend? EmptyThu May 10, 2012 3:36 am

When my bike was an R, I usually commuted on Dunlop D606's. Good on pavement, great on the trails when not riding to work or school, and lasted fairly long for knobbies. Stock tires, Shinko 244's and kenda K270's are decent for pavement riding and fire roads and easy dry trail riding. Just about anything will work on the street.
Back to top Go down
pfy50

pfy50

PostSubject: Re: What new tires do you recommend?   What new tires do you recommend? EmptyMon May 21, 2012 8:28 pm

skierd wrote:
When my bike was an R, I usually commuted on Dunlop D606's. Good on pavement, great on the trails when not riding to work or school, and lasted fairly long for knobbies. Stock tires, Shinko 244's and kenda K270's are decent for pavement riding and fire roads and easy dry trail riding. Just about anything will work on the street.

Hey Skierd,

Have the big forest fires started up in Fairbanks area this year again??

I was thinking of the Kenda 270 for a front tire with maybe a IRC battle rally or Dunlap 606 rear. Are the kendas not suitable for occasional muddy trails. What about the Alaskan haul roads with that calcium chloride down? Is anything good on that outside of maybe Teraflexs with ice studs
baldy Just trying to forgo my previous failure to get up the Dalton in the rain like in 2010 trip.
Back to top Go down
YamahaTN

PostSubject: Re: What new tires do you recommend?   What new tires do you recommend? EmptyMon May 21, 2012 10:01 pm

Pirelli MT43 on the rear and Pirelli Scorpion Pro on the front.
Back to top Go down
Daamud

Daamud

PostSubject: Re: What new tires do you recommend?   What new tires do you recommend? EmptyMon May 21, 2012 11:01 pm

pfy50 wrote:
]Hey Skierd,

I was thinking of the Kenda 270 for a front tire with maybe a IRC battle rally or Dunlap 606 rear. Are the kendas not suitable for occasional muddy trails. What about the Alaskan haul roads with that calcium chloride down? Is anything good on that outside of maybe Teraflexs with ice studs [/color]baldy Just trying to forgo my previous failure to get up the Dalton in the rain like in 2010 trip.[/size]

Just my .02....

I like the 760 rear. It works good in sand and mud in N. Wisconsin and fine on road.

I do not like the 760 front. For me it does not get good traction off road and cups bad when used on road much.

Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: What new tires do you recommend?   What new tires do you recommend? EmptyTue May 22, 2012 3:40 am

pfy50 wrote:
skierd wrote:

Hey Skierd,

I was thinking of the Kenda 270 for a front tire with maybe a IRC battle rally or Dunlap 606 rear. Are the kendas not suitable for occasional muddy trails. What about the Alaskan haul roads with that calcium chloride down? Is anything good on that outside of maybe Teraflexs with ice studs
baldy Just trying to forgo my previous failure to get up the Dalton in the rain like in 2010 trip.

Haven't been on the haul road yet. Nothing's on fire yet either. In fact the weather's been damn near perfect for the last week, highs in the mid 60's to low 70's and low's in the 50's since it stopped getting dark at night.

I hated the shinko 244 (same tread pattern at the Kenda K270) in anything loose and sloppy, felt like it always wanted to knife out from under me. A D606 or Pirelli MT21 front are good all-around front tires that will work in most any condition. If/when I change back to R wheels I was going to try those or go with a non-DOT Pirelli MT16.

As far as rear tires go... I absolutely hated the Kenda K760 Trakmaster II on any sort of gravel road or hard pack dirt or rock. It was great on soft loamy soil, great drive in sand, and good drive in sloppy mud, but in hard and especially hard and slick conditions it just flat out sucked. The Pirelli MT43 trials tire had fantastic traction, but I had some reliability issues (second one had tread separation at the center knobs, first one work quickly, had multiple flats on both) and I liked the drive I got from a knobby better. I found the D606 rear to just flat out work in every and any condition, down to the cords, and last just about forever for a knobby. I routinely got 5000-5500 miles out of a rear, and as much as 7000 miles once on a road trip.

Frankly, if the Dalton doesn't want you to ride it, you aren't gonna ride it no matter what tires you're running. I'm taking my X shod WR up it in a couple weeks probably, running a continental sport touring front and a heidenau k76 rear. I'm guessing I'll be ok.
Back to top Go down
pfy50

pfy50

PostSubject: Re: What new tires do you recommend?   What new tires do you recommend? EmptyTue May 22, 2012 9:30 am

skierd wrote:

Frankly, if the Dalton doesn't want you to ride it, you aren't gonna ride it no matter what tires you're running. I'm taking my X shod WR up it in a couple weeks probably, running a continental sport touring front and a heidenau k76 rear. I'm guessing I'll be ok.

Thanks skierd for the through reply on the tires. You should be ok with the '76s. I got a 76 on the rear of my KTM990 from Mark/Mike in Fairbanks and took it all the way down to Prince George BC after doing D2D that year(2010). If those guys can take their wee-stroms and harleys on stock tires up the Dalton to Prudhoe Bay you should be great with the Heidenaus.
Back to top Go down
pfy50

pfy50

PostSubject: Re: What new tires do you recommend?   What new tires do you recommend? EmptyTue May 22, 2012 12:10 pm

Daamud wrote:

Just my .02....

I like the 760 rear. It works good in sand and mud in N. Wisconsin and fine on road.

I do not like the 760 front. For me it does not get good traction off road and cups bad when used on road much.

Hey Daamud,

Was at that Central Rally in Eagle river WI in 2010 nice area. Reminds me of my old south Jersey Pine Barrens(sandy trails) area from a couple years ago before I moved to the East Tenn. Mtns.
Are you talking about the Trac Master II's; what type of mileage you get off of yours, and did you have any wear issues like skierd had with his? I guess you have to pick the set that suits the terrain you are going to be in most of the time. Here it is rock gravel roads and soft muddy trails rutted by the ATVs dddog that predominate this area in North Eastern Tenn. I will probably go to Dunny 606's first and see thumb
Back to top Go down
Daamud

Daamud

PostSubject: Re: What new tires do you recommend?   What new tires do you recommend? EmptyWed May 23, 2012 8:22 pm

edit.....

I just re-read the post....... I'm a dumb ass Shog I see it's the 270 you're talking about.
Back to top Go down
jon_l

jon_l

PostSubject: Re: What new tires do you recommend?   What new tires do you recommend? EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 7:46 pm

pfy50 wrote:

I prefer the opposite "mullet". I like more front traction than rear off-road. A 270 F and D606 R is way biased towards rear traction. A loose rear is generally controllable, a front that won't stick is scary.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What new tires do you recommend?   What new tires do you recommend? Empty

Back to top Go down

What new tires do you recommend?
Page 1 of 1