Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Help with Tie Downs on Carriers

Go down 
+2
Arkmage
dave8614
6 posters
AuthorMessage
dave8614

Help with Tie Downs on Carriers Empty
PostSubject: Help with Tie Downs on Carriers   Help with Tie Downs on Carriers EmptyThu May 17, 2012 6:28 pm

I just bought a hitch carrier and am wondering what the best way is to tie down my WR250R. It looks like straps will hook on OK with loops to the bars near the triple in front, but not sure where the best place would be to tie down in the back. The swing arm seems to low to get a solid angle to the carrier, but up higher the muffler gets in the way. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: Help with Tie Downs on Carriers   Help with Tie Downs on Carriers EmptyThu May 17, 2012 10:01 pm

dave8614 wrote:
I just bought a hitch carrier and am wondering what the best way is to tie down my WR250R. It looks like straps will hook on OK with loops to the bars near the triple in front, but not sure where the best place would be to tie down in the back. The swing arm seems to low to get a solid angle to the carrier, but up higher the muffler gets in the way. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

I run the rear strap over the back of the seat and suck the suspension down fairly snug. Seems to work out alright.

It kind of depends on the model carrier you've got I think.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Help with Tie Downs on Carriers   Help with Tie Downs on Carriers EmptyFri May 18, 2012 6:43 am

Subframe on left side -- passenger peg bracket (assuming their still on) on right side.

I stopped tying down the rear anyway, but my bike sits in the truck bed not on a hitch.
Back to top Go down
dave8614

PostSubject: Re: Help with Tie Downs on Carriers   Help with Tie Downs on Carriers EmptyWed May 23, 2012 12:39 pm

Thanks. The passenger peg bracket and sub frame looks like it will work. I've got some work to do on the carrier though to keep it from digging into the fron tire!
Back to top Go down
Opie

PostSubject: Re: Help with Tie Downs on Carriers   Help with Tie Downs on Carriers EmptyTue May 29, 2012 5:45 pm

I just hauled my new WRR about 440 miles on a borrowed hitch carrier. On the front, I used moto/atv specific ratcheting tie-downs on the handlebars. On the rear, I used soft-ties through the sub-frame and regular ratcheting tie-downs.

Be careful releasing the bike, as it will likely swing suddenly to the opposing side. A helper to help hold up the bike as you ratchet is a good idea, especially the first couple of times you use the carrier.

Back to top Go down
DragonNester

DragonNester

PostSubject: Re: Help with Tie Downs on Carriers   Help with Tie Downs on Carriers EmptyWed May 30, 2012 10:49 am

The hitch carrier I use has a main channel the tires sit in. So, for the rear, I just ratchet down the rear tire to the channel through the wheel with a short tie down, so it can't hop out hitting a big bumps in the road. Works just fine with no compressing the rear shock and just one strap on the rear. I always use two straps on the inside front and one outside, just in case of a strap failure...the bike can't fall to the street side.
Back to top Go down
old_crow

PostSubject: Re: Help with Tie Downs on Carriers   Help with Tie Downs on Carriers EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 10:16 pm

Using the hitch carrier (wheels in aluminum channel) I hook the bike on the bottom of the handlebars near the fork on each side and secure the straps to the brackets on the carrier. That's it! Took an 8hr trip that way to get the bike back & have used this technique several times since, even doing some off-roading in the van. The bike stays secure even without the back tied down but it does flex and wobble, making me nervous for the first few miles.
GAHHHH

I use 2 heavy duty boat straps with a very high weight capacity, not ratchet straps. Watch your fingers on release! Seriously!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help with Tie Downs on Carriers   Help with Tie Downs on Carriers Empty

Back to top Go down

Help with Tie Downs on Carriers
Page 1 of 1