Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Help choosing luggage

Go down 
+9
Delta_T
ratthing
Arkmage
ET-VT
YamahaTN
saddletramp
Coop
longtallsally
shep546
13 posters
AuthorMessage
shep546

Help choosing luggage Empty
PostSubject: Help choosing luggage   Help choosing luggage EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 5:57 pm

Hey guys,

I want something small I can put on my bike to store small items, water bottle, my insurance papers etc. I would like to avoid a tank bag as it can be a pain taking it off for fueling all the time.

I picked up a tail bag to try and strap over my rear fender but I found I can't get my leg over the bike with it there (and I'm 6'0.) but I see guys on here all the time with big bags on the back?

Any tips?
Back to top Go down
longtallsally

longtallsally

PostSubject: Re: Help choosing luggage   Help choosing luggage EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 1:47 am

You are gonna get a MILLION responses to this as there are a MILLION options. Honestly, the tank bag is probably the best option especially if a tail bag makes it hard to swing your leg over. There are also the Wolfman enduro saddle bags in the rear that can be removed really easily that might be a good choice too.

Here is a shot that might as well be an ad for Wolfman as I really like their stuff. I actually am probably selling the enduro bags as I want something a bit bigger and will be getting the rear racks and saddle bags. Wanna buy them?

Help choosing luggage DSC0602-L
Back to top Go down
Coop

Coop

PostSubject: Re: Help choosing luggage   Help choosing luggage EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 8:07 am

Best picture I have. I had a Givi box but like you, I couldn't mount the bike with it on there. I went with a Pelican 1150 box. About $30 on Amazon, I had already drilled holes for the Givi plate so I just used those; however bolted to a rack would be a nicer setup.

Edit: I should add I wanted a plastic box for everyday commuting for water protection and so I could put a small lock on it. Soft luggage is great unless you park somewhere you have to worry about people going through your stuff. I park near a tech school and was warned to keep everything locked up when I started.

Help choosing luggage 2012-06-14_19-03-52_713
Back to top Go down
shep546

PostSubject: Re: Help choosing luggage   Help choosing luggage EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 9:31 am

Thanks for the replys, I have a hard time seeing how I could mount the bike even with the little pelican case, you can swing your leg all the way over it? Maybe I need to work on my flexibility... and for longstallsally I have no clue how you get on you must just stick your leg straight out across?
Back to top Go down
Coop

Coop

PostSubject: Re: Help choosing luggage   Help choosing luggage EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 9:41 am

That picture has the lid open so it looks taller. I am 5'10"ish and have had two back surgeries so my flexibility is poor. But I mount the bike without issue with the Pelican on there.
Back to top Go down
longtallsally

longtallsally

PostSubject: Re: Help choosing luggage   Help choosing luggage EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 11:07 am

shep546 wrote:
Thanks for the replys, I have a hard time seeing how I could mount the bike even with the little pelican case, you can swing your leg all the way over it? Maybe I need to work on my flexibility... and for longstallsally I have no clue how you get on you must just stick your leg straight out across?

HAHA! Well, I'm 6'7" so that helps, but I actually do a karate type kick to get my boot over and then a one legged hop to get the rest of the way on. I have to do the same on my GS when it is loaded as well.

So you don't wanna buy the rear saddlebags? wink
Back to top Go down
saddletramp

PostSubject: Re: Help choosing luggage   Help choosing luggage EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 12:39 pm

Just mount it like a horse using the peg instead of a stirrup.
Back to top Go down
shep546

PostSubject: Re: Help choosing luggage   Help choosing luggage EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 1:30 pm

[quote="longtallsally"]
shep546 wrote:

So you don't wanna buy the rear saddlebags? wink

Sorry I don't need anything that big I think the pelican case might be a good idea...

Quote :
Just mount it like a horse using the peg instead of a stirrup.

I never thought of that! I'll have to give it a try...

is there a guide for mounting the pelican case? Obviously you must need some sort of mount?
Back to top Go down
Coop

Coop

PostSubject: Re: Help choosing luggage   Help choosing luggage EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 4:51 pm

I just used the hole templates in the underside of the fender and marked then drilled holes in the box. The I used screws and metal+rubber washer down through the box with nuts and lock washers under the fender. I also used nylon washers as spacers in between the box and the fender just because I had them here and it seemed like a good idea haha.

I already had the holes drilled in the fender from when I had the Givi base plate mounted. I also figured since a new rear fender is pretty cheap I didn't mind drilling holes in it.

I have heard of more than one side stand bending while mounting the bike standing on the pegs with with the side stand down. So be cautious when doing that.
Back to top Go down
shep546

PostSubject: Re: Help choosing luggage   Help choosing luggage EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 5:39 pm

Coop wrote:
I just used the hole templates in the underside of the fender and marked then drilled holes in the box. The I used screws and metal+rubber washer down through the box with nuts and lock washers under the fender. I also used nylon washers as spacers in between the box and the fender just because I had them here and it seemed like a good idea haha.

I already had the holes drilled in the fender from when I had the Givi base plate mounted. I also figured since a new rear fender is pretty cheap I didn't mind drilling holes in it.

I have heard of more than one side stand bending while mounting the bike standing on the pegs with with the side stand down. So be cautious when doing that.

Thanks, I might have to try that out.
Back to top Go down
YamahaTN

PostSubject: Re: Help choosing luggage   Help choosing luggage EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 8:25 pm

shep546 wrote:

Not really. I can't swing my leg over eather with the spare fuel tank and Giant Loop bag that I have on my bike. I have to step on the left peg and then swing over. Might look a little silly and you have to be careful that you park somewhere that the kickstand won't sink. I am not the only one in my group that gets on and off a bike that way.

I have a Giant Loop Mojave on my WR and I really love it. I am riding tough stuff in terms of bouncing over rocks and through mud holes. While the bag is not waterproof, it has held up extremenly well to my crashes. Most of my wrecks are slow speed drops. I mostly carry tools in it so it is holding some weight. It has clips to hold it across the rear about where the seat ends and straps that I run across the frame. I never know it's back there. Anything such as registration papers that must stay dry I just put in a plastic bag. My phone stays in the little top compartment so it is just about impossible for it to get damaged......even the way I ride.

Back to top Go down
ET-VT

PostSubject: Re: Help choosing luggage   Help choosing luggage EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 1:24 pm

longtallsally wrote:
I actually am probably selling the enduro bags as I want something a bit bigger and will be getting the rear racks and saddle bags. Wanna buy them?

I'd probably be willing to buy them if the condition and price are right. I'm going to need something for camping trips and I'd rather not put racks on for the couple times a year I'll be doing that. What is it that you need more room for?
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: Help choosing luggage   Help choosing luggage EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 1:53 pm

I'm 5'11", using a GIVI 46L topbox.

The trick to getting on for me is to make sure my man bits are sitting almost on the gas cap and lean forward onto the handle bars. As long as my hips are even with the front of the seat I can get on/off without more than a mild scuff of the boot on the front of the box.
Back to top Go down
Coop

Coop

PostSubject: Re: Help choosing luggage   Help choosing luggage EmptySun Jun 24, 2012 10:55 am

Two pics I took on my ride yesterday. You can see the Pelican box much better in these:

Help choosing luggage 2012-06-23_09-54-43_99
Help choosing luggage 2012-06-23_10-08-43_535
Back to top Go down
ratthing

ratthing

PostSubject: Re: Help choosing luggage   Help choosing luggage EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 12:48 am

For my commute, where my bike is parked in my work's secured parking lot, I have a small "tail bag" that's actually the top pocket off a Dana Designs backpack. The pocket was designed to be taken off and used as a butt pack for day hikes when you have a base camp. I added a 1" strap with buckles. That strap goes under my seat and clips to the pocket. There's another set of connectors that clipped the pocket to the backpack; I wrap those around the fender just behind the seat.

I can fit a string backpack with lunch, my Kindle or similar sized book, and a 1L bottle of water in there, easily. There's probably room for a small tool roll and small FAK. I also keep my ANSI 2 reflective vest in it. The "tail bag" is really low profile. I think I got it for $5 off someone on ADV rider several years back.

I keep my registration and insurance in a waterproof zip bag in my jacket pocket, rather than on the bike. It's too hot here most of the time to leave my helmet on the bike, so it goes with me when I get off the bike.

=RT=
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help choosing luggage   Help choosing luggage EmptyTue Jul 03, 2012 3:53 pm

I like the Wolfman Enduro tank bag for small items. It does need to be partially detached to refuel. I use a backpack for the larger items when trail riding, to keep the back of the bike free for gymnastics...
Back to top Go down
Delta_T

Delta_T

PostSubject: Re: Help choosing luggage   Help choosing luggage EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 9:15 am

I just strap on my bag, nothing fancy Shog
It is actually very flexible. I use the bag for everything. It doesn't fall off and the size varies with what I put in it.

Help choosing luggage IMG_1914
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Help choosing luggage   Help choosing luggage EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 5:06 pm

Another vote for a Wolflman enduro tank bag. Small, pretty out of the way, holds plenty for most day trips, and not really that much of a pita to move to the side to fill up.
Back to top Go down
jon_l

jon_l

PostSubject: Re: Help choosing luggage   Help choosing luggage EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 5:40 pm

Here's one more vote for the Wolfman Enduro tank bag.

Seriously, all it takes is to undo one of the 3 Fastex buckles (I undo the left one, leaving the right and the one that goes around the steering head), move the bag out of the way, refuel, clip the buckle again. It might be 15 seconds of extra effort over not having a tank bag.

Help choosing luggage 7489101060_a5d8aa62c2_z

Perfect for what I carry most short, day-rides: sunglasses, earplugs, reading glasses, micro-flashlight, zip-ties, metal single electrical box blank cover plate to use under the kickstand when parking on new asphalt or soft soil, a 1/2 liter Nalgene water bottle. Plus I keep a golf-pencil in it so I can record my mileage for each fill-up.
Back to top Go down
shep546

PostSubject: Re: Help choosing luggage   Help choosing luggage EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 5:48 pm

I think that settles it, I guess I'm gonna have to order one.

How does it do with sitting in the rain?
Back to top Go down
morgan9283

PostSubject: Re: Help choosing luggage   Help choosing luggage EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 12:01 pm

shep546 wrote:
I think that settles it, I guess I'm gonna have to order one.

How does it do with sitting in the rain?

It gets wet. It's not waterproof at all but does shed rain for a bit. Wolfman sells a rain cover for it.

On that subject, the enduro tank bag is a little hard to get off the bike as the front strap wraps around the frame and on the WR you probably want to fish it under the wires on either side of the frame. This isn't an issue if you don't take it off much but if security is an issue or you want to take it off to keep it dry it's harder to get off than most tank bags that just have 3-4 clips.

I see they just updated the mounting system so that might take care of it.

-morgan
Back to top Go down
Prairieparson

PostSubject: Re: Help choosing luggage   Help choosing luggage EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 5:18 pm

I put on Nelson bags. They come with a rain cover. Great for general use. If I go on a long trip, I might have to get something better.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help choosing luggage   Help choosing luggage Empty

Back to top Go down

Help choosing luggage
Page 1 of 1