Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

What "Break-in procedure did you use?

Go down 
+7
IAmABug
bruno
oic0
Coop
GusinCA
Krabill
Prairieparson
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Prairieparson

What "Break-in procedure did you use? Empty
PostSubject: What "Break-in procedure did you use?   What "Break-in procedure did you use? EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 9:04 am

Just brought her home yesterday. Very excited. But then I read the break in recomendations?????????? 1/3 throttle for 600 miles? This seems to be saying I have to spend the first 600 miles not driving more than 40 MPH. Need suggestions. What was your break in procedure?
Back to top Go down
Krabill

PostSubject: Re: What "Break-in procedure did you use?   What "Break-in procedure did you use? EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 10:37 am

I never "take it easy" when I buy a new bike and my WRR was no exception.

Warm it up.

Ride it really hard for 25-50 miles.

Change the oil.

Ride it normally for another 200 miles.

Change the oil.

Ride it normally from here on out changing the oil every 3,000 miles.
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: What "Break-in procedure did you use?   What "Break-in procedure did you use? EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 12:28 pm

Yeah, I took it easy for the first 50-60 miles or so, then ran it a little harder for the next 100 miles. The key is to change the oil and filter at about 200 miles to get any (microscopic) metal out of the system.

After that you should be fine. It's not some exotic Lamborghini engine, and I'm sure they ran it for a few minutes at the factory anyway.

Make sure you check the chain as well after that, it will break in as well. Lube and adjust is all you need to do there. Check all the bolts, they can be loose too, but probably not. That's it for the next 200,000 miles. Just kidding, but this is one of the lowest maintenance, highest reliability bikes I've ever had in my 32 years of riding...
Back to top Go down
Coop

Coop

PostSubject: Re: What "Break-in procedure did you use?   What "Break-in procedure did you use? EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 12:36 pm

The only bike I ever bought brand new was a 2005 SV650N. I followed the manuals break-in procedure and never had an issue. I am not saying you have to, I am just saying I did since it was my first ever brand new bike lol. When I bought my WRR in March it only had 189 miles on it so it was basically new. I didn't really follow a break-in procedure but I am following their maintenance schedule closely.

Last edited by Coop on Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: What "Break-in procedure did you use?   What "Break-in procedure did you use? EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 1:07 pm

I rode it easy the first 100 miles. Light throttle, short shifting. Changed the oil. Rode it moderate the next 200 miles. Changed the oil again. Then I rode it like normal.

I don't have that much self control though. I wrung it out several times all through, I just took it easy on most of my commute.
Back to top Go down
bruno

bruno

PostSubject: Break in   What "Break-in procedure did you use? EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 3:59 pm

Yamaha have built a brilliant motorcycle, we all know that.

So I trust them to know what is best for the machine.

I think that following their brake-in directions is the smart thing to do.
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: What "Break-in procedure did you use?   What "Break-in procedure did you use? EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 4:21 pm

The salesman at yamaha told me to ride the bike how I intend to ride it.dont ride it at full throttle for an hour, but don't baby it. As posted, change the oil. 10 times f you want in the first 2000kms. I did 250km, 500km, 2000 and I change every 2000km. I ride it hard and it only has 1.3l of oil so at $13 a litre, it's cheap peice of mind. The oil does everything in the motor so I would just rather do it often then wait till the bitter end
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: What "Break-in procedure did you use?   What "Break-in procedure did you use? EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 4:27 pm

Yeah, I change mine more often than 3000 miles, that's for sure. It holds so little oil, and it can rev to 10,000 RPM, I think a quart of oil every now and then is the nice thing to do.
Back to top Go down
Delta_T

Delta_T

PostSubject: Re: What "Break-in procedure did you use?   What "Break-in procedure did you use? EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 5:36 pm

There was much talk about this on a snowmobile forum I am on.
Somebody pointed out this article: clicky

I am not sure that I agree with everything but its' a good read. I basically says: pin it !
Back to top Go down
Just Bob

Just Bob

PostSubject: Re: What "Break-in procedure did you use?   What "Break-in procedure did you use? EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 6:48 pm

Three heat cycles for hot spots, change the oil and and wring it's neck.
Back to top Go down
kingsquid

kingsquid

PostSubject: Re: What "Break-in procedure did you use?   What "Break-in procedure did you use? EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 4:09 pm

I followed the factory recommendations as close as I could. An old motocross buddy of mine (whom I trust) told me to get on it on occasion so the rings seat. 1800 miles, it's running fine. thumb
Back to top Go down
Pokey

Pokey

PostSubject: Re: What "Break-in procedure did you use?   What "Break-in procedure did you use? EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 10:04 pm

Some worry too much, just ride it normally and change the oil/filter early..........then keep on riding it. thumb
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What "Break-in procedure did you use?   What "Break-in procedure did you use? Empty

Back to top Go down

What "Break-in procedure did you use?
Page 1 of 1