Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

WRR/WRX front caliper question

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
IAmABug

WRR/WRX front caliper question Empty
PostSubject: WRR/WRX front caliper question   WRR/WRX front caliper question EmptyMon May 14, 2012 11:32 pm

WRX/WRR, what is the physical difference in the front caliper setup between the two. Is it simply the mounting bracket or are the actual calipers different as well...I just got a set of WRX wheels for my WRR and I am trying to come up with a fast way to change them over. I have ordered a whole new front brake setup for the SM setup but it won't be here for a few weeks and would like to be able to change back and forth between now and then. If its just the mount then I may just make a new one that will be universal between the two.
Back to top Go down
bigg

bigg

PostSubject: Re: WRR/WRX front caliper question   WRR/WRX front caliper question EmptyTue May 15, 2012 4:25 am

I think I remember reading somewhere that in the R, the calipers are not the same size. One is larger than the other which is supposed to provide more feel under breaking (very useful for off roading). The X on the other hand has two calipers of the same size to maximize breaking performance but sacrifices some feel.

but I'm not too sure scratch can't find the source right now
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: WRR/WRX front caliper question   WRR/WRX front caliper question EmptyTue May 15, 2012 6:47 am

The front caliper of a WR-250X is much larger than the front caliper of a WR-250R.
They are not the same part.
The caliper is larger.
The pads are larger (and aren't even the same shape).
The mounting bracket is different.

I do believe you need to change the whole caliper and mounting bracket assembly.
I'd also use the master cylinder and brake line from a WR-250X when using a WR-250X caliper.
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: WRR/WRX front caliper question   WRR/WRX front caliper question EmptyTue May 15, 2012 11:54 am

Thanks for the info YZEtc...little more research late late last night and I found some more info and you are right. They are not the same by any means:(. I now have to wait for the brake setup to come in. Hopefully it doesnt take long.

Is the master cylinder bigger on the WRX brake perch as well then?
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: WRR/WRX front caliper question   WRR/WRX front caliper question EmptyTue May 15, 2012 8:26 pm

If I recall, the WR-250X master cylinder has a larger-diameter piston than the WR-250R master cylinder piston, probably because the WR-250X caliper pistons are much bigger.
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: WRR/WRX front caliper question   WRR/WRX front caliper question EmptyTue May 15, 2012 10:17 pm

WRR/WRX front caliper question Th_IMG_9195

Here it is with the new wheels. Brake might be in this week if not next for sure...one more week of dirt tire riding to and from work. Went for a little rip with no front brake today (don't recommend it though other than a leisurely cruise) and they sure stick nice and the bike is much more stable on the road.
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: WRR/WRX front caliper question   WRR/WRX front caliper question EmptyTue May 15, 2012 10:17 pm

Here it is with the new wheels. Brake might be in this week if not next for sure...one more week of dirt tire riding to and from work. Went for a little rip with no front brake today (don't recommend it though other than a leisurely cruise) and they sure stick nice and the bike is much more stable on the road.
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

PostSubject: Re: WRR/WRX front caliper question   WRR/WRX front caliper question EmptyWed May 16, 2012 6:42 am

IAmABug wrote:

oh look,your all set to race flat track ! We dont use front brakes,didnt use rears until the 70s
https://2img.net/h/i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab259/shorttrack915/0421121626_0001.jpg
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WRR/WRX front caliper question   WRR/WRX front caliper question Empty

Back to top Go down

WRR/WRX front caliper question
Page 1 of 1