Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Highway Dirt bikes system will not work with factory bar!

Go down 
+3
gatorfan
Bikeman
papi4baby
7 posters
AuthorMessage
papi4baby

papi4baby

Highway Dirt bikes system will not work with factory bar! Empty
PostSubject: Highway Dirt bikes system will not work with factory bar!   Highway Dirt bikes system will not work with factory bar! EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 12:15 pm

Well.

The tap they sent and inserts just dangle on the inside of the bar.

The only reason i went with the 7/8 is just so i could use the factory stuff since there's nothing wrong with it. I sent them an email but reading around the internet it looks like they take a while to respond.

I almost feel like returning them. Also my top clamp does not have the engraving with HDV nor bolt pattern?

GAHHHH

Any ideas guys/gals?
Back to top Go down
Bikeman

PostSubject: Re: Highway Dirt bikes system will not work with factory bar!   Highway Dirt bikes system will not work with factory bar! EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 2:24 pm

Email the owner (Dave). He is great. Stock bars are steel so inner diameter is too big for HDB setup. Can either get aluminum 7/8 inch bars or he made me a great deal on upgrading to 1-1/8 setup.
Owner is a standup guy and very helpful. Best to leave him a phone # so you can discuss back and forth vs. multiple emails.
Back to top Go down
papi4baby

papi4baby

PostSubject: Re: Highway Dirt bikes system will not work with factory bar!   Highway Dirt bikes system will not work with factory bar! EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 2:27 pm

I did already.

Thanks. If i have to get bars i rather go up to 1 1/8. But since i already got the 7/8 top clamp i hope he will just swap it out for me. Shog
Back to top Go down
papi4baby

papi4baby

PostSubject: Re: Highway Dirt bikes system will not work with factory bar!   Highway Dirt bikes system will not work with factory bar! EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 9:46 pm

Well sure enough Paul will replace it for the bigger top clamp.

Since i have to buy bars might as well get the bigger ones.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Highway Dirt bikes system will not work with factory bar!   Highway Dirt bikes system will not work with factory bar! EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 9:53 pm

+1 for Paul at HDB being a stand-up guy. Awesome service when I dealt with him.

I'm surprised you would spend the cash for the most awesome handguards on the planet, yet keep the stock junk bars? Shoulda just gone with fat bars in the process. Nonetheless, you should be able to get a set of 7/8" Renthals in double wall aluminium that will be the proper inside diameter to tap the ends for threaded inserts.

Otherwise, see if HDB can exchange your clamp setup for a 1 1/8" setup (top clamp plus risers).

Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Highway Dirt bikes system will not work with factory bar!   Highway Dirt bikes system will not work with factory bar! EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 5:07 am

Not sure but I think the HDB web site tells you somewhere you can not use the stock bars with their system.
Back to top Go down
slapcorn

slapcorn

PostSubject: Re: Highway Dirt bikes system will not work with factory bar!   Highway Dirt bikes system will not work with factory bar! EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 8:54 am

Their website is not really informative so if you don't know all your shit you will get frustrated. Happened to me. Luckily the owner will help - reach out to him.
Back to top Go down
papi4baby

papi4baby

PostSubject: Re: Highway Dirt bikes system will not work with factory bar!   Highway Dirt bikes system will not work with factory bar! EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 10:58 am

MotoJunkie wrote:
+1 for Paul at HDB being a stand-up guy. Awesome service when I dealt with him.

I'm surprised you would spend the cash for the most awesome handguards on the planet, yet keep the stock junk bars? Shoulda just gone with fat bars in the process. Nonetheless, you should be able to get a set of 7/8" Renthals in double wall aluminium that will be the proper inside diameter to tap the ends for threaded inserts.

Otherwise, see if HDB can exchange your clamp setup for a 1 1/8" setup (top clamp plus risers).

Well i wanted to wait till the factory stuff broke. Easier to justafy the money leaving your wallet.
gatorfan wrote:
Not sure but I think the HDB web site tells you somewhere you can not use the stock bars with their system.
I found it in some pdf file but it was not very clear. And only after the fact. I actually google it and ended up on a Honda forum and another guy was posting about it.

slapcorn wrote:
Their website is not really informative so if you don't know all your shit you will get frustrated. Happened to me. Luckily the owner will help - reach out to him.
Yup. Pretty much.

If the website was clear about it i would most likely not purchase it and go with something that fits the factory bars. Because like i stated i would have waited till they broke.
Back to top Go down
Oznerol

PostSubject: Re: Highway Dirt bikes system will not work with factory bar!   Highway Dirt bikes system will not work with factory bar! EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 3:36 am

gatorfan wrote:

The site definitely mentions that the threaded inserts won't work with steel bars; It's right on the page for the 7/8ths handguard kits:

Quote :
Please note steel handlebars are not supported with the threaded inserts, it is recommended to upgrade to aluminum handlebars.

I stuck a magnet to my stock bars to confirm they were steel, then ordered the 1 1/8th handguard kit, including a bar with the inserts already installed.
Back to top Go down
papi4baby

papi4baby

PostSubject: Re: Highway Dirt bikes system will not work with factory bar!   Highway Dirt bikes system will not work with factory bar! EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 3:32 pm

Oznerol wrote:
gatorfan wrote:

The site definitely mentions that the threaded inserts won't work with steel bars; It's right on the page for the 7/8ths handguard kits:

Quote :
Please note steel handlebars are not supported with the threaded inserts, it is recommended to upgrade to aluminum handlebars.

I stuck a magnet to my stock bars to confirm they were steel, then ordered the 1 1/8th handguard kit, including a bar with the inserts already installed.

Now that you mentioned it i went and found it.

Mea culpa.

Still i would think something like that would be i don't know maybe bold or maybe with bigger warning type lettering.

Just my opinion.

Paul took care of me so no issues on my side.
Back to top Go down
woodygumdrops

woodygumdrops

PostSubject: Re: Highway Dirt bikes system will not work with factory bar!   Highway Dirt bikes system will not work with factory bar! EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 5:17 pm

Man, first I had to order a new bottom clamp because the universal Pro Taper one I have now, comes off set and won't accommodate the HDB top clamp. Then trying to thread the 5/8'' tap into the Pro Taper bars was not smooth at all. Ended up stripping a couple millimeters off the end of the tap. I think the Pro taper bar ends need to be drilled out some before fitting that tap in.
Anyone else have this problem? I'm thinking of returning them myself and putting the $200 plus towards other mods!

Just an update.. Ended up returning the HDB hand guards.
I was finally able to thread my Pastrana Bend FMX bars after using a drill bit to bore out the ends. It was a good arm burn threading the tap in all the way too.
All that work and the guards are too long! Just a heads up, if you have chopped your bar ends more than a half inch, this system will not work!
Back to top Go down
bluzharp

PostSubject: Re: Highway Dirt bikes system will not work with factory bar!   Highway Dirt bikes system will not work with factory bar! EmptySat May 11, 2013 6:42 pm

I was unable to tap my Renthal bar with the included tap from HDB. It wouldn't start, no matter what. (I have many years experience tapping, fabbing, and machining.) I pulled out one of my own taps and waddayaknow, it worked just like it was supposed to. I also machined a delrin guide to line the tap up perfectly for starting it straight.

So, yeah, the included tap is pretty much junk.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Highway Dirt bikes system will not work with factory bar!   Highway Dirt bikes system will not work with factory bar! Empty

Back to top Go down

Highway Dirt bikes system will not work with factory bar!
Page 1 of 1