Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures

Go down 
+6
Bikeman
pbnut
Peterbuilt
Arkmage
Coop
motokid
10 posters
AuthorMessage
motokid
motokid

Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures Empty
PostSubject: Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures   Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 8:59 pm

At almost 10,000 miles my clutch cable broke tonight. Thankfully I was only a few miles from home so I limped bike home with clutchless shifts and stalling at lights.

Finding neutral with no clutch is damn near impossible.

So my question:

Do I have to buy the whole cable assembly?

Or can I buy raw cable, cut to length, and press on the end nubs?

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs

Last edited by motokid on Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Coop

Coop

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures   Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 9:12 pm

Unless you have an old timer around that knows how to solder on cable ends (and has the parts) you will be buying a new cable. I know it's a pain because of the routing under the tank.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures   Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 9:15 pm

I can order cable assembly online for 19 bucks (plus shipping) but I was hoping to ride Sunday on Father's Day. thumb

I can't wait to see what the local stealership charges me for it.

Anyone care to guess?

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures   Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 9:26 pm

motokid wrote:
I can order cable assembly online for 19 bucks (plus shipping) but I was hoping to ride Sunday on Father's Day. thumb

I can't wait to see what the local stealership charges me for it.

Anyone care to guess?

Online for $19... you'll pay 2.885* that at the dealership... so $54.82 + tax :)
Back to top Go down
Peterbuilt

Peterbuilt

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures   Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 12:01 am

I think they're gonna charge you $51.99 for it

But hey, that's just a guess.

What's the prize for the closest guess?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures   Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 6:22 am

Peterbuilt wrote:

What's the prize for the closest guess?

Pride in being #1 wings

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Coop

Coop

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures   Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 6:53 am

Can't hurt to call around. There was a small motorcycle salvage shop near here that had been open since the 70's but closed a year or two ago. That guy made and repaired cables. He didn't get much business in that because most people just buy new ones, but he had the skills to do it and he did it well. He fixed quite a few for me over the years that were too long, wrong ends, etc. It was nice when you wanted to ride but not wait on parts.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures   Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 7:06 am

Trouble is the weather here is just F'n perfect. Truly perfect.
Father's Day is this Sunday.
I need bike Tuesday as car is scheduled for some maintenance at shop.
I'm impatient to be sure.

If local stealership has part for under $50 I won't feel too ripped off.

If it's over $50 I might be a bit pissed off and go online.

I can't imagine shipping for one cable would be more than $10.

We'll see. I'll make a phone call today to stealership.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures   Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 2:23 pm

A dealership? Stock something you need? What?

Not in my experience... Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Bikeman

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures   Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 2:29 pm

Do yourself a favor and buy two. Cable tie the two together and install. If it breaks again you have one set to go. Just connect ends and all set. It's a old long distance dual-sport trick.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures   Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 3:22 pm

pbnut wrote:
A dealership? Stock something you need? What?

Not in my experience... Good luck!

Fingers crossed.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures   Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 3:28 pm

SHIT - - $22.99 but not in stock and 3-5 business days away.

baldy baldy

Great price - but no riding this weekend.....

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
hell0men

hell0men

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures   Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 1:09 am

Dude, just go to cycle shop and buy a brake cable. Only 2$ :)
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures   Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 6:44 am

hell0men wrote:
Dude, just go to cycle shop and buy a brake cable. Only 2$ :)

Looks like a bicycle brake cable may work in a pinch...you could size it up, and see if it gets you thru till the order comes in...
Back to top Go down
Coop

Coop

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures   Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 8:18 am

Usually the ends on a brake cable are too small. I've tried. Some smaller bikes you can make it work while waiting for the correct part. the end at the engine is an issue usually too.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures   Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures EmptySat Jun 23, 2012 9:49 am

Got my pair of cables delivered to my doorstep late yesterday afternoon. Happy Day!!!!

Now that I look it appears the clutch cable is tightly zip-tied together through multiple points to route it under gas tank and through various "passageways". baldy

So just duct-taping end of new cable to end of old cable and pulling the new one through doesn't appear feasible.

Removing seat, side panel, and gas tank appears to be the path of least resistance for this process.

Oh well....gives me a chance to check on some things under the covers.

Hopefully riding tomorrow. cheers

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures   Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures EmptySat Jun 23, 2012 11:16 am

From here:
Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures Dscn3012

to here:
Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures Dscn3013

to here:
Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures Dscn3014

Took one hour including washing hands a few times for picture taking.
More pictures to come documenting process.

Gotta cut grass before it gets too hot.

Then the rest of the pictures.

Here's a teaser:
Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures Dscn3015

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures   Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures EmptySat Jun 23, 2012 1:03 pm

So the idea of just pulling the old cable out and/or using the old cable to pull the new cable through is toast. There's a very tightly cinched zip tie inside the frame under the gas tank that you'd never be able to pull things through. Also the clutch cable jacket is pretty ruggedized. It doesn't bend real easy and just pass through "s" curves with ease. I definitely needed two hands on cable to manipulate it through a few places.

You could probably exchange clutch cable without removing gas tank completely, but I wanted to disconnect and reconnect the gas tank so I could understand that connector better. I accomplished that mission. There's no need to drain gas tank to remove it from bike. Just be aware that there is some gasoline in the line that will dribble out after the connector is released from tank. No gas at all dribbles out from tank though.

So where did my cable break?
Right at the lever.
Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures Dscn3016

Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures Dscn3017

Part number for replacement:
Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures Dscn3018

Very handy reuseable cable ties. Thanks to Yamaha for those. Do not cut these. Easy to open with a small flat bladed screw driver.
Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures Dscn3019

Connector for gas line to fuel tank. In "open" position.
Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures Dscn3020

Connector in "closed" position. This is how it's secured on your tank connector. Slide the orange part to open position (see picture aboce).
Squeeze blue tabs inward and slide the whole thing off the plastic elbow on underside of fuel tank.
Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures Dscn3021

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures   Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures EmptySat Jun 23, 2012 1:05 pm

Elbow on underside of gas tank:
Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures Dscn3022

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures   Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures EmptySat Jun 23, 2012 1:11 pm

Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures Dscn3023

This is the very snuggly cinched cable tie that Yamaha uses to keep the clutch cable off to one side of gas tank.

Once this is cut off you can now remove the old broken cable from the bike.

On the ball end of the cable where it attaches to lever arm there is a small, very easy to bend tab that you need to bend so old ball end can be removed and new ball end can be positioned properly. Then bend the tab back and carry on.

Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures Dscn3024

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures   Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures EmptySat Jun 23, 2012 1:12 pm

My new cable tie after new clutch cable was snaked through openings:

Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures Dscn3025

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures   Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures EmptySat Jun 23, 2012 1:18 pm

Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures Dscn3026

Make sure you put the one rubber boot on before you connect the cable to the lever.

Button everything back up.

Might want to start bike before putting EVERYTHING back together just to make sure gas line and electrical connections are in proper homes.

Then....happy riding.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures   Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures EmptySun Jun 24, 2012 7:22 pm

thumb
Nice how-to!
Back to top Go down
mrgeoff

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures   Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 4:25 pm

Mine broke today in the same place :-( 5000 miles at 3 years old, not good quality from mr Yam.

Good pics and tips in this post, thanks :-)
Back to top Go down
saddletramp

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures   Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 9:05 pm

I was surprised to see some broken strands today when I was going over the bike. (It has 8900 miles on it). Imagine my additional shock when I peeled back the rubber and discovered that there were only about 8 strands remaining and the rest had frayed off. I have noticed it was harder to pull recently but put that down to the need to re-lube the cables. Anyhow, I did have a new spare cable sitting in a drawer since I like to stock up on items that might fail (don't like being held up a few days waiting for parts). Thanks to this thread from Moptokid and the excellent photos, I waded on in and got 'er done. Took about an hour and 20 minutes as I took my time and did not want to forget anything. Works like a charm now. Thanks again for the information.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures   Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures Empty

Back to top Go down

Clutch Cable Broke - repair - pictures
Page 1 of 1