Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Thermostat Mod - Let it Flow

Go down 
+3
mucker
papi4baby
skierd
7 posters
AuthorMessage

Thermostat Mod - Let it Flow Empty
PostSubject: Thermostat Mod - Let it Flow   Thermostat Mod - Let it Flow EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 3:39 pm

I just got ahold of a service manual for our bike and read that the thermostat opens up when the coolant reaches 70.5*-73.5*C / 158.9*-164.3*F (see page below). What I'm wondering, is if anyone has tried replacing the Thermostat with one that opens up at a lower temperature. This would allow coolant to flow more readily especially on my short commutes to/from work.

Thermostat Mod - Let it Flow Thermo13
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Thermostat Mod - Let it Flow   Thermostat Mod - Let it Flow EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 6:01 pm

160 degrees is actually already pretty low for a thermostat to open... most cars open at 180 degrees for example. I wouldn't want it to run any colder than that, as a cold motor isn't as thermally efficient (less power) and the motor is designed to run at a certain temperature range (above 160, below boiling) for maximum efficiency. The whole point of the t-stat is to ensure that the motor reaches and stays at that temperature range.
Back to top Go down
papi4baby

papi4baby

PostSubject: Re: Thermostat Mod - Let it Flow   Thermostat Mod - Let it Flow EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 8:01 pm

skierd wrote:
160 degrees is actually already pretty low for a thermostat to open... most cars open at 180 degrees for example. I wouldn't want it to run any colder than that, as a cold motor isn't as thermally efficient (less power) and the motor is designed to run at a certain temperature range (above 160, below boiling) for maximum efficiency. The whole point of the t-stat is to ensure that the motor reaches and stays at that temperature range.

I agree with this post.

You could always try to contact Yamaha and see if they will say is ok.

But it will most likely be denied.
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: Thermostat Mod - Let it Flow   Thermostat Mod - Let it Flow EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 8:51 pm

That was an old drag racing trick...just remove the t'stat...it's only running very short, major bursts.
There's no time to throttle coolant in a quarter mile any way.

Anywho, todays engines are more precise and use more variety of materials.
I plan on goin more than a few miles so...I think I'll go with the temperature than the yammy enginneers decided was tolerable.

The tolerances of all the different pieces of my engine were decided by the temperature they would operate at. You change that temperature...so should your tolerances be considered.
Back to top Go down
Fuzzy Wrench

Fuzzy Wrench

PostSubject: Re: Thermostat Mod - Let it Flow   Thermostat Mod - Let it Flow EmptySat Jun 09, 2012 10:11 pm

the thermostat opens a passage to the radiator, cooling the engine.....until the 'stat opens, the engine cooling system is running "closed loop" to warm up the engine faster...if you install a lower opening 'stat, the coolant will flow to the radiator faster, not allowing the engine to reach operating temp until later.....if you want to "warm" up faster, put a higher opening 'stat or pinch off the hose to the radiator...the 'stat also throttles any in-rush of colder coolant, preventing extreme temperature seizure, so be weary of running without it....trying to run a different operating temp also causes the ECU to modify its ignition timing, so again, be careful what you do....
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: Thermostat Mod - Let it Flow   Thermostat Mod - Let it Flow EmptySat Jun 09, 2012 10:38 pm

Curious, at what temp does the bike turn the temp light on at?

I do a 10km ride to work and 10 back. Never had an issue with the bike not warming up fast enough even in temps around 0-3c. Personally I tend to leave this type of thing as OEM because the bike is designed to run at that spec, not before or after.
Back to top Go down
zinx

zinx

PostSubject: Re: Thermostat Mod - Let it Flow   Thermostat Mod - Let it Flow EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 11:05 pm

I would also be curious to know at what temp the:

1) yellow temp light comes on
2) red temp light comes on
3) what is the critical temp for the engine

Preferably in celcius. If any body has this info, please come forth.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Prairieparson

PostSubject: Re: Thermostat Mod - Let it Flow   Thermostat Mod - Let it Flow EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 5:03 pm

Personally, I wouldn't change the T-stat. This was a big issue with one of my previous rides, Honda ST1300. One of the biggest known issues is the failures of the Tstat. What happens is it sticks open. This hurts fuel mileage, because in any kind of cold weather, the bike doesn't reach its designed operating temp. So unless you like giving more money to the oil companies, I'd suggest against it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thermostat Mod - Let it Flow   Thermostat Mod - Let it Flow Empty

Back to top Go down

Thermostat Mod - Let it Flow
Page 1 of 1