Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

One piece chains vs. master link chain

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
mwakey

mwakey

One piece chains vs. master link chain Empty
PostSubject: One piece chains vs. master link chain   One piece chains vs. master link chain EmptyMon Jul 13, 2009 7:17 am

OK, so I am toying with changing my gearing and want to go with something bigger in the rear which will require a longer chain. I have never had to deal with buying a new chain on any bike I've owned, since I never changed gears before or owned a bike long enough to wear out a chain. I don't like the idea of a master link and would really prefer a continuous one piece chain like the stocker. My question is who makes such a chain? I would like to get an X-ring chain from all the good I have read about them. Does anyone make a one piece X-ring chain?
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

PostSubject: Re: One piece chains vs. master link chain   One piece chains vs. master link chain EmptyMon Jul 13, 2009 10:03 am

The description of a 'continuous link' chain is a bit of a misnomer. The options are really between a 'clip style' master link and a 'rivet link'. (with a few variations)

A lot of folks say a clip style link is fine on a small bike. I've used them and there is also one currently on my wife's KLR. I have also have had problems with them and won't by another clip style one if I can help it.

I have a chain riveting tool (RK Racing brand I believe) That I use to install the rivet links on my chains. When I replaced the chain on my WRX I used an RK Racing X-ring chain. When I replaced the chain on my Ducati this spring I think I used a DID X-ring chain. I don't think the brand matters too much as long as it's a reputable brand. The rivet tool can be expensive, but then it's easy.
Back to top Go down
edteamslr

edteamslr

PostSubject: Re: One piece chains vs. master link chain   One piece chains vs. master link chain EmptyMon Jul 13, 2009 10:11 am

Get yourself a chain tool and it'll be a good chance to practice on a new chain. I use rivet links on all my chains but I'd use either split links or rivet links.
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: One piece chains vs. master link chain   One piece chains vs. master link chain EmptyMon Jul 13, 2009 11:04 am

Good info guys. Thanks.

What do you mean by split links?
Back to top Go down
edteamslr

edteamslr

PostSubject: Re: One piece chains vs. master link chain   One piece chains vs. master link chain EmptyMon Jul 13, 2009 11:24 am

Clip links and rivet links (types of split link). My mistake
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: One piece chains vs. master link chain   One piece chains vs. master link chain EmptyMon Jul 13, 2009 12:41 pm

Gotcha. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
dirtytrixx400

dirtytrixx400

PostSubject: Re: One piece chains vs. master link chain   One piece chains vs. master link chain EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 7:08 pm

what gear ratio are ya looking at for your x?

on the masterlink....personally i've never had any problems with the clip type,except for a cpl of times i replaced the clip itself from it wearing a little thin from rubbing on the lower chain guide....probably wouldn't have ever caused a problem,but i had some from other chains, so no biggie. this was not on the wrr....

this is the first bike i've ever had that didn't have a masterlink.

oh ...by the way...if you do go clip type,most are not interchangeable between brands....or even different models of chain of the same brand. each are specific to it's own chain brand and type(for example d.i.d. has a few different o or x ring 520 chain models and each has different pin lengths and side plate thickness)...same for other brands too.
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: One piece chains vs. master link chain   One piece chains vs. master link chain EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 9:56 pm

Thanks for the info. I got to admit I'm a rookie when it comes to chains. I understand it all, just never had any experience actually dealing with them as far as buying a new one or having to deal with the different types of master links. So I guess the answer is nobody sells a continuous chain like the stocker. They all want you to buy their expensive tools to rivet the thing together yourself, or use the clip type master link (which I would rather stay away from). Personally, I wouldn't mind taking the swing arm off and installing a one piece chain. Don't see why they couldn't sell the same chains already assembled for those that want a riveted chain without having to buy special tools.

Anyhow, enough rant.

I was thinking of going to a 13/44 (3.38) just to get a little more "umph" off the line, and maybe a little more control at the lower speeds, without taking too much from the top. With the stock chain, I don't see enough slack (or should I say, adjustment) leftover if I go to a 44 rear. I figure I need to go with a 110 link chain.
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

PostSubject: Re: One piece chains vs. master link chain   One piece chains vs. master link chain EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 10:09 pm

Most anyone's chain tool will work on most any brand of chain.

There is another option. If you buy from a shop you can get them to rivet it together to your specified length (usually at no extra cost) and then you can put it on my removing the swing arm or whatever you need to do.

I just ended up getting a riveting tool because I hate being at the mercy of some shop's stocking policies and shop schedule. Now when my chain's getting close, I make sure I have the right size one on the shelf (ie. 520, 525, etc.) and I can put it on whenever I need it.
Back to top Go down
dirtytrixx400

dirtytrixx400

PostSubject: Re: One piece chains vs. master link chain   One piece chains vs. master link chain EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 10:33 pm

mwakey wrote:
Thanks for the info. I got to admit I'm a rookie when it comes to chains. I understand it all, just never had any experience actually dealing with them as far as buying a new one or having to deal with the different types of master links. So I guess the answer is nobody sells a continuous chain like the stocker. They all want you to buy their expensive tools to rivet the thing together yourself, or use the clip type master link (which I would rather stay away from). Personally, I wouldn't mind taking the swing arm off and installing a one piece chain. Don't see why they couldn't sell the same chains already assembled for those that want a riveted chain without having to buy special tools.

Anyhow, enough rant.

I was thinking of going to a 13/44 (3.38) just to get a little more "umph" off the line, and maybe a little more control at the lower speeds, without taking too much from the top. With the stock chain, I don't see enough slack (or should I say, adjustment) leftover if I go to a 44 rear. I figure I need to go with a 110 link chain.

your gonna like...scratch that...love how it pulls all the gears much better.....i would suggest even a 13/45 or 46 for your x. i promise it doesn't make it into a constant shifting type bike,but rather with the lower gearing you can actually use 4th 5th and 6th more like normal.

go with at least a 112 link....the 110 with 13/43 has it pulled up close to the very first line up mark....should have been 112 from the factory.
your about to up the fun factor for your bike beavis
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: One piece chains vs. master link chain   One piece chains vs. master link chain EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 10:38 pm

Well, I'm sure when it's all said and done, I'll end up buying the tool and doing it myself. Hell, I got so much into this thing now, no sense in cutting up the credit card yet. Very happy
Back to top Go down
dirtytrixx400

dirtytrixx400

PostSubject: Re: One piece chains vs. master link chain   One piece chains vs. master link chain EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 10:45 pm

mwakey wrote:
Well, I'm sure when it's all said and done, I'll end up buying the tool and doing it myself. Hell, I got so much into this thing now, no sense in cutting up the credit card yet. Very happy

i feel your pain...lol...but that's what 2nd mortgages/equity lines are made for....to pay off those plastic nightmares...

my second ex-wife schooled me on those "fun" types of things..lol baldy
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: One piece chains vs. master link chain   One piece chains vs. master link chain EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 10:48 pm

dirtytrixx400 wrote:
your gonna like...scratch that...love how it pulls all the gears much better.....i would suggest even a 13/45 or 46 for your x. i promise it doesn't make it into a constant shifting type bike,but rather with the lower gearing you can actually use 4th 5th and 6th more like normal.

go with at least a 112 link....the 110 with 13/43 has it pulled up close to the very first line up mark....should have been 112 from the factory.
your about to up the fun factor for your bike beavis

Both the X and R have 108 link from the factory. At least that's what the manual says. My stock 13/42 has it pulled up to the first mark too.

I'm not so sure about going as far as 46 on the rear. Seems like it would be winding up too much at say 65-70 MPH. As it is now, I tach about even with my speed.... (ie. 60 MPH = 6000 RPM in 6th, 70 MPH = 7000 RPM in 6th). Anyone with a 46 or larger that can give me a tach reading at 60 MPH in 6th?
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: One piece chains vs. master link chain   One piece chains vs. master link chain EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 11:14 pm

mwakey wrote:
Anyone with a 46 or larger that can give me a tach reading at 60 MPH in 6th?
Yes Grasshopper...

One piece chains vs. master link chain Rpm_di11

6844 rpm doesn't sound like much of a strain to this engine - and lots of revs left if you need them.
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

PostSubject: Re: One piece chains vs. master link chain   One piece chains vs. master link chain EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 11:18 pm

70mph shouldn't be a problem. I can hit that with my 48t.
I think the bike is geared way too high stock. It doesn't really have the power to do anything in 6th. Low gearing makes 6th useful.

Now, if you're planning on runnint at 70+mph all day long, then maybe you want higher gearing. But then again, it's not really meant to be an all day 70+ bike, so you might as well send the Marchesinis to me and get a different bike. Very happy
Back to top Go down
dirtytrixx400

dirtytrixx400

PostSubject: Re: One piece chains vs. master link chain   One piece chains vs. master link chain EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 11:34 pm

ok @ 108 links....i was going on seeing it somewhere as 110 links for stock. anyways go a cpl more like you are doing anyways....the stocker is a little short.

i always buy mine a little longer and cut to fit...but i use the clip type master link...your wanting the press type so yea it needs to be the right length one.
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: One piece chains vs. master link chain   One piece chains vs. master link chain EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 11:46 pm

Nice chart Jäger. Just what I was looking for. thumb And you're right, it doesn't seem like much more with the 46, so a 44 or 45 would even be a bit lower.

You're right ZED, I don't cruise at 70 all day, but the Marchesinis still look good going slow. Sorry, you'll have to get your own. Very happy
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: One piece chains vs. master link chain   One piece chains vs. master link chain EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 11:50 pm

dirtytrixx400 wrote:
ok @ 108 links....i was going on seeing it somewhere as 110 links for stock. anyways go a cpl more like you are doing anyways....the stocker is a little short.

i always buy mine a little longer and cut to fit...but i use the clip type master link...your wanting the press type so yea it needs to be the right length one.

I know what you mean. The stocker is a bit short. They could have given us a 110 so there would be more room for gearing changes. I hate having to buy a new chain just to go up a few teeth.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: One piece chains vs. master link chain   One piece chains vs. master link chain Empty

Back to top Go down

One piece chains vs. master link chain
Page 1 of 1