Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

buzzy noise at high rpm

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
bradrh

buzzy noise at high rpm Empty
PostSubject: buzzy noise at high rpm   buzzy noise at high rpm EmptyWed May 09, 2012 11:32 pm

Our WRR has an annoying buzzy noise at part throttle, high rpm's. It starts around 7000 rpm & is worse at 8000 (I backed these out from my speed and gearing). It goes away at wide open throttle or closing the throttle. I'ts not the basic engine noise, I can distinguish that by winding it up wide open, it's louder and a different pitch. The bike is pretty stock except for a Moose plastic skid plate. I'm the 3rd owner but the exhaust looks like it hasn't been messed with. Since it changes with throttle position I'm wondering if it has something to do w/ the EXUP valve . Any ideas? Is this normal?
I have 13/50 gearing so this starts around 55mph.
Back to top Go down
Delta_T

Delta_T

PostSubject: Re: buzzy noise at high rpm   buzzy noise at high rpm EmptyThu May 10, 2012 7:44 am

Did you try it without the skid plate?
Mine had a annoying noise while driving at around 60 mph and I couldn't figure out where it came from. It turned out the the skid plate (not a Moose) reflected the engine noise. Took it off and the sound was gone.
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: buzzy noise at high rpm   buzzy noise at high rpm EmptyThu May 10, 2012 9:17 am

If it's not skid plate it could be the timing chain or the drive chain.

Sadly the timing chains on these bikes is disturbingly noisy, so was my stock drive chain. Chains will generally quiet down when loaded.
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: buzzy noise at high rpm   buzzy noise at high rpm EmptyThu May 10, 2012 9:59 am

Could also be just about anything that is loose and vibrating and doesn't vibrate enough to make contact against another surface until you pass that rpm range.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: buzzy noise at high rpm   buzzy noise at high rpm EmptyThu May 10, 2012 11:54 am

Resonance buzz....ain't it great? baldy

click me <-- more thoughts

Take your helmet off (in a safe place) and ride around and see if you can pinpoint a specific area where the buzz is coming from.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
bradrh

PostSubject: Re: buzzy noise at high rpm   buzzy noise at high rpm EmptyThu May 10, 2012 9:26 pm

Delta_T wrote:
Did you try it without the skid plate?
Mine had a annoying noise while driving at around 60 mph and I couldn't figure out where it came from. It turned out the the skid plate (not a Moose) reflected the engine noise. Took it off and the sound was gone.
I didn't notice it w/o the skid plate, but I changed the gears (43->50) at about the same time I put the skid plate on so may not have wound it up as much before. It's the wifey's bike so I only get to ride it when she isn't looking wink It's the new expensive moose plastic skid plate, so should be much better than an alum one. I just noticed that the back end of the skid plate is loose, I need to have a look at that.

motokid wrote:
Resonance buzz....ain't it great? baldy

click me <-- more thoughts

Take your helmet off (in a safe place) and ride around and see if you can pinpoint a specific area where the buzz is coming from.
I might give that a try in a low gear. So far it's only a problem in 6th at pretty high RPM, but I'll try a lower gear.
Some good thoughts on the link. If I figure it out I'll add mine to it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: buzzy noise at high rpm   buzzy noise at high rpm Empty

Back to top Go down

buzzy noise at high rpm
Page 1 of 1