Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

NEW DRIVE SPROCKET: IMPRESSIONS

Go down 
+6
billdorn
YamahaTN
xy500
YZEtc
motokid
st3p
10 posters
AuthorMessage
st3p

NEW DRIVE SPROCKET: IMPRESSIONS Empty
PostSubject: NEW DRIVE SPROCKET: IMPRESSIONS   NEW DRIVE SPROCKET: IMPRESSIONS EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 6:26 am

Hi all,

Yestrday I mounted a new Renthal sprocket 12T on my WR250X.
The work has been a little bit hard mainly to loosen some bolts.

This morning I had a trip to work with the bike and:
I have to say that I am not happy about this mod because the bike seems to not gain acceleration but has lost a lot of top speed...

I think that the bike is slower during acceleration 0-100 Km/h (or o-60 mph) because i loose more time to change the speeds.
Before I arrived to 100 Km/h in 3th speed now I have to change in 4th and lost some time :nono:

The 1st and 2nd speed are really too short and sometimes I have been passed by some scooter too Rolling Eyes

The top speed is lower too :nono:

The only little fun are the little wheelies during the 1st speed

In conclusion I have to say that I don't advise this mod
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: NEW DRIVE SPROCKET: IMPRESSIONS   NEW DRIVE SPROCKET: IMPRESSIONS EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 6:40 am

If you're getting passed by scooters you're doing something WRONG.

If you had no idea you'd lose top speed by going from 13 to 12 you're not reading around this forum enough.
If you did not understand that you'd be running out of rpm's faster in first and second gear especially you're not reading enough.

Give it some time.

You've got yourself more low end grunt and less top end speed.

Which do you want? How often are you running past 85mph in 6th gear and looking for more?

Your speedometer is off by a very decent margin now (15% or so off) unless you have a speedo corrector or gps. Perhaps you don't know exactly what's going on.

I really don't understand your post about losing time shifting gears......

You're getting better grunt in more useable rpm ranges as opposed to more top end speed.
Assuming you're not spending large amounts of time on freeways you should be getting from point A to point B faster - not slower.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: NEW DRIVE SPROCKET: IMPRESSIONS   NEW DRIVE SPROCKET: IMPRESSIONS EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 8:14 am

I do acknowledge that different people like different things. Different strokes for different folks.

A 12t might not be for you.

I just think perhaps you expected something different, or more than what you actually got.

If it ain't fun for you then great. Relatively speaking it's a very inexpensive learning for you.

At least you didn't buy a PCV with Autotune and then find out you can't feel much difference in performance. thumb

FmF Q4

Last edited by motokid on Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
st3p

PostSubject: Re: NEW DRIVE SPROCKET: IMPRESSIONS   NEW DRIVE SPROCKET: IMPRESSIONS EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 8:25 am

I read enough trust me Very happy

I made this mod because I use the bike in the traffic so I don't need speed over 100 Km/h except during week end...

Mounting it I lost acceleration because now to reach 100 Km/h I have to shift in the 4th speed (I have gps and chronometer)
As you surely know every shift is a lost of time during acceleration deal

The bike in 0-100 Km/h with 13 sprocket was faster than now with smaller sprocket. I have lost about 0,5 sec! bert

Now the conclusion is that I lost top speed and acceleration both...

So i don't find any advantage to made this mod

Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: NEW DRIVE SPROCKET: IMPRESSIONS   NEW DRIVE SPROCKET: IMPRESSIONS EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 2:11 pm

If that's how you feel about it, that's just fine for you.

With both the WR-250R and WR-250X I've owned, lowering the gearing gave me a good feeling, me on my bike was definately faster through the gears while acellerating, and the bike just felt better overall to me.
So, I feel the opposite than you do about it.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: NEW DRIVE SPROCKET: IMPRESSIONS   NEW DRIVE SPROCKET: IMPRESSIONS EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 3:21 pm

If it takes you longer to go from 0-100 kph (0-62 mph) by gearing down one tooth in front then you are surely doing something wrong.

Just because you have to shift into 4th gear instead of leaving bike in 3rd does not mean it takes you longer to get up to a certain speed.

And, once again, your speedometer is more out of whack now than it was before.

So unless you're going by a gps or a corrected speedometer perhaps you're not correct about the time it takes to get to 62 mph.

As stated though - it's your bike and your happiness. That's all that matters.

Happy trails.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
xy500

PostSubject: Re: NEW DRIVE SPROCKET: IMPRESSIONS   NEW DRIVE SPROCKET: IMPRESSIONS EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 11:23 pm

if he hadn't adjusted the speedometer, he wouldn't be changing extra gears to reach a set speed. As the ratio from output shaft to speedo remains the same.
Back to top Go down
YamahaTN

PostSubject: Re: NEW DRIVE SPROCKET: IMPRESSIONS   NEW DRIVE SPROCKET: IMPRESSIONS EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 8:40 pm

I did this mod and love it. Matter of fact I am putting a new 12t on now as the last one was about worn out. The advantage for me is climbing steep hills out on the trails where I've got lots of roots and rocks to negotiate. While I am not speed demon, the 12t made trail riding much easier/fun.

Back to top Go down
st3p

PostSubject: Re: NEW DRIVE SPROCKET: IMPRESSIONS   NEW DRIVE SPROCKET: IMPRESSIONS EmptyMon Jun 18, 2012 5:33 am

I get speed by GPS:

0-100 before the change of sprocket was about 0,5 sec faster

To achieve 100 Km/h (GPS) I was in 3rd
To achieve 100 Km/h (GPS) I have to be in 4th now

On the road the 1st and 2nd speeds are so short that the bike has not time to accelerate that arrives to the limiter soon

May be that in the dirt the WR250R is funny with a smaller sprocket but
on the road I don't advise this mod

PS I have to say that this forum is beautiful and I found a lot of nice riders and a lot of information to improve my bike but I would like to be honest with this mod thumb

Back to top Go down
billdorn

PostSubject: Re: NEW DRIVE SPROCKET: IMPRESSIONS   NEW DRIVE SPROCKET: IMPRESSIONS EmptyMon Jun 18, 2012 11:37 am

i just swapped the 13 for a 12 this weekend and a 45 for the 43 in the rear to maximize the amount of low end torque i could get without needing a new chain, didnt want to waste my brand new one already.

I couldnt disagree more with this post. My bike is way faster 0 to 60 now. first and 2nd gear are actually usefull now. and im not stalling out in first gear turning around on the road or in the driveway because i dont have to be feathering the clutch all the time. Cant wait to try this on the trails now. on my gravel driveway im actually spinning out and throwing rocks all the way to 3rd gear. on the street, 1st and 2nd shifts are now neck snapping.

way better !!!

i will add though, that i have never driven a street bike before and this thing just felt wierd to me coming from 2 stroke dirt bikes as a kid. this is my first bike in 20 years.

st3p wrote:
I get speed by GPS:

0-100 before the change of sprocket was about 0,5 sec faster

To achieve 100 Km/h (GPS) I was in 3rd
To achieve 100 Km/h (GPS) I have to be in 4th now

On the road the 1st and 2nd speeds are so short that the bike has not time to accelerate that arrives to the limiter soon

May be that in the dirt the WR250R is funny with a smaller sprocket but
on the road I don't advise this mod

PS I have to say that this forum is beautiful and I found a lot of nice riders and a lot of information to improve my bike but I would like to be honest with this mod thumb

Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: NEW DRIVE SPROCKET: IMPRESSIONS   NEW DRIVE SPROCKET: IMPRESSIONS EmptyMon Jun 18, 2012 2:40 pm

I run 12/44 with SM rims and 12/47 with my dirt setup. I can get a HIGHER top speed running the 12/44 then I can running 13/44 on the highway. The bike doesn't have the power in the top end to get the bike to speed. I think I am going to go to 12/45 for the road and try that out.

My $0.02
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: NEW DRIVE SPROCKET: IMPRESSIONS   NEW DRIVE SPROCKET: IMPRESSIONS EmptyMon Jun 18, 2012 3:25 pm

billdorn wrote:
I couldnt disagree more with this post. My bike is way faster 0 to 60 now.

deal

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: NEW DRIVE SPROCKET: IMPRESSIONS   NEW DRIVE SPROCKET: IMPRESSIONS EmptyMon Jun 25, 2012 11:03 am

If you're experiencing slower 0-60 because 1st is hitting red-line and losing time on the shift, try starting in 2nd and feathering the clutch.
Back to top Go down
byron555

PostSubject: gearing to low   NEW DRIVE SPROCKET: IMPRESSIONS EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 11:18 pm

I just changed my gearing from stock to a rear 49t and a front 14t. I was going on an off-road trip and left the stock 13t on (lower than 12-43)... great off-road, but I lost acceleration and top-end, 0-30 was great, but it dropped off after. (112 link chain by the way)

When I got back I put the 14t on with the 49t, and it is better all the way around. This gearing is not as low as just switching to a 12t with the 43t. In the tight technical stuff the 13-49 was great, fast running sucked!

The bike is a 250, a great one at that, but there are limitations, there is a sweet spot for all around gearing and it is about 3.5 (14-49) reduction.

I would go no larger than a 50t in the rear. Of course it all depends on your riding
Back to top Go down
Swagger

Swagger

PostSubject: Re: NEW DRIVE SPROCKET: IMPRESSIONS   NEW DRIVE SPROCKET: IMPRESSIONS EmptySat Aug 04, 2012 12:19 am

billdorn wrote:
I couldnt disagree more with this post. My bike is way faster 0 to 60 now.

+1
I went up 3 in the back, and someone correct me if wrong, is just like dropping 1 in the front. scratch HUGE difference! I commute daily and would never go back! Much faster 0-60 tested by the ever accurate butt Dyno! deal

Put the stopwatch away....its a kick ass 250 - not a dragbike amazon
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NEW DRIVE SPROCKET: IMPRESSIONS   NEW DRIVE SPROCKET: IMPRESSIONS Empty

Back to top Go down

NEW DRIVE SPROCKET: IMPRESSIONS
Page 1 of 1