Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Unsold "leftovers" from previous years?

Go down 
+3
mwalker
YamahaTN
D28NY
7 posters
AuthorMessage
D28NY

D28NY

Unsold "leftovers" from previous years? Empty
PostSubject: Unsold "leftovers" from previous years?   Unsold "leftovers" from previous years? EmptyThu May 17, 2012 5:14 pm

Since I've been reading up on these bikes so much over the past month or so, I've seen a decent amount of people talking about finding unsold "leftovers" at dealers. Previous year(s) model bikes that they're trying to get rid of to make room for new models and whatnot.

Is this fairly common, or is it like finding a treasure? I see a lot of posters here are different parts of the world, so for sake of accuracy, I'm talking about the US. (Specifically, upstate New York is where I'll be buying)

I'm really hoping to find a deal like this and save a few $$ over buying new.

On the flip side, in your experience, how much do dealers move on price of brand new WRR's if you're paying cash? "Cash is king" has always been the motto when buying vehicles, but I hear a lot of people say that you don't want to let them know you're paying in cash until after you settle on a price. Something about the dealer getting more out of the deal if they think you're going to finance through them.

Back to top Go down
YamahaTN

PostSubject: Re: Unsold "leftovers" from previous years?   Unsold "leftovers" from previous years? EmptyThu May 17, 2012 5:29 pm

I think finding a leftover usually goes in favor of the buyer. I don't know much about how the dealers get bikes but I think the manufacturers pretty much tell a dealer what he is gonna take. Someone with more knowledge than I will have to chime in if I am wrong. Here's a funny story for you.... I decided several years ago that I wanted a particular sportbike in a certain color and it was not a real popular color. It was a 2008 model and I was looking in early 2010. I called a dealer about three hours away who had advertised the bike I wanted on Cycle Trader. When I called, they said they had sold the bike about three weeks before. I found another bike just like it about five hours away. I drove to that dealer with cash in hand. I was happy with their advertised price. When I was at the dealer doing the paperwork, I found out that the particular bike I was buying had been at the first dealer that I called. They had transferred it to the second dealer about three weeks before I called and after the bike had been sitting on their showroom floor for well over a year. I'd say somebody at that first dealer could have spit nails after that bike sat on their floor for over a year and three weeks after they transfer it or trade it away, I call for it.
Back to top Go down
mwalker

PostSubject: Re: Unsold "leftovers" from previous years?   Unsold "leftovers" from previous years? EmptyFri May 18, 2012 12:05 pm

I tried and couldn't find anything. I ended up buying a 2012 WRR in Paducah, KY and a 2012 XT250 in Nashville Tn. I paid MSRP on both. BTW they are both incredable fun bikes. I came from a 2011 BMWF650GS which I felt was to big and heavy to ride by myself on gravel roads in Southern Illinois. I kept having dreams I was trapped under it and cyotes gathering :-)
Back to top Go down
D28NY

D28NY

PostSubject: Re: Unsold "leftovers" from previous years?   Unsold "leftovers" from previous years? EmptyFri May 18, 2012 7:32 pm

Well I contacted the two closest Yamaha dealers, to where I'll be moving in NY. One of them quoted me at about $7,500 for an out-the-door price on a 2012 model. Sounds kinda high, no?

The other place is about the same for a 2012, but they told me they'd contact other dealers in the state to see if they had any leftovers that I could pick up for cheaper.

I was hoping to find a leftover priced closer to $5,000. But maybe I'm just dreaming. dunno
Back to top Go down
mwalker

PostSubject: Re: Unsold "leftovers" from previous years?   Unsold "leftovers" from previous years? EmptyFri May 18, 2012 10:04 pm

I got my 2012 WRR last week for $6500 and the 2012 XT for $5500.
Back to top Go down
Alamo

Alamo

PostSubject: Re: Unsold "leftovers" from previous years?   Unsold "leftovers" from previous years? EmptyFri May 18, 2012 10:55 pm

I had a coupon for $500 off a bike at ProCaliber out of my Team Oregon motorcycle class book so I got my 2012 wr250r for $6100. Other dealerships wouldn't move off MSRP and I tried a 2010 leftover in Tacoma but they laughed at me when I offered $5500 and told me buy the 2012 for $6100.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Unsold "leftovers" from previous years?   Unsold "leftovers" from previous years? EmptySat May 19, 2012 5:15 pm

There a downside to paying cash ... it's called the IRS. I've been told auto dealers have to notify the IRS if you buy a car with cash. Not sure about bikes though.
Back to top Go down
D28NY

D28NY

PostSubject: Re: Unsold "leftovers" from previous years?   Unsold "leftovers" from previous years? EmptySat May 19, 2012 6:57 pm

mwalker and Alamo: Are you guys talking out-the-door prices, or are those the prices before fees/taxes?

gatorfan: What's the consequence with the IRS being notified? Will they audit you or something if they find out you paid cash for a vehicle?
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

PostSubject: Re: Unsold "leftovers" from previous years?   Unsold "leftovers" from previous years? EmptySun May 20, 2012 7:27 am

Not all states collect sales tax.Some guys go to a state to get a better deal and do,then take the new/used bike home only to find out the home state needs proof of sales tax paid. Now you gotta buck up and in some cases pay a fine as it had to be paid in {x} number of days.
Sales tax is paid to the state,not the IRS.

Yes i can go north one state and get a new or leftover or used wrr/x and pay no sales tax. That looks like a better deal.Only to have to pay up in my state. Check your local laws before you try to score a good deal as tax code is not all the same state to state.
Back to top Go down
Coop

Coop

PostSubject: Re: Unsold "leftovers" from previous years?   Unsold "leftovers" from previous years? EmptySun May 20, 2012 9:10 am

$7500 OTD seems high. Hillview Motorsports in Latrobe Pa has a 2012 listed at $5899, so that would be adding $1600 in fees to get to $7500 OTD, that seems excessive. The places you called must not be coming off MSRP at all.
Back to top Go down
mwalker

PostSubject: Re: Unsold "leftovers" from previous years?   Unsold "leftovers" from previous years? EmptySun May 20, 2012 10:07 am

D28NY wrote:
mwalker and Alamo: Are you guys talking out-the-door prices, or are those the prices before fees/taxes?

gatorfan: What's the consequence with the IRS being notified? Will they audit you or something if they find out you paid cash for a vehicle?

Yes fees, taxs and license- $7100 WRR- paid cash
Back to top Go down
D28NY

D28NY

PostSubject: Re: Unsold "leftovers" from previous years?   Unsold "leftovers" from previous years? EmptySun May 20, 2012 3:34 pm

Coop wrote:
$7500 OTD seems high. Hillview Motorsports in Latrobe Pa has a 2012 listed at $5899, so that would be adding $1600 in fees to get to $7500 OTD, that seems excessive. The places you called must not be coming off MSRP at all.

Yeah, I'm beginning to think that I'm going to have to make quite the drive to find a decent deal. I'm moving to the Binghamton, NY area. There's only 2 local Yamaha dealers. Anywhere else, and I'll be doing a bit of driving to get there.

mwalker wrote:
D28NY wrote:

Yes fees, taxs and license- $7100 WRR- paid cash

OK, thanks. I wasn't sure if you guys were talking sticker price or out-the-door price.
Back to top Go down
Alamo

Alamo

PostSubject: Re: Unsold "leftovers" from previous years?   Unsold "leftovers" from previous years? EmptySun May 20, 2012 6:43 pm

D28NY wrote:

I paid $6211 for the bike thats with a 1% fee for using my credit card, which for the airline miles was worth it to me. Then $288 for registration, $50 documentation fee, and Oregon has no sales tax. So my out the door price all said and done was $6552. Hope that helps. I can pay the credit card bill if I sell my jet ski in 30 days. Shog I am loving this bike but i had no idea how fast i would burn through money on all the helmets, jackets, skid plates, etc. I bought some stuff from Atomic moto that guy is awesome. He spent an hour on the phone trying to find me the right boots. Awesome unparalleled customer service.
Back to top Go down
mwalker

PostSubject: Re: Unsold "leftovers" from previous years?   Unsold "leftovers" from previous years? EmptySun May 20, 2012 9:32 pm

Alamo wrote:
D28NY wrote:

I paid $6211 for the bike thats with a 1% fee for using my credit card, which for the airline miles was worth it to me. Then $288 for registration, $50 documentation fee, and Oregon has no sales tax. So my out the door price all said and done was $6552. Hope that helps. I can pay the credit card bill if I sell my jet ski in 30 days. Shog I am loving this bike but i had no idea how fast i would burn through money on all the helmets, jackets, skid plates, etc. I bought some stuff from Atomic moto that guy is awesome. He spent an hour on the phone trying to find me the right boots. Awesome unparalleled customer service.

What kind of boots did you end up with?
Back to top Go down
Alamo

Alamo

PostSubject: Re: Unsold "leftovers" from previous years?   Unsold "leftovers" from previous years? EmptyTue May 22, 2012 12:04 am

I ended up with the Gaerne GX1 Boots which he highly recommended for my style of riding, mostly dirt with some road. Problem was I wear a 14 and they don't make them this year in 14 :( he actually was going to get the euro ones size 49 from Italy but would have taken a month. He luckily found a white pair laying around in last years model when they did have 14. Crazy part was I called for the Gaerne balance at $350 bucks and he sold me a $169 close out pair instead. If you need boots call Atomic Moto.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Unsold "leftovers" from previous years?   Unsold "leftovers" from previous years? Empty

Back to top Go down

Unsold "leftovers" from previous years?
Page 1 of 1