Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Terrible fuel economy... brand new bike

Go down 
+8
mudmojo
YZEtc
sturgeon
motokid
oic0
Coop
IAmABug
shep546
12 posters
AuthorMessage
shep546

Terrible fuel economy... brand new bike Empty
PostSubject: Terrible fuel economy... brand new bike   Terrible fuel economy... brand new bike EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 6:45 pm

Hey guys, my wr250r just had it's first servicing done. I've noticed lately my fuel economy is pretty bad... I'm getting about 60miles or so until my gas light comes on with a full tank. Most of my driving is "town driving" long roads not a lot of stop and go traffic... is this typical of a bike still in it's break in?
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: Terrible fuel economy... brand new bike   Terrible fuel economy... brand new bike EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 6:51 pm

Sounds low. I was getting 150kms before my light came on. 2011 WRR. Now, with lower gearing and a programmer I am getting about 110kms before the light.
Back to top Go down
Coop

Coop

PostSubject: Re: Terrible fuel economy... brand new bike   Terrible fuel economy... brand new bike EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 8:04 pm

To be honest I bought my bike with 189 miles and only rode it twice before I installed an IMS 3 gallon tank. With the 3 gallon tank my light comes on around 150 miles, I get between 62-67 mpg depending on how hard I ride. Lots of highway commuting miles.
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Terrible fuel economy... brand new bike   Terrible fuel economy... brand new bike EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 8:27 pm

shep546 wrote:
Hey guys, my wr250r just had it's first servicing done. I've noticed lately my fuel economy is pretty bad... I'm getting about 60miles or so until my gas light comes on with a full tank. Most of my driving is "town driving" long roads not a lot of stop and go traffic... is this typical of a bike still in it's break in?

No its not typical. There must be a problem. On a well running bike you have to abuse the heck out of it to get mileage like that.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Terrible fuel economy... brand new bike   Terrible fuel economy... brand new bike EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 8:40 pm

Yeah - 40 miles per gallon is very low.

Something isn't right.

Bike is totally stock I assume?

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
shep546

PostSubject: Re: Terrible fuel economy... brand new bike   Terrible fuel economy... brand new bike EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 8:41 pm

Bike is stock, I don't beat on it... I just filled it almost to the top and reset my trip meter I'm gonna keep a close eye on this tank and if my light comes on early again I'll take it back to the dealer to see whats up.
Back to top Go down
sturgeon

sturgeon

PostSubject: Re: Terrible fuel economy... brand new bike   Terrible fuel economy... brand new bike EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 8:15 am

Make sure your odometer is reasonably close to correct.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Terrible fuel economy... brand new bike   Terrible fuel economy... brand new bike EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 11:34 am

Your odometer isn't reading in kilometers, is it?

Edit:
Actually, scratch that - measuring kilometers would show a higher value on your odometer. :)

I would get somewhere about that fuel range (probably five or six miles more) on my 2008 WR-250X that was ridden like a sport bike on the street.
If I were to ride it with smaller throttle openings as in only using it to commute from point A to point B, the fuel range would have been better.
Back to top Go down
mudmojo

PostSubject: Re: Terrible fuel economy... brand new bike   Terrible fuel economy... brand new bike EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 12:58 am

shep546 wrote:

If you filled it up after the low fuel light came on, how much gas were you able to jam in there? Maybe it's just the low fuel warning being triggered too early?

Was the bad fuel economy measured with the original engine oil and not the oil they put in at the first service? Wondering if there was a swap to a 50 weight oil that could be affecting economy?

Also wondering if the tank was filled all the way. There would a difference between how much fuel a straddled bike (fully upright) versus, say, a link lowered bike leaning on a sidestand at a low angle would both take.

Hope you find the issue!
Back to top Go down
Brianr4

Brianr4

PostSubject: MPG drop after CO change.   Terrible fuel economy... brand new bike EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 11:15 am

I changed my CO from 0 to +4 recently. After making the change my bike seemed to respond much better, the front wheel would easily lift up just by using the throttle in first gear. After driving around for a while I put gas in it and it took 1.1 gallons and I only put 52 miles on it.
Prior to the change I was getting about 66 miles to a gallon.
Back to top Go down
MOTO134

MOTO134

PostSubject: Re: Terrible fuel economy... brand new bike   Terrible fuel economy... brand new bike EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 1:25 pm

if i remember right i would get 100 miles or so when my bike was stock before the fuel light came on
Back to top Go down
Cadillac49601

PostSubject: Re: Terrible fuel economy... brand new bike   Terrible fuel economy... brand new bike EmptyWed May 20, 2020 8:25 pm

I just picked up a 2013 with big bore pipe and programmer. First tank gave me 36mpg when filled per owners manual. I emailed Thumper Racing today for suggested settings.
Back to top Go down
DPete

DPete

PostSubject: Re: Terrible fuel economy... brand new bike   Terrible fuel economy... brand new bike EmptyThu May 21, 2020 11:09 am

Coop wrote:
To be honest I bought my bike with 189 miles and only rode it twice before I installed an IMS 3 gallon tank. With the 3 gallon tank my light comes on around 150 miles, I get between 62-67 mpg depending on how hard I ride. Lots of highway commuting miles.
Same here, stock gearing & pipe, desmog
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Terrible fuel economy... brand new bike   Terrible fuel economy... brand new bike Empty

Back to top Go down

Terrible fuel economy... brand new bike
Page 1 of 1